Campy 10 spd rear work with 9 spd?

Sir Ridesalot

Guest
Hi there.

Does a Campy Mirage or Veloce rear derailleur work well with 2006 9
spd Ergos and Shimano 9 spd cassette using a Sram PC-951 9 spd chain?

The reason I ask is because my understanding is that the 10 spd rear
derailleur cage is narrower than the 9 spd one.

Thanks again. Peter

In article <[email protected]>,
Sir Ridesalot <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> Does a Campy Mirage or Veloce rear derailleur work well with 2006 9
> spd Ergos and Shimano 9 spd cassette using a Sram PC-951 9 spd chain?
>
> The reason I ask is because my understanding is that the 10 spd rear
> derailleur cage is narrower than the 9 spd one.
>
> Thanks again. Peter

Well, you could just get an older Campy derailer.

I have 9v Veloce shifters driving a 9v Shimano cassette via a 9v (old
leverage ratio spec) Veloce? rear derailer. The shifting is as good as
on my all-Shimano CX bike, if not better.

On Apr 19, 11:39 pm, Sir Ridesalot <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> Does a Campy Mirage or Veloce rear derailleur work well with 2006 9
> spd Ergos and Shimano 9 spd cassette using a Sram PC-951 9 spd chain?
>
> The reason I ask is because my understanding is that the 10 spd rear
> derailleur cage is narrower than the 9 spd one.
>
> Thanks again. Peter

Yes, w/o problem or modification.

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> Does a Campy Mirage or Veloce rear derailleur work well with 2006 9
> spd Ergos and Shimano 9 spd cassette using a Sram PC-951 9 spd chain?
>
> The reason I ask is because my understanding is that the 10 spd rear
> derailleur cage is narrower than the 9 spd one.
>
> Thanks again. Peter

it is narrower. if it bugs you, you can swap out the cup/washer
thingies from your 9-speed pulleys onto the new derailleur to have it
spaced "correctly".

On Apr 19, 10:39 pm, Sir Ridesalot <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> Does a Campy Mirage or Veloce rear derailleur work well with 2006 9
> spd Ergos and Shimano 9 spd cassette using a Sram PC-951 9 spd chain?
>
> The reason I ask is because my understanding is that the 10 spd rear
> derailleur cage is narrower than the 9 spd one.
>
> Thanks again. Peter

FWIW, When I switched from a 9S Veloce long cage to a 10S Centaur
short cage, the SRAM PC-971 rubbed the cage plates. I could have
swiped the pulleys (or just their washers) from the 9S part, but I
just switched to a Wipperman 1008 (6.2mm) chain and everything was
fine. It shifted great on my Campy and SRAM 9S cassettes, as well as
my Campy 10S ones after I got my 10S shifters.

And as Peter Chisholm (QSPC) has often pointed out, 9S Shimano/SRAM
cassettes work fine with otherwise Campy 10S setups, you just need to
adjust the cable and the limit screws to lock out the last click.