Campy 10s chain removal/reinstallation

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Wayne Pein, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Wayne Pein

    Wayne Pein Guest

    Can I remove and reinstall a Campy 10s chain by
    partially pushing out the hollow pin with a chain tool
    and then pushing it back in when I put it back on? I've
    done that for years on other chains for cleaning
    purposes and was wondering if there is some reason I
    shouldn't do it on Campy 10.

    Thanks, Wayne

    Tags:

  2. Jeff & Jane

    Jeff & Jane Guest

    I would never do that. Get yourself a Wipperman 10sp link to use on your
    Campy chain. That is what I use.
    "Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can I remove and reinstall a Campy 10s chain by partially
    > pushing out the hollow pin with a chain tool and then
    > pushing it back in when I put it back on? I've done that
    > for years on other chains for cleaning purposes and was
    > wondering if there is some reason I shouldn't do it on
    > Campy 10.
    >
    > Thanks, Wayne

  3. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    > Can I remove and reinstall a Campy 10s chain by partially
    > pushing out the hollow pin with a chain tool and then
    > pushing it back in when I put it back on?

    I've ridden like that for two years without problems. I
    switched to SRAM 9 speed Gold PowerLinks then, much easier
    to connect the chain and i get them for free at my LBS when
    i buy some other stuff.

    "Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can I remove and reinstall a Campy 10s chain by partially
    > pushing out the hollow pin with a chain tool and then
    > pushing it back in when I put it back on? I've done that
    > for years on other chains for cleaning purposes and was
    > wondering if there is some reason I shouldn't do it on
    > Campy 10.
    >
    > Thanks, Wayne

  4. Kb

    Kb Guest

    I also use a wipperman nickel 10 chain. Easy on off, no
    tools, runs smooth.

    "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > > Can I remove and reinstall a Campy 10s chain by
    > > partially pushing out the hollow pin with a chain tool
    > > and then pushing it back in when I put it back on?
    >
    > I've ridden like that for two years without problems. I
    > switched to SRAM 9 speed Gold PowerLinks then, much easier
    > to connect the chain and i get
    them
    > for free at my LBS when i buy some other stuff.
    >

    > "Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Can I remove and reinstall a Campy 10s chain by
    > > partially pushing out the hollow pin with a chain tool
    > > and then pushing it back in when I put it back on? I've
    > > done that for years on other chains for cleaning
    > > purposes and was wondering if there is some reason I
    > > shouldn't do it on Campy 10.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Wayne

  5. wpein-<< Can I remove and reinstall a Campy 10s chain by
    partially pushing out the hollow pin with a chain tool and
    then pushing it back in when I put it back on? >><BR><BR>

    No they are not designed to do this and you may break the
    chain there when riding. Use the supplied push thru pin or
    use a snap link like the Connex one.

    Boulder, CO, 80302
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  6. Wayne Pein