Campy 10spd / Whipperman Chain compatability

rockicemtn

May 29, 2006
Quick question, I am riding Campy Chorus 10spd. Currently using a Whipperman chain, 6.2mm wide. Campy is now selling 5.9mm chains for Chorus and Record, benefit is shifting according to website. Would like to use Whipperman's narrower chain which is actually designed for Shimano, 6.05mm, because of the connex link. Anyone have any insight into compatability.

rockicemtn said:
Quick question, I am riding Campy Chorus 10spd. Currently using a Whipperman chain, 6.2mm wide. Campy is now selling 5.9mm chains for Chorus and Record, benefit is shifting according to website. Would like to use Whipperman's narrower chain which is actually designed for Shimano, 6.05mm, because of the connex link. Anyone have any insight into compatability.
There are currently 3 non-campy/non-shimano 10s chains available said to be compatible with the 2 co's 10s drivetrain. These are Wipperman, KMC with their X10 chain and Mavic's 10s chain. Of these 3 as tested by cycling weekly, the Wipperman performed the best with either shimano or campy getting a 10point rating followed by Mavic with 9 points and KMC at 8.

rockicemtn said:
With the narrower chain, you may find that you will need an EXTRA click than you are currently using to move the front derailleur sufficiently ... UNLESS you also opt for a Shimano 10-speed front derailleur, too. Perhaps, not; but if so, you have to decide how inconvenient a third-click (well, it usually takes me two-clicks to shift the chain between chainrings) will be vs. buying a new, Shimano front derailleur.

FWIW. Supposedly, Shimano's front derailleur shifts better than Campagnolo's ... presumably, because the linkage is slightly stiffer.

I happen to have set up my bikes with Ultegra 9-speed front derailleurs (9-speed Ergo shifters, BTW), because that is what I had -- they work great -- so, I was definitely pleased when I read that info about the Shimano front derailleurs being "better" earlier this year.