Campy 11s chain on 10s group???

rplace13

Oct 30, 2007
I have all 2008 Record on my ride. Time for a new chain. I seem to remember reading/hearing the difference between the 5.9 10s and 5.5 11s is all in the outside width and the inside width of the chain is the same. Is that true? If so can I run an 11 speed chain on my 10 speed. Seems like the Record 10s is getting scarce and 11s is close to the same price. If I was going to go 11s over the winter it might be nice to have one less thing to buy.

Also what about running different campy chains, sure they are heavier...but not much.

rplace13 said:
I have all 2008 Record on my ride. Time for a new chain. I seem to remember reading/hearing the difference between the 5.9 10s and 5.5 11s is all in the outside width and the inside width of the chain is the same. Is that true? If so can I run an 11 speed chain on my 10 speed. Seems like the Record 10s is getting scarce and 11s is close to the same price. If I was going to go 11s over the winter it might be nice to have one less thing to buy.

Also what about running different campy chains, sure they are heavier...but not much.

The cheap Campy chains are just as good as the more expensive ones. They're just a bit heavier. That's all.

rplace13 said:

Campagnolo 10s chains(including Record and Chorus) are still readily available, as are the much better idea Centaur 10s chain. Teeny bit heavier with identical life and performance. 11s chains are more expensive, 'should' be installed with the 'tool', no snap link available PLUS it won't shift as well as the 10s chain. 11s cogs are a wee bit thinner but chain width, enough chain width, is as important as minimum chain width when it comes to index shifting. In addition, shimano 10s chains, like the 105 level one, also works really well on Campag 10s systems at about 1/2 the price.

Least expensive compatible chain and cogset is a good rule.