Campy 10-speed chain - where to buy?

Colin Campbell

Guest
It's time for me to get a new chain. I see a couple of places
advertising the chain at $49.99. I looked at comparison pricing, and it
showed Colorado Cyclist at $47.99, and Supergo at $35.98. However, when
I go to those Web sites, I don't see those prices. I did find a price
of $44.99 at Competitive Cyclist.

My local shop charged me close to $60 for the chain last time, so I'm
tempted to buy elsewhere and get my buddy to help me install the chain.

Any tips on where to buy?

Also, I have a Super Link on the chain right now. These are described
as "reusable". Are they really? Should I buy another Super Link?

Go Wipperman and you'll also get the link to join the chain that does not
require the Campy tool and you can remove the chain to clean as needed.

I get the Nickle plated ones from Lickton, I think they 32.95 now. I bought
several earlier this year for 29.95

news:[email protected]...

Colin Campbell wrote:
> It's time for me to get a new chain. I see a couple of places
> advertising the chain at $49.99. I looked at comparison pricing, and it
> showed Colorado Cyclist at $47.99, and Supergo at $35.98. However, when
> I go to those Web sites, I don't see those prices. I did find a price
> of $44.99 at Competitive Cyclist.
>
> My local shop charged me close to $60 for the chain last time, so I'm
> tempted to buy elsewhere and get my buddy to help me install the chain.
>
> Any tips on where to buy?
>
> Also, I have a Super Link on the chain right now. These are described
> as "reusable". Are they really? Should I buy another Super Link?

Should not reuse the superlink or any connecting link. They get worn
just like a chain. If you are not going to use the snap link, ensure
your 'buudy' knows what he's doing. You need a really good chain tool
or the Campagnolo one to do it correctly.

Wipperman is a good 10s chain as is the Campagnolo one. Many online
places have them, as you have found. I think the Campagnolo chain works
the best, however, particularly with Campact set\ups.

There are two Campy "Record" 10 speed chains... The "Ultra" is usually
$50 online and the regular one is usually $40 online... Last week
SuperGo had the regular one for $35...

The only difference between the chains is the Ultra has hollow pins and
drilled side plates... The Ultra is 20 grams lighter...

http://www.campagnolo.com/groupsets.php?gid=1&cid=6

--
Mike (Xyzzy)

On 12 Aug 2005 08:15:19 -0700, "Xyzzy" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The only difference between the chains is the Ultra has hollow pins and
>drilled side plates... The Ultra is 20 grams lighter...

A whole 20 grams is worth $10? So if you stick an extra mars bar in your
pocket, you're carrying around $30 worth of dead weight.

Jasper