Campy 10sp Front Deraileur Adjustment

Aztec

Jul 8, 2003
I'm running Chorus, 10sp, about 350 miles on it. After shortening the chain, and fiddling forever w/ the rear deraileur, I finally have the back end working.

But the front is still totally unsolved. The only way I can keep it from making a ton of racket when on the 29 rear cog, is to adjust it far enough inside so that it clears (duh). But the downside is that it then ticks against the chain when on the 13 rear. And, it can't swing out far enough to jump the chain to the big ring. Ugggggggh.

Ideas? Am I doing something wrong? Does the darned thing have more travel than I think it does???

I long for the days of 7 speed!

Originally posted by Aztec
I'm running Chorus, 10sp, about 350 miles on it. After shortening the chain, and fiddling forever w/ the rear deraileur, I finally have the back end working.

But the front is still totally unsolved. The only way I can keep it from making a ton of racket when on the 29 rear cog, is to adjust it far enough inside so that it clears (duh). But the downside is that it then ticks against the chain when on the 13 rear. And, it can't swing out far enough to jump the chain to the big ring. Ugggggggh.

Ideas? Am I doing something wrong? Does the darned thing have more travel than I think it does???

????? Are you using any kind of non-Campy handles ?????
The front deraileur has all the travel you need, if the adjustment screws on top are correctly set. The Campy handles have several steps; not limiting the front deral. to the ultimate right and left position. Use one of the middle steps in the cross-chain combinations (the big ring / large cogs or the small ring/small cogs).

The front deralliur is very sensitive to correct installation; parallell to the front rings and only 1 mm vertical space between the shifter and the big ring. A few mm wrong (especially more vertical space) and you get some of the described problems.

The horisiontal angle is also very important: I had set-up problems since my brace-on had a "wrong" angle; made the front part of the dera. higher than the rear part. (Check the pictures in the Campy instruction book to see how it shall be and compare with your bike.) Had to insert a bit of plastics to get it angled down - then it worked perfect.

I have Chorus levers. I'll go through the Campy tech support to make sure I didn't miss something. My reputable LBS put it together...