Campy 11 speed - wheel compatability

socnyc

Aug 26, 2011
I have new Campy S/R 11-23 cassette attached to new Easton freehub (EA70 X wheels). There is very slight interference beteen the largest sprocket and the wheel hub, such that when I freewheel the wheel drags the cassette which pulls the chain forward, causing slack - the chain touches the stay. (I think I have a mild version of something that could have been much more serious!),

I spoke to Easton who say their hubs are not rated for campy 11 speed (really?).

It appears as though I could cure this with a very thin spacer - does this exist and who would make that? and would it fit between cassette body and freehub or freehub and wheel hub?

I spoke to Easton who say their hubs are not rated for campy 11 speed (really?).
Yep, really.

There are several wheel/hub manufacturers with this issue, and one should always check to ensure they can continue using thier curent wheels before making the change to 11s.

The largest cog has a slight overhang towards the centre of the hub which can interfere with the hub flange, depending on hub flange dimensions. Derailleur adjustments are also critical as the clearance between spokes and derailleur cage are now very tight (again depending on hub flange dimensions).

If it is just a slight amount of drag then yes you are lucky! A very thin spacer should be all you need. But I'm not quite sure where you'd find one. I would think the Shimano 10 speed spacer would be far too thick and probably not the right diameter.

Mavic makes a 0.55mm spacer, which is provided with their ED-11 freehub (otherwise identical to the ED-10 freehub). Your local LBS should be able to get you one if they don't already have it in stock. Spacer goes onto freehub inside of the cassette.

Latest update: Mavic spacer is in the mail, but I will not need it. I spoke to Easton techs, they sent me an upgraded internal spacer and new freehub body, free of charge. Problem is cured. Thank you Easton, great service.