Campy 11-Speed Sprocket Ramifications

litespeedguy

Sep 13, 2003
There's talk that Campy will be introducing an 11-speed sprocket cluster - for those of us with 10-speeds, does anyone know if this cluster will be compatible with existing freehubs (Mavic for example) , ergo power shifters (Campy), compact crank set (Campy) and Wippermann 10-speed chain ?

litespeedguy said:
There's talk that Campy will be introducing an 11-speed sprocket cluster - for those of us with 10-speeds, does anyone know if this cluster will be compatible with existing freehubs (Mavic for example) , ergo power shifters (Campy), compact crank set (Campy) and Wippermann 10-speed chain ?
I don't know the answer to your question, but I have one of my own. Do you really need an 11 speed cassette? I doubt if it will be compatible with the brifters.

kdelong said:
I don't know the answer to your question, but I have one of my own. Do you really need an 11 speed cassette? I doubt if it will be compatible with the brifters.

You don't need most of the stuff on a bike. That's no justification, though, for not building something new.

With every new product, there's always some group, stuck in their ways, that can't help but say, "That is necessary." ****, nearly everything we see around is in life isn't necessary.

litespeedguy said:

There's more than talk: Campy's already made the announcement; it's on their website; and it's being used in the Tour d'ASO.

I can't remember if the freehub is not compatible with 10 spd, but I think the answer is "no." You will not be able to run 11 spd cassettes in a 10 spd system. The shifters are also completely different, but whether or not Ultra shifters can be modded to accept 11 spd, no one knows yet. You'll still be able to use your compact crank, but you might need the new chainrings since the new 11 spd chain is narrower than the 10 spd. It's said that the 10 spd chain won't work with 11 spd because of the narrower spacing in the rear.

Yup. Let us say that if you want to move to 11 speed you will have to substitute:
- ergopowers;
- rear derailleur;
- cassette;
- front derailleur (actually, not sure about this one); and
- chain.

From what I have read, current 10 speed wheels will be compatible with the new 11 speed. Ergo, you will not have to sell those sexy Bora Ultras (or Khamsins, or Sciroccos, or Hyperon tubulars) when you move up.

Of course, I stand to be corrected on this.

litespeedguy said:

11s Campag cogsets go onto any freehub that accepted Campagnolo 9 or 10s cogsets. It is NOT compatible with a 10s chain(5.9mm, 11s is 5.5) or10s ERGO levers. To shift 11s spacing need a 11s right shifter, 11s cogset and chain. I'm sure any crank will work fine.

alienator said:
You don't need most of the stuff on a bike. That's no justification, though, for not building something new.

With every new product, there's always some group, stuck in their ways, that can't help but say, "That is necessary." ****, nearly everything we see around is in life isn't necessary.

There's more than talk: Campy's already made the announcement; it's on their website; and it's being used in the Tour d'ASO.

I can't remember if the freehub is not compatible with 10 spd, but I think the answer is "no." You will not be able to run 11 spd cassettes in a 10 spd system. The shifters are also completely different, but whether or not Ultra shifters can be modded to accept 11 spd, no one knows yet. You'll still be able to use your compact crank, but you might need the new chainrings since the new 11 spd chain is narrower than the 10 spd. It's said that the 10 spd chain won't work with 11 spd because of the narrower spacing in the rear.

The innards of the 11s SuperRecord, Record and Chorus ERGO are a derivative of Xenon/flatbar shifters. Campag 'may' make an 11s shift disc for 2008 shift disc type levers but not at the present time.

I'm thinking thqat like 10s onto 7/8s cranks, with a little shifting finesse, the 5.5 chain won't get stuck between the chainrings.

11s cogsets fit onto any freehub that can presently accept a Campagnolo 9 or 10s cogset.

Powerful Pete said:
Yup. Let us say that if you want to move to 11 speed you will have to substitute:
- ergopowers;
- rear derailleur;
- cassette;
- front derailleur (actually, not sure about this one); and
- chain.

From what I have read, current 10 speed wheels will be compatible with the new 11 speed. Ergo, you will not have to sell those sexy Bora Ultras (or Khamsins, or Sciroccos, or Hyperon tubulars) when you move up.

Of course, I stand to be corrected on this.

I'm guessing that older RD/FD are compatible with 11s ERGO and vice versa but we'll confirm that we we get our 11s stuff, hopefully mid august or so.

Peter@vecchios said:
I'm guessing that older RD/FD are compatible with 11s ERGO and vice versa but we'll confirm that we we get our 11s stuff, hopefully mid august or so.
Thanks Peter, keep us posted on that.