Campy 10sp FD on 8sp drivetrain?

NeedsLotsOfHelp

Nov 26, 2006
Recently moved to a triple chainring set and determined that I need to get FD designed for the triple chainrings. Everything is 8 speed (the triple might be 9 speed, but I am not sure -- it's a Veloce triple). The current Record 8sp double FD must be swaped out, but all that is available are Campy 10sp FD's. Can I use the 10sp FD's with an 8 speed drivetrain? I know that the 10sp chain is thinner -- does the thicker 8sp chain cause a problem with the 10sp FD's? I saw somewthing about an insert that can be popped out to accomodate the 8sp chain -- is that right? Are there problems created by not using the insert?

Do I have to change any other components to make this all work? (Hopefully not).

Alternatively, does anyone know where I can get a Campy 8 or 9 speed triple FD?

Thanks for the help.

The insert is actually a hard plastic thingy that smoothens front shifting (instead of the chain grinding against the stainless metal plate). The 10s FD is actually same as the 9s but with the insert. Possibly it'll work if you can live with trimming problems using an 8s chain.

NeedsLotsOfHelp said:
Recently moved to a triple chainring set and determined that I need to get FD designed for the triple chainrings. Everything is 8 speed (the triple might be 9 speed, but I am not sure -- it's a Veloce triple). The current Record 8sp double FD must be swaped out, but all that is available are Campy 10sp FD's. Can I use the 10sp FD's with an 8 speed drivetrain? I know that the 10sp chain is thinner -- does the thicker 8sp chain cause a problem with the 10sp FD's? I saw somewthing about an insert that can be popped out to accomodate the 8sp chain -- is that right? Are there problems created by not using the insert?

Do I have to change any other components to make this all work? (Hopefully not).

Thanks for the help.
You WILL encounter minor problems if you choose to use a 10-speed Campagnolo front derailleur with your 8-speed drivetrain unless you opt to remove the insert (which made the 9-speed front derailleur a 10-speed front derailleur) ... and, even then, you may have minor problems UNLESS (and, this would be a good option for you to consider, regardless) you opt to switch to a narrower chain.

For a week, when I used a thicker, 8-speed chain with a 9-speed SHIMANO front derailleur, I found that I needed to trim the front derailleur more often ...that is, the shifters WERE/ARE Campagnolo; but, I resorted to using the only "spare" chain I had at the moment ... or perhaps, I should say it was the only "spare" front derailleur I had since I the cassette was an 8-speed! The additional cog-and-chainwheel combinations that I encountered where eliminated when I matched the chain to the front derailleur.

If you are not a CAMPY ONLY type (not that there is anything wrong with that!), then consider getting almost any Shimano front derailleur (except the Shimano 10-speed type) which is suitable for your frame BECAUSE Shimano front derailleurs of almost every ilk (new/used, 8-/9-speed, double/triple, bottom/top pull) are available to suit your needs AND MAINLY because the Campagnolo front shifter is indifferent to the derailleur it is indexed to (many Campy cognoscenti now use Shimano front derailleurs instead of Campy front derailleurs because they supposedly shift better -- I happen to use Shimano front derailleurs because they are what I have AND they work).

A 9-speed (Shimano-type/-width ... the SRAM 89R was a common 9-speed replacement chain used with Camapgnolo 10-speed drivetrains, so that would also be a good choice) chain is a good option for 8-and-9-speed Campy drivetrains, IMO; so, a 9-speed front derailleur would be okay; but, the wider cage of an 8-speed in tandem with a 9-speed chain MIGHT mean that there will be ring/cog combinations where you won't need to trim the front derailleur that you would have needed to in the past AND/OR you could continue to use your current chain!

If you insist on an 8-speed Campagnolo front derailleur that is triple capable (I think there was ONLY ONE), then check eBay on a regular basis.

Let me see if I've got this correctly. I'll try to summarize by listing the options in order of their least cost/problems characteristics:

1) Buy an 8sp Shimano triple FD (which are in plentiful supply as well as easily and inexpensively obtained). Minimal issues, if any, with the Campy 8sp chain or shifters. (It might, however, be the only non-Campy part of the drivetrain. Could be sacreligious).

2) Wait until an 8sp Campy FD turns up on ebaY and make sure you out bid everyone. (Could be a long wait, however)

3) Buy a 10sp Campy FD and remove insert and live with periodic trimming of the FD. (probably not much more expensive than option #2 and I could get it done now).

4) As #3 above, but add a 9sp Campy or SRAM chain to reduce FD trimming issues. (9sp Campy chain will work OK with the Campy 8sp cassette and 8sp RD, right?).

