Campy 10-speed w/ ERGO and disk brakes: Can it be done?

Jeff S.

Guest
Currently I have a Surly Cross x Check (using Empella Frogglegs cantis) and 10-speed double Daytona
group (13x29 and 53/39) and would like to get a different frame and run my Campy with disk brakes.

I'm looking for another multi-tasking (tour/city/commute/trailer hauling/CX) frame that uses disc
brakes. I've identifed Giant and Cannondale so far as possible options.

To make Campy 10-speed work, I think I will need to use an American Classic (or maybe TA or Mavic)
cassette on Shimano cassette-compatible wheels. Any thoughts?

Any problems with lever travel (ERGO) with disk brakes? Any other compatibility issues? I'd would
REALLY rather not run bar-end shifters. I suppose certain brands/types of disk brakes are better
suited to road levers. More research necessary. I don't see any reason why I couldn't use my top
mount brake levers. Any thoughts?

Next step is to do research on a nice pair of disc hubs, w/o the immediate knee jerk reaction to go
to Chris King. I suppose that they will have to be 135 rear spacing.

Thanks for your time and advice.

"Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Currently I have a Surly Cross x Check (using Empella Frogglegs cantis)
and
> 10-speed double Daytona group (13x29 and 53/39) and would like to get a different frame and run my
> Campy with disk brakes.
>
> I'm looking for another multi-tasking (tour/city/commute/trailer
hauling/CX)
> frame that uses disc brakes. I've identifed Giant and Cannondale so far
as
> possible options.
>
> To make Campy 10-speed work, I think I will need to use an American
Classic
> (or maybe TA or Mavic) cassette on Shimano cassette-compatible wheels.
Any
> thoughts?
>
> Any problems with lever travel (ERGO) with disk brakes? Any other compatibility issues? I'd would
> REALLY rather not run bar-end shifters.
> suppose certain brands/types of disk brakes are better suited to road levers. More research
> necessary. I don't see any reason why I couldn't use my top mount brake levers. Any thoughts?

Your ergo levers would be compatible only with Avid mechanical disc brakes, road version. All others
are compatible with vee-style levers only.

> Next step is to do research on a nice pair of disc hubs, w/o the immediate knee jerk reaction to
> go to Chris King. I suppose that they will have to
be
> 135 rear spacing.
>
> Thanks for your time and advice.

Robin Hubert

What do you think you will gain on your road bicycle with disk brakes?

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 14:04:33 -0500, "Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote:

>Currently I have a Surly Cross x Check (using Empella Frogglegs cantis) and 10-speed double Daytona
>group (13x29 and 53/39) and would like to get a different frame and run my Campy with disk brakes.

You are spot on with you initial impressions.

In fact you can see the answer to the question at www.vanillabicycles.com Sacha and Bill Larson at
Cyclepath ([email protected]) here in portland have done this for a custom cross rig.

The Hub is an AC mountain bike hub (which is identical to the road hub on the drive side). So you
can take a disc mountain hub and swap the body for a campy one.

Use the avid road calipers. that is what giant and cannondale (among others) are using. The ramps on
the bearing are set up to work with sti/ergo levers.

The guy who owns the orange bike also had top-mount brake levers... these are tricky since the disc
brake return-spring tension is a bit weak. you can do it ... but it is not 100% smooth.

in summary ... AC mtb hub (135 spacing) + campy freebody + avid road mech disc = love

hope this helped

geoff

"Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Currently I have a Surly Cross x Check (using Empella Frogglegs cantis)
and
> 10-speed double Daytona group (13x29 and 53/39) and would like to get a different frame and run my
> Campy with disk brakes.
>
> I'm looking for another multi-tasking (tour/city/commute/trailer
hauling/CX)
> frame that uses disc brakes. I've identifed Giant and Cannondale so far
as
> possible options.
>
> To make Campy 10-speed work, I think I will need to use an American
Classic
> (or maybe TA or Mavic) cassette on Shimano cassette-compatible wheels.
Any
> thoughts?
>
> Any problems with lever travel (ERGO) with disk brakes? Any other compatibility issues? I'd would
> REALLY rather not run bar-end shifters.
> suppose certain brands/types of disk brakes are better suited to road levers. More research
> necessary. I don't see any reason why I couldn't use my top mount brake levers. Any thoughts?
>
> Next step is to do research on a nice pair of disc hubs, w/o the immediate knee jerk reaction to
> go to Chris King. I suppose that they will have to
be
> 135 rear spacing.
>
> Thanks for your time and advice.

