Campy 10v rear derailleur question

Jeff S.

Guest
Hello,

Here's a puzzle(r) for you. My 2002 Chorus 10v normal cage r/d has a 56 mm distance on center
between pulleys. My 2001 Daytona 10v r/d (only made with a medium cage) has a 56 mm distance on
center between pulleys. The Daytona was supposed to be 29T rear cog compatible; I'm ready to schlepp
my 2-year old around.

It seems that my Daytona r/d isn't for a 29T max cog and supposedly was never made. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for your response.

Jeff

"Jeff S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> Here's a puzzle(r) for you. My 2002 Chorus 10v normal cage r/d has a 56
mm
> distance on center between pulleys. My 2001 Daytona 10v r/d (only made
with
> a medium cage) has a 56 mm distance on center between pulleys. The
Daytona
> was supposed to be 29T rear cog compatible; I'm ready to schlepp my 2-year old around.
>
> It seems that my Daytona r/d isn't for a 29T max cog and supposedly was never made. Any ideas?
> Thanks in advance for your response.

Not sure where you're going with that "never made", but, for a 29t cog, the Daytona and Centaur also
exist in a "triple" version with 79mm between pulleys. There isn't a "Chorus" like that because it's
labelled a "Racing Triple" instead.

The 2002 Record and now 2003 Centaur made for 3x10 have longer cages than what was available before.
It works perfectly on my tandem which is 52/42/30 x 13/32 and is beyone the derailleur capacity. I
hardly had to move the derailleur away from cogs. With my Veloce triple, which I used for several
years, I barely made it with the B screw all the way in.

My 2002 Medium cage 10s Chorus has the same distance between pulleys as my Veloce 9sp triple, which
is the same as what the Racing-T and Daytona long cage was and Centaur standard is. And they wonder
why I no longer know what medium, long, and regular mean and thatwrenching Campy is voodoo.

Someone has to inform my pre 2001 shifters that they cannot use new derailleurs. Also let my 2002
shifters know that they don't work with older derailleurs.

I always thought the Racing-T stuff was Athena quality.

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:17:16 -0600, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Not sure where you're going with that "never made", but, for a 29t cog, the Daytona and Centaur
>also exist in a "triple" version with 79mm between pulleys. There isn't a "Chorus" like that
>because it's labelled a "Racing Triple" instead.

jeff-<< It seems that my Daytona r/d isn't for a 29T max cog and supposedly was never made. Any
ideas? Thanks in advance for your response.

Put the Daytona on the 29t and go ride-'max' teeth info from manufacturers sometimes means upgrade'.
Altho Daytona had two cage lengths, they always had a 13-29 10s cogset...so just use either rder-

Hey, readers. What books do you like for detailed repair and maintenance instructions?

By detailed I mean how to take a bike apart to the bearings and bolts. How to reassemble is
a plus :)

My 1981 copy of Eugene Sloane's "Bicycle Maintenance Manual" is wonderful, but is missing a few
recent developments. 21-speeds were exotic and there were no cassette hubs.

I have 'Zinn and the art of road bike maintenance' and it has proved to be useful. Park tools
website http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/index.shtml section on maintenance is good as well.

Allen

On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 16:08:53 GMT, "Jeff Kwapil" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hey, readers. What books do you like for detailed repair and maintenance instructions?
>
>By detailed I mean how to take a bike apart to the bearings and bolts. How to reassemble is
>a plus :)
>
>My 1981 copy of Eugene Sloane's "Bicycle Maintenance Manual" is wonderful, but is missing a few
>recent developments. 21-speeds were exotic and there were no cassette hubs.

On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 16:08:53 GMT, "Jeff Kwapil" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hey, readers. What books do you like for detailed repair and maintenance instructions?

Except for wheel trueing or building, I do all my own maintenance including stripping and rebuilding
and predominantly use the following four reference sources.

Hardcopy/Softcopy resources
# Barnett's Manual - super comprehensive. Most of previous edition
downloadable FOC in .PDF format online.
# Zinn's "Art of ***bike Maintenance" books - More general and an
easier read, but very practical. As another poster has said, there's a fair bit of overlap between
the RB and MTB volumes, although nothing which a healthy dose of hands on common sense and item
specific research won't alleviate. Worth the $$$.

Online resources
# Park Tool's website - superb & FOC Sheldon Brown's website - likewise & FOC

Iguana Bwana