5) Give up and swap everything for 10sp Campy (FD, RD, cassette, crankset). Not sure I'm ready to do this yet.

With options #3 and #4, can anyone describe to me how bad the trimming issue would be? Would the Campy FD need trimming every 100 miles, 500 miles, or perhaps even less frequently? How much less trimming would adding the somewhat thinner 9sp chain get me?

I appreciate all the help and suggestions. Thanks.

NeedsLotsOfHelp said:
Let me see if I've got this correctly. I'll try to summarize by listing the options in order of their least cost/problems characteristics:

1) Buy an 8sp Shimano triple FD (which are in plentiful supply as well as easily and inexpensively obtained). Minimal issues, if any, with the Campy 8sp chain or shifters. (It might, however, be the only non-Campy part of the drivetrain. Could be sacreligious).

2) Wait until an 8sp Campy FD turns up on ebaY and make sure you out bid everyone. (Could be a long wait, however)

3) Buy a 10sp Campy FD and remove insert and live with periodic trimming of the FD. (probably not much more expensive than option #2 and I could get it done now).

4) As #3 above, but add a 9sp Campy or SRAM chain to reduce FD trimming issues. (9sp Campy chain will work OK with the Campy 8sp cassette and 8sp RD, right?).

5) Give up and swap everything for 10sp Campy (FD, RD, cassette, crankset). Not sure I'm ready to do this yet.

With options #3 and #4, can anyone describe to me how bad the trimming issue would be? Would the Campy FD need trimming every 100 miles, 500 miles, or perhaps even less frequently? How much less trimming would adding the somewhat thinner 9sp chain get me?

I appreciate all the help and suggestions. Thanks.
"Trimming" is the term used the same way with the front derailleur & chain as it is used nautically -- that is, trimming is an archaic term that has been borrowed to describe adjusting one's front derailleur -- and, trimming the derailleur is not adding fringe but finding the optimum position for the derailleur cage relative to the chain ...

The chain is to the wind as the derailleur cage is to the sail(s).

There are SOME positions with the front derailleur cage where the chain has a clear line to the rear cog the chain is also on ...

In the OLD DAYS of downtube friction shifters, the position of the front derailleur cage was trimmed by fiddling with the front derailleur's shift(ing) lever to move the front derailleur cage to-or-fro relative to the centerline of the bike.

The front derailleur can usually be "trimmed" between a couple of positions before a shift occurs or a "stop" is reached when using indexed shifters.

So, instead of optimizing the sail to maximize the wind, one optimizes the front derailleur so that the chain's movement is maximized -- i.e., the chain is not rubbing against the derailleur cage.

So, trimming happens frequently unless you never shift between the cogs on the rear OR unless you don't mind the chain rubbing against the inside of the plates of the front derailleur's cage.

And, with your 8-speed cassette (as an example), you may have to trim the front derailleur when the chain is on the smallest & largest cogs if the chain is an 8-speed and the cage is an 8-speed ... BUT (and, your results may vary), with the narrower front derailleur but while still using an 8-speed chain, you might have to trim the front derailleur when the chain is on the smallest two OR largest two cogs.

Cable tension, another issue, should be adjusted as needed ...

Thanks for the clarification on "trimming". It's actually less of a problem to my mind than I had assumed. I figure if I stay away from certain gear combinations that I might not use anyway (e.g., large chainring - large sprocket) I shouldn't have too much of a problem.

I am going to get a 9 or 10sp Campy FD (probably Chorus) and have already ordered a SRAM PC-991 9sp chain (that I got a good deal on) to help with any potential problems. I think can also find a Campy C9 chain as well. I'm not sure which one will work better in this situation (any thoughts before I try them?).

Thanks for all the input.

NeedsLotsOfHelp said:
I am going to get a 9 or 10sp Campy FD (probably Chorus) and have already ordered a SRAM PC-991 9sp chain (that I got a good deal on) to help with any potential problems. I think can also find a Campy C9 chain as well. I'm not sure which one will work better in this situation (any thoughts before I try them?).
I think the SRAM chain will be fine ...

NeedsLotsOfHelp said:

Thanks for the help.

Option #3

I currently use Veloce 10s triple FD (no plastic insert to remove) with SRAM 9s chain on Campy 8s Mirage triple crankset on one of my bikes. Works well. Much less trimming required than with 8s chain and front shifting is very good. The beauty of Campy front shifting is that you can trim easily--much more so than Shimano.

I prefer the SRAM to Campy chain because of the ease of the Powerlink.