Campy 8 speed

riceman

Sep 22, 2006
I have bike that is equipped with a Campagnolo 8 speed group set. The wheel set is very heavy. I have a spare set of 2007 Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels with a Shimano 10 speed Cassette on them. My question is- Is there anyway I can make the Mavic work with my campy 8 speed or upgrade to 10 speed with out having to change the whole group set. I have posted this on a few forums. Thank you

riceman said:
I have bike that is equipped with a Campagnolo 8 speed group set. The wheel set is very heavy. I have a spare set of 2007 Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels with a Shimano 10 speed Cassette on them. My question is- Is there anyway I can make the Mavic work with my campy 8 speed or upgrade to 10 speed with out having to change the whole group set. I have posted this on a few forums. Thank you
Get the Mavic Campy Freehub and use a loose cog Veloce 9s cogset and black Campagnolo 8s spacers.

riceman said:

What Dave said about Campag freehub body and Veloce cogs and unfortunately, cannot convert the right shifter to 10s. 9s, yes, but not 10s.

riceman said:
You can put an 8-speed SHIMANO cassette on your MAVIC Ksyrium Elite wheelset (you may-or-may-not need a spacer ... most-if-not-all of my 8-speed cassettes sleeve onto "real" SHIMANO freehubs without additional spacers), re-set the rear derailleur stops, and away you go ...

The spacing of the 8-speed Shimano & 8-speed Campagnolo cogs is close-enough that you shouldn't notice any difference ... but, you absolutely need to adjust the high-low stops on the rear derailleur since the cassette offset is different for the Shimano & Campagnolo hubs.

Peter@vecchios said:
What Dave said about Campag freehub body and Veloce cogs and unfortunately, cannot convert the right shifter to 10s. 9s, yes, but not 10s.
FWIW. I know someone who had the index wheel on his 8-speed shifter changed to a 10-speed index wheel a few years ago ...

Now, the problem is that the change requires a new rear derailleur, so it's sort of a futile endeavor if maintaining a budget is a concern.

alfeng said:
FWIW. I know someone who had the index wheel on his 8-speed shifter changed to a 10-speed index wheel a few years ago ...

Now, the problem is that the change requires a new rear derailleur, so it's sort of a futile endeavor if maintaining a budget is a concern.

10s discs and how they attach to the thru bolt is completely different on 10s and 8s. The shift body is much wider as well so you cannot easily morph 10s stuff into a 8s body, not long enough. If you have the ability to machine a new thru bolt, yep but not with off the shelf Campag shift innards.

For the OP and using shimano 8s cogset. I would suggest using a Red Wheels manufacturing spacer kit as the shimano cogs are much thinner than Campagnolo and are close spacing, but not really ideal(IME). Campag 10s to shimano 9s is much closer than Campag 8s to shimano 8s w/o the spacer kit.

Peter@vecchios said:
10s discs and how they attach to the thru bolt is completely different on 10s and 8s. The shift body is much wider as well so you cannot easily morph 10s stuff into a 8s body, not long enough. If you have the ability to machine a new thru bolt, yep but not with off the shelf Campag shift innards.
I was ONLY relating what ONE person had done to his 8-speed Campagnolo shifters in the past (i.e., converting his shifters/cassette to 10-speeds) ... the shop (CYCLE CAVE, Albuquerque) may well have machined something-or-other to make it fit.

Peter@vecchios said:
BTW. Peter, you're going to make me disassemble some MORE of my shifters ... just to actually measure stuff!

A few months ago, partly because I had a need-to-know, I transplanted the entire guts (except the G-spring assembly) of a NOS 8-speed LEFT Mirage shifter into a LEFT 1998 Chorus (the first year with the current handle style) shifter body (previously, "gutted") which needed to be re-built for the longest time ... and, since I had the older Mirage lever that wasn't being used, it became a "why not?" situation.

Maybe the change wasn't comparable, but ... maybe it is.

alfeng said:
BTW. Peter, you're going to make me disassemble some MORE of my shifters ... just to actually measure stuff!

A few months ago, partly because I had a need-to-know, I transplanted the entire guts (except the G-spring assembly) of a NOS 8-speed LEFT Mirage shifter into a LEFT 1998 Chorus (the first year with the current handle style) shifter body (previously, "gutted") which needed to be re-built for the longest time ... and, since I had the older Mirage lever that wasn't being used, it became a "why not?" situation.

Maybe the change wasn't comparable, but ... maybe it is.

I tried once to convert a right 8s lever to 10s, never again. The problem was using the thru bolt assembly but I was using 1999 and later stuff. Since 1998 was the first year of new shape and Athena and below still have the pointy lever, but 1998 innards, it may have been possible with 1998 thru bolts and shift discs. 1999 was changed for ERGO-Brain, to allow a plate with notches for the computer. I'll with bet using 1998 stuff, you could transplant it into a pointy lever BUT not with a 10s disc(2000), unless you make a new thru bolt of somehow make the shift disc opening smaller.

Interesting stuff. I remember the first time i took an ERGO apart, about 1993, cuz it didn't work. Found a broken spring. Just before, I took an ultegra lever apart...sent the pieces to shimano in a ziplock bag, no putting that thing back together, and they warrantied it!!

daveornee said:
Get the Mavic Campy Freehub and use a loose cog Veloce 9s cogset and black Campagnolo 8s spacers.
If you keep the Shimano Freehub and use 8 Speed Shimano HG cassette you will have cogs that are 0.1 mm thinner than Campy and spacers that are 0.1 mm thinner than Campy.
I suppose you can find loose cog Shimano HG 8 speed cassette cogs and then find 3.2 mm spacers to go along with the 1.8 mm thick cogs to get you the desired 5.0 mm spacing... I just don't know if there is sufficient room on the freehub body and if the lock ring has enough thread depth to get the job done.
Campy 8 speed has 1.9 mm thick cogs and 3.1 mm spacers.
Shimano 8 speed has 1.8 mm thick cogs and 3.0 mm spacers.

http://www.wheelsmfg.com/products.php?cat=shiftconv&prod=shiftconv8

Peter@vecchios said:
I tried once to convert a right 8s lever to 10s, never again. The problem was using the thru bolt assembly but I was using 1999 and later stuff. Since 1998 was the first year of new shape and Athena and below still have the pointy lever, but 1998 innards, it may have been possible with 1998 thru bolts and shift discs. 1999 was changed for ERGO-Brain, to allow a plate with notches for the computer. I'll with bet using 1998 stuff, you could transplant it into a pointy lever BUT not with a 10s disc(2000), unless you make a new thru bolt of somehow make the shift disc opening smaller.
Other than lacking the "hole" for the ErgoBrain button on the 1998 shifters, I haven't paid enough/any attention to the difference with the post-1998 brake lever handle bodies ...

One of these days, I'll check more closely ...

AND/OR ... maybