Campy 10 sp brake/derailleur cable installation

Charles Berista

Guest
Somewhere I remember reading that ferrules are NOT to be used on either the brake or the derailleur
housing where they enter the ergo shifters..I can't remember which. I read the campy manual and
didn't find anything. Any advice? I'm all set up ready to install but don't dare proceed without
resolving this.

thanks

charlie

I re-read the manual.... looks like the derailleur cable housing gets a ferrule and the brake cable
housing does not.. sound right??

it didn't have any grave warnings of problems if a cable end/ferrule is used.

what happens if there is a ferrule on the brake cable housing?

thanks charlie

Charles Beristain wrote:
> Somewhere I remember reading that ferrules are NOT to be used on either the brake or the
> derailleur housing where they enter the ergo shifters..I can't remember which. I read the campy
> manual and didn't find anything. Any advice? I'm all set up ready to install but don't dare
> proceed without resolving this.

Ferrules should be used on gear cables where they enter the Ergos (and cable stops) but not on brake
cables. New cable sets are supplied with these already fitted to the Ergo ends.

The ferrules are needed because gear cable housing strands run lengthwise, but brake housing is
spiralled.

www.campagnolo.com/pdf/ERGOPOWER.pdf - pages 13 & 16 (also note which end of cable is
prelubricated).

~PB

Charles Beristain wrote:

> what happens if there is a ferrule on the brake cable housing?

Could get jammed in. A ferrule might be ok (or even necessary?) on smaller non-Campag cables for all
I know, but is definitely not appropriate on Campag brake cables at the Ergo end. However, a ferrule
can help at the brake end with certain non-Campag brakes.

~PB

thank you charlie

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 23:55:23 -0000, "Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

>Ferrules should be used on gear cables where they enter the Ergos (and cable stops) but not on
>brake cables. New cable sets are supplied with these already fitted to the Ergo ends.
>
>The ferrules are needed because gear cable housing strands run lengthwise, but brake housing is
>spiralled.
>
>www.campagnolo.com/pdf/ERGOPOWER.pdf - pages 13 & 16 (also note which end of cable is
>prelubricated).
>
>~PB

Charlie-<< Somewhere I remember reading that ferrules are NOT to be used on either the brake or the
derailleur housing where they enter the ergo shifters.. >><BR><BR>

Pet peeve number 73..NO ferrules for the brake housing, YES to ferrules for the der housing, why
they are included with the cable kit.

charlie-<< I re-read the manual.... looks like the derailleur cable housing gets a ferrule and the
brake cable housing does not.. sound right?? >><BR><BR>

Correct.

charlie<< it didn't have any grave warnings of problems if a cable end/ferrule is used.

what happens if there is a ferrule on the brake cable housing? >><BR><BR>

Get stuck in there and you cannot ensure the housing goes into it or hits the edge, tearing up the
hpusing..NO ferrules for the brakes, not since 1997. or so-

Yes, ferrules were included in my cable kit. However, I don't remember reading specifically that
they didn't belong on the brake cables; only that there were not enough to go on the brake
cables as well as the gear cables. One either had to guess right or had to go "borrow" some
ferrules elsewhere. (I had done the latter but read to do otherwise from Peter just before it
was "too late".)

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in news:20040215093851.19352.00001324@mb-
m26.aol.com:

> Charlie-<< Somewhere I remember reading that ferrules are NOT to be used on either the brake or
> the derailleur housing where they enter the ergo shifters.. >><BR><BR>
>
> Pet peeve number 73..NO ferrules for the brake housing, YES to ferrules for the der housing, why
> they are included with the cable kit.

On 15 Feb 2004 14:38:51 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
Campagnolo) wrote:

>Pet peeve number 73..NO ferrules for the brake housing, YES to ferrules for the der housing, why
>they are included with the cable kit.

I'll have to pull the cables to see if there is a ferrule buried in the slot for the brake cable in
the ergo shifter...

also.. in the manual there is a listing of what comes in the package.. item F rear der special
casing end ... what do i use that for? .. it doesn't fit properly in any of the cable stops.

thanks charlie

Charles Beristain wrote:
> also.. in the manual there is a listing of what comes in the package.. item F rear der special
> casing end ... what do i use that for? .. it doesn't fit properly in any of the cable stops.

A casing end is needed at both ends of the short cable that goes into the rear derailleur. The
extra one is an alternative for a stop that you might have on an older or more unusual frame. Sell
it on eBay :)

~PB

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 05:47:04 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
<ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

>A casing end is needed at both ends of the short cable that goes into the rear derailleur. The
>extra one is an alternative for a stop that you might have on an older or more unusual frame. Sell
>it on eBay :)

Pete thanks. last night i fished out the ferrule from the rear brake ergo shifter.. phew! I was
worried i wasn't going to be able to get it out.

Now to tighten everything up and re-wind the cork tape on the handlebars.

The bike I recently got had the stem placed in a negative position and the drop was too, too, much
for me.. so I'm reversing the stem... however, they cut the cables so short, that I can't reverse
the stem without cutting new/longer cables and housings.

Whne it is all said and done, I still may have to buy a shorter stem.. only time will tell.

charlie

got it all back together... will give it a test ride on friday. thanks everyone for all the help.

charlie