Here is a direct response I received to my original and later thoughts, that is worth sharing.

Subject: Re: Campy 10-speed w/ ERGO and disk brakes: Can it be done?

> Hello Mike,
>
> I recently read about the Kinesis in Cycling Plus magazine. This is where
> get a lot of my ideas re project bikes. My other bike is an Omega w/ Chorus, which I again
> discovered in C+ mag. Thanks.
>
> The idea re Hugi hubs makes really good sense, since I want to stay with a double and was counting
> on the 29T cog. Through the various responses and my research it appears the Avid mechanical disc
> brakes are the
overwhelming
> favorite and my only good choice, which is exactly what you said.
>
> One thing I noticed, is that many disc brake compatible frames also have canti studs, I guess the
> option is open to consider if I could run a disc on the front and a canti on the rear, for
> example. But as the rear gets most fouled and the front provides the majority of the stopping
> power, I need to better think through if this makes sense after evaluating my expected riding
> conditions.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Jeff
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Hardy" <[email protected]> To: "Jeff S."
> <[email protected]> Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 9:23 AM Subject: Re: Campy 10-speed w/ ERGO and
> disk brakes: Can it be done?
>

> > Jeff S. wrote:
> >
> > > I'm looking for another multi-tasking (tour/city/commute/trailer hauling/CX) frame that uses
> > > disc brakes. I've identifed Giant and Cannondale so far as possible options.
> >
> > Also have a look at the Kinesis Crosslight Pro. (There are two "Crosslights" in their range -
> > it's the more expensive one that best fits your needs. I'm pretty sure that it's called the
> > "Pro", but I might be wrong.)
> >
> > > Any problems with lever travel (ERGO) with disk brakes?
> >
> > If you go for the road version of the Avid ones, no. And they seem to be rated as well as any
> > other cable disc brake - indeed, they're probably the best right now.
> >
> > Every other cable disc brake that I know of assume MTB levers, and will not work properly with
> > Ergo levers. You could fit a Travel Agent or similar to work around this, but why add extra
> > complexity to run a different brake that's probably worse than the Avid anyway?
> >
> > > To make Campy 10-speed work, I think I will need to use an American Classic (or maybe TA or
> > > Mavic) cassette on Shimano cassette-compatible wheels. Any thoughts?
> > >
> > > Next step is to do research on a nice pair of disc hubs, w/o the immediate knee jerk reaction
> > > to go to Chris King. I suppose that they will have to be 135 rear spacing.
> >
> > I'd look at getting a disc hub with a body for a Campag cassette, and 135mm or 130mm spacing as
> > required. I'd then use a regular Campag cassette. This is more likely to be future proof.
> >
> > Hugi hubs are pretty modular, and can be put together in a variety of ways, not all of which are
> > in their regular catalog. But they'll probably do a one off combination. (They certainly offered
> > this service to me in the past, when I wanted a 135mm hub that would take a Campag cassette. I
> > ended up going a different route, but that's another story).
> >
> > The same is possibly also true of Phil Woods hubs.
> >
> > Contact DT Swiss (who make Hugi) and/or Phil Wood.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Mike Hardy Technical Publications, ARM Ltd Direct dial: +44 (0) 1223 400762 http://www.arm.com/

I'm looking for a surly cross check (50 cm)...are you selling yours?

joe collins
vancouver bc
canada

'
Originally posted by Jeff S.
[...]

Our tandem has C10 and disc rear. Avid road mechanical has leverage requirements to match ergo. We
also have over 3500 tandem miles on an American classic disc hub (36 holes) no problems. Forks
from Quality Bike Products Dimension brand will work, but pay some attention to axle-crown
distance to compliment your frame. Velocity off center aerohead rims work nicely with disc hubs to
control dish. Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles "Where art meets science" brunibicycles.com
news:[email protected]...