Campy 10s build on older Klein

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jefmix

I'm building up my old Klein Quantum frame with used Campy 10s components. First thing I ran
into is rear dropout spacing is narrower than the cassette hub (yes, frame is of freewheel
vintage). Is there any problem with stretching the stays to accomodate the wider cassette? I'd
be more comfortable with this on a steel frame, but thought I'd ask the experts here when it
comes to Aluminum.

The other thing I've noticed is the alignment of the chainrings when mounted - they seem to be
farther out, and not centered on the cassette. Related to this is the front der. a/b adjustment are
to the extreems to accomodate the more outward position of the chainrings on the spindle. The BB is
pressed into the frame, and is Campy taper circa late 80's early 90's.

I'm worried this chainring/der/cassette alignment situation may be a deal breaker for my trusty old
Klein. Any advice?

Originally posted by Jefmix
I'm building up my old Klein Quantum frame with used Campy 10s components. First thing I ran
into is rear dropout spacing is narrower than the cassette hub (yes, frame is of freewheel
vintage). Is there any problem with stretching the stays to accomodate the wider cassette? I'd
be more comfortable with this on a steel frame, but thought I'd ask the experts here when it
comes to Aluminum.

The other thing I've noticed is the alignment of the chainrings when mounted - they seem to be
farther out, and not centered on the cassette. Related to this is the front der. a/b adjustment are
to the extreems to accomodate the more outward position of the chainrings on the spindle. The BB is

I'm worried this chainring/der/cassette alignment situation may be a deal breaker for my trusty old
Klein. Any advice?

Spreading the rear triangle on an aluminum bike is not advisable, but apparently you already did it. If this took more than just finger strength or if it doesn't spring back to the original width when you take the hub out you may have seriously weakend your frame at the bottom bracket area.

Someone else will have to answer the chainring alignment issue but I doubt if you'll ever get a good result by mixing a frame designed for a freewheel with 10-speed components.

I suggest turning your Klein into a fixie and getting a newer frame with 130mm spacing for the Campy parts. 130mm has been the standard for for at least 14 years now so there are plenty of used frames you could get.

Hi, I have just finished building my older klein quantum from the 80s and Klein told me I could slightly pull the rear stays open to accomidate a Zipp cassette/8spd,so I did ,no problemsI'm building up my old Klein Quantum frame with used Campy 10s components. First thing I ran
comes to Aluminum.

Klein. Any advice?
[/QUOTE]

If you measure the actual spacing between the dropouts on the frame you will find that frequently it
is greater than 126. You can respace the hub to 128 and it may go right in or need only slight hand
spreading to go into the frame.

The bottom bracket you are using is too long for the crankset.

> I'm building up my old Klein Quantum frame with used Campy 10s components. First thing I ran into
> is rear dropout spacing is
narrower
> than the cassette hub (yes, frame is of freewheel vintage). Is
there any
> problem with stretching the stays to accomodate the wider
cassette? I'd
> be more comfortable with this on a steel frame, but thought I'd
ask the
> experts here when it comes to Aluminum. The other thing I've noticed is the alignment of the
> chainrings
when
> mounted - they seem to be farther out, and not centered on the
cassette.
> Related to this is the front der. a/b adjustment are to the
extreems to
> accomodate the more outward position of the chainrings on the
spindle.
> The BB is pressed into the frame, and is Campy taper circa late
80's
> early 90's. I'm worried this chainring/der/cassette alignment situation may be
a
> deal breaker for my trusty old Klein. Any advice?

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:56:46 +0000, jefmix wrote:

> The other thing I've noticed is the alignment of the chainrings when mounted - they seem to be
> farther out, and not centered on the cassette. Related to this is the front der. a/b adjustment
> are to the extreems to accomodate the more outward position of the chainrings on the spindle. The
> BB is pressed into the frame, and is Campy taper circa late 80's early 90's.

This is an object lesson to all those who want to get integrated headsets. I wonder whether it will
be possible to replace that bottom bracket. Probably not. Your one hope is to check with Klein.

What happened to the old cranks? Are they bad? If they are OK, and if the bottom bracket still
spins smoothly, why not use them? Don't worry about "speeds", it should work fine with
10-speed chain.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all _`\(,_ | mysteries, and all
knowledge; and though I have all faith, so (_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not
charity, I am nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

jefmix-<< I'm building up my old Klein Quantum frame with used Campy 10s components. First thing I
ran into is rear dropout spacing is narrower than the cassette hub (yes, frame is of freewheel
vintage). Is there any problem with stretching the stays to accomodate the wider cassette?
>><BR><BR>

'May" break the dropouts at the seat stays as the skewer forces the dropouts parallel..may not also
but it is a possibility.

A work around is using a shimano rear hub, respaced to 128mm or so by removing spacers, then using a
Wheels manufacturing 10s cassette.

<< The other thing I've noticed is the alignment of the chainrings when mounted - they seem to be
pressed into the frame, and is Campy taper circa late 80's early 90's. >><BR><BR>

Probably a 111mm spindle and you may be using a crank needing a 102mm spindle. Get a Campagnolo
crank for 111mm spindle, like Centaur and on down.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Status
Not open for further replies.