Campy 10-speed crankset with a 9-speed groupset?

BillyK

Dec 3, 2010
Greetings,
I've just recently purchased a 2000 Bianchi Veloce. (Full Veloce groupset, 9-speed) I'm looking to replace both the crankset w/chainrings as well as the cassette. (Tooth count will remain the same for both chain rings & cassette) Will a 10-speed Veloce crankset be compatible with the rest of the groupset? Also, will I require a 10-speed chain or can I stay with the existing chain?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The only difference between the 9 and 10 speed (and I think the same for 11s too) Campagnolo cranksets is the thickness of the chainrings. As far as I am aware the tooth centres and spacing on the chainrings did not change so they should be fine for use with either a 9s or 10s chain. On cranks with bolts behind the crank arm (chorus and record) this necessitated the use of a small shim between the crank and the big ring, but for the five arm spider type, no real change was needed.

The existing 9 speed chain can be used as long as it is not worn and will properly mesh with the new rings and cassette.

If not, there may be some 9 speed Campagnolo chains still around. Otherwise you will be hunting for an aftermarket type (Clarks, Connex, YBN, etc). The 10s chain will definietely mesh with the 10s rings and it may work with the 9s cassette but I don't have a definitive answer on it. You can but try!

Can I ask: Why do you need to change the cranks?