Campy 10spd - 130 or 135mm?

CZSteve

Jul 15, 2007
Hello all,

Been getting back on the horse as of late - my current setup is Cannondale 2.8 frame circa ~93 equipped with Campy Chorus 8-spd ergopower (this is the original style brake hood w/ the pointed top).
Right now I'm just riding for enjoyment and to get back in shape - 'might' try getting back into crits at sometime :rolleyes: (I'm and 'old' family man - turning 42 next month :D )

At some point (if I were to find the right deal) I'd like to upgrade 'some'.
A few questions:

1. Is the 10 spd Campy rear hub a 130 or 135mm spacing?
If the 10spd requires 135 I'd stick w/ the 9 spd - not wild about spreading the aluminum frame.

2. My current wheel set is a 32 spoke (3cross) tubular rim w/ Phil Wood hubs (freewheel rear). I know I'd need to go w/ a cassette rear hub. What are some opinions on going w/ a complete new wheel set w/ a clincher rim as opposed to re-building these rims w/ new hubs. The rims are in great shape and I obvioulsy enjoy the ride of tubulars, but gluing tires gets old at times - then again it's not often I have to replace the tires.

3. Is the rounded hood of the newer levers dramatically more comortable the older pointed style?

Thanks,
Steve

Sikhandar

Jul 5, 2007
Mountain bikes have 135 mm, road bikes have 130 mm, track bikes have 120 mm. If your frameset is 130 mm you're ok, every group you can find around for a road bike is for 130 mm hubs.

Anyway I do not understand what are your objectives. Do you want to change the groupset buying a 10 speed group? You will need a cassette wheel, for example a Campagnolo Khamsin or a Fulcrum R7 if you want to buy economical things.

Tubulars are for racing... if you puncture a tubular you're in a mess, you have to change the tubular ($$$) and to glue everything again...do it when during a training! (ok I know that you american will repair everything, but I'm not feeling safe when running on a repaired tubular pumped up at 11 bars...I always buy a new one).

If I were you, I'd consider buying a pair of clincher wheels (there are some clinchers that can give you the sensations of a tubular, such as GP4000 or Vredestein Fortezza Superlite...)

rounded things: well, it does not change anything...

mongooseboy

Jul 25, 2005
Shimano now has a tubless road wheel out, and hutchinson (i think?) has a tubless tire out. feel of tubular, ease of clincher. Mountain bikes have tubless system that is now a proven and very much an improvement over tubes. the tires are repairable, or if you blow a tire, it can have a tube put in for a quick trip home till you can repair the tire itself.

Or, specialized (among others) offer an "open tubular" tire, meaning the TPI of a tubular, but in a clincher tire so you get the enhanced feeling of a tubular, but the ability to use clinchers...another option :)

i dont think anyone needs 10 speed, except maybe racers for those extra gear combos. I run a triple, so 10 speed would be a bit overwhelming :) Some true MTB people will still say 9 speed isnt as good as 8 speed, and im sure there are road people who prefer 9 speed over 10 speed.

CZSteve

Jul 15, 2007
Thanks - I was under the impression that the Shimano 10spd was a 135 and the Campy was a 130 (road) from reading a few descriptions in Colorado Cyclist.

I'm sure I'll keep running my 8spd for awile as I aggree there's no 'need' for the tighter spacing for right now - just thinking ahead for if i get into crits again and maybe a benefit then.

Just for discussion - any downside to a 10spd vs 9 spd vs 8spd?
ie: Is the 10spd more harder to keep adjusted as a result of the narrower spacing between te cogs?

Sikhandar

Jul 5, 2007
CZSteve said:
ie: Is the 10spd more harder to keep adjusted as a result of the narrower spacing between te cogs?
No, it's not. My Chorus 2007 work perfectly, and the Centaur 2004 I had until april was as perfect as my new group.

I mean: you HAVE TO make it work with its own freewheel, and with its crankset, and with its chain...otherwise it won't be "that" good. For instance, there's a teammate of mine that uses a FSA K-Force crankset on a Record 2006, and it took about a month in doing front derailleur fine tuning...the chain continued to exit from the outside (first) and then from the inside (later).

hd reynolds

Nov 15, 2005
Sikhandar said:
No, it's not. My Chorus 2007 work perfectly, and the Centaur 2004 I had until april was as perfect as my new group.

I mean: you HAVE TO make it work with its own freewheel, and with its crankset, and with its chain...otherwise it won't be "that" good. For instance, there's a teammate of mine that uses a FSA K-Force crankset on a Record 2006, and it took about a month in doing front derailleur fine tuning...the chain continued to exit from the outside (first) and then from the inside (later).
I dont think so. Campy front FD will not know you're not using a non-campy chainring or crankset. If you dont get the front FD tweak right (regardless of what drivetrain you are using) you will have problems. I can tweak a front FD within minutes and your teamate took a month? my guess is that your teammate botched the FD/shifter installation.

FWIW, 10s chains are essentially the same inside dimensions as 9s chains (only outside tolerances differ). 10s chains will work on both 9 and 10s drivetrain while 9s chains are not forward compatible. Big/small chainring gap tolerance on 10s Campy is only about 0.3mm difference between a pre-10s and a 10s crankset but even a pre-10 FD will work due to the multitude of trim availabale with the campy 10s ergo FD shifter.

John M

Jun 21, 2005
CZSteve said:
Thanks - I was under the impression that the Shimano 10spd was a 135 and the Campy was a 130 (road) from reading a few descriptions in Colorado Cyclist.

I'm sure I'll keep running my 8spd for awile as I aggree there's no 'need' for the tighter spacing for right now - just thinking ahead for if i get into crits again and maybe a benefit then.

Whereas a 10s is not really any harder to keep adjusted than an 8s drivetrain, the 8s is far more tolerant of maladjustment or misalignment than a 10s.

CZSteve

Jul 15, 2007
Thanks for the discussions.

So - what do you think will help me ride faster, further, and jump higher?
A new 10spd drivetrain or loosing 10-15 lbs around the mid section??? :rolleyes:

I think I'l keep running on 8 gears for awhile ;) .

Best,
Steve