Campy 10 speed front D question

I have a 10 speed Dayton front D that is missing that plastic plate on
the outer cage. How does this affect the shifting? Can I now only use
this for 9 speed, or will it still work for both?

Josh

[email protected] wrote:
> I have a 10 speed Dayton front D that is missing that plastic plate on
> the outer cage. How does this affect the shifting? Can I now only use
> this for 9 speed, or will it still work for both?

It will shift fine for either without the insert.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > I have a 10 speed Dayton front D that is missing that plastic plate on
> > the outer cage. How does this affect the shifting? Can I now only use
> > this for 9 speed, or will it still work for both?

> It will shift fine for either without the insert.
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Amazing, isn't it Andy. And people wonder why we all mess with this NG.
Most of the time, I take that plastic thing out. makes it easier to
find the proper distances for the FD.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> A Muzi wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > I have a 10 speed Dayton front D that is missing that plastic plate on
> > > the outer cage. How does this affect the shifting? Can I now only use
> > > this for 9 speed, or will it still work for both?

> > It will shift fine for either without the insert.
> >
> > --
> > Andrew Muzi
> > www.yellowjersey.org
> > Open every day since 1 April, 1971

> Most of the time, I take that plastic thing out. makes it easier to
> find the proper distances for the FD.

I have a Veloce 10 speed double front derailleur with the plastic
thing. Soon to go on a 10 speed bike. Can you take the plastic thing
out and put it back in without destroying it. Looking at it, it seems
like it would break getting it out. I might like to try the derailleur
with and without the plastic piece on the 10 speed bike.

On 6 Mar 2006 05:39:38 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Amazing, isn't it Andy. And people wonder why we all mess with this NG.
>Most of the time, I take that plastic thing out. makes it easier to
>find the proper distances for the FD.

Was the plastic bit there for the original link that connected the
Campy 10 chain? I break all mine off.

[email protected] wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > A Muzi wrote:
> > >
> > > It will shift fine for either without the insert.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Andrew Muzi
> > > www.yellowjersey.org
> > > Open every day since 1 April, 1971

> > Most of the time, I take that plastic thing out. makes it easier to
> > find the proper distances for the FD.

> I have a Veloce 10 speed double front derailleur with the plastic
> thing. Soon to go on a 10 speed bike. Can you take the plastic thing
> out and put it back in without destroying it. Looking at it, it seems
> like it would break getting it out. I might like to try the derailleur
> with and without the plastic piece on the 10 speed bike.

Push gently on the part that overlaps the der cage, it'll pop off. It
was originally for the permalink, so rubbing on the FD didn't rub the
link pin heads off. Now not really needed. Maybe on the carbon record
outer cage to not wear the carbon but....