campy 8 speed cassete compatability

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Fred, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I am considering buying a new cassette for my bike which is equipped with a campy 8 speed chorus
    rear derailler. I was thinking of getting a 28 cog inner cog to go with a to replace the inner cog
    on a 13-26 cassette. The campy information suggests a 26 cog is the biggest the derailler can handle
    but the seller of the 28 cog (Banford bikes) says it is no problem. Any thoughts?

    Tags:

  2. Tom Paterson

    Tom Paterson Guest

    >From: "fred"

    > was thinking of getting a 28 cog inner cog to go with a to replace the inner cog on a 13-26
    > cassette. The campy information suggests a 26 cog is the biggest the derailler can handle but the
    > seller of the 28 cog (Banford bikes) says it is no problem. Any thoughts?

    Possible to use fewer teeth in front? (such as 39 instead of 42 for example) --Tom Paterson
    --Tom Paterson

  3. On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 19:02:11 -0500, fred wrote:

    > I am considering buying a new cassette for my bike which is equipped with a campy 8 speed chorus
    > rear derailler. I was thinking of getting a 28 cog inner cog to go with a to replace the inner cog
    > on a 13-26 cassette. The campy information suggests a 26 cog is the biggest the derailler can
    > handle but the seller of the 28 cog (Banford bikes) says it is no problem. Any thoughts?

    Usually, Branford knows what they are talking about. OTOH, I have a 30-tooth cog which rides on the
    idler pully no matter what I do. Well, make that past tense, since I got rid of my 8-speed stuff.

    But I really agree with the previous response. Consider, instead, replacing the chainrings. Get a
    110mm bolt circle, or 94, so you can get much smaller than the 39 or 42 you have now. There is
    plenty of overlap between gear ratios, and you can use, say, a 52/34 with no gaps, and a much lower
    low gear. I personally use a 46/30, and a 13-26 9-speed at the moment. Very low gears, no problems
    with the derailleur.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a _`\(,_ | conclusion. --
    George Bernard Shaw (_)/ (_) |

  4. fred wrote:
    > I am considering buying a new cassette for my bike which is equipped with a campy 8 speed chorus
    > rear derailler. I was thinking of getting a 28 cog inner cog to go with a to replace the inner cog
    > on a 13-26 cassette. The campy information suggests a 26 cog is the biggest the derailler can
    > handle but the seller of the 28 cog (Banford bikes) says it is no problem. Any thoughts?

    I've sold a _lot_ of those cogs for that application, never had a customer report any
    problem with it.

    Sheldon "Thanks, QBP!" Brown +----------------------------------------------------+
    | I admit that reason is a small and feeble flame, | a flickering torch by stumblers carried in the
    | | star-less night, -- blown and flared by passion's | storm, -- and yet, it is the only light. |
    | Extinguish that, and nought remains. | -- Robert Green Ingersoll |
    +----------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  5. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    It works fine. I bought the cog but haven't used it. I'll ship it to you for $15.

    The 13/28 cassette can be bought for ~$35 and you'll get a better spacing for the 28 than the 23,28
    you are going to have just buying the 28.

    On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 19:02:11 -0500, "fred" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am considering buying a new cassette for my bike which is equipped with a campy 8 speed chorus
    >rear derailler. I was thinking of getting a 28 cog inner cog to go with a to replace the inner cog
    >on a 13-26 cassette. The campy information suggests a 26 cog is the biggest the derailler can
    >handle but the seller of the 28 cog (Banford bikes) says it is no problem. Any thoughts?

  6. dalauro-<< I was thinking of getting a 28 cog inner cog to go with a to replace the inner cog on a
    13-26 cassette.

    Shiftintg from the 23 to a 28 may be a problem but not for the rder, it can handle the 28. You may
    want to remove the 14 instead.

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

  8. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    A very costly solution just to get a few gear inches. If all that is needed is the 28, the worst
    case scenario for his 8sp derailleur is to get a longer 'b' tension screw, which is not usually
    necessary.

    On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 20:58:57 -0500, "David L. Johnson" <David L. Johnson
    <[email protected]>> wrote:

    >But I really agree with the previous response. Consider, instead, replacing the chainrings. Get a
    >110mm bolt circle, or 94, so you can get much smaller than the 39 or 42 you have now. There is
    >plenty of overlap between gear ratios, and you can use, say, a 52/34 with no gaps, and a much lower
    >low gear. I personally use a 46/30, and a 13-26 9-speed at the moment. Very low gears, no problems
    >with the derailleur.

  9. Gocycle

    Gocycle Guest

    I did the same on Branfords advice and found it worked fine with my Cannondale. Ib fact, I did not
    have to lengthen the chain

    news:[email protected]...

  10. On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 08:27:47 -0500, Paul Kopit wrote:

    > A very costly solution just to get a few gear inches. If all that is needed is the 28, the worst
    > case scenario for his 8sp derailleur is to get a longer 'b' tension screw, which is not usually
    > necessary.
    >
    > On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 20:58:57 -0500, "David L. Johnson" <David L. Johnson
    > <[email protected]>> wrote:
    >
    >>But I really agree with the previous response. Consider, instead, replacing the chainrings. Get a
    >>110mm bolt circle, or 94, so you can get much smaller than the 39 or 42 you have now. There is
    >>plenty of overlap between gear ratios, and you can use, say, a 52/34 with no gaps, and a much
    >>lower low gear. I personally use a 46/30, and a 13-26 9-speed at the moment. Very low gears, no
    >>problems with the derailleur.

    Actually, that is part of my point. Going to the 28 versus the 26 will indeed only get you a few
    inches, for $15. Getting a new crank (OK, $60) that has a more reasonably bolt pattern, so you get
    use a 34 or smaller inner ring, gets you more than a few inches.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is _`\(,_ | not that they are
    extreme, but that they are intolerant. (_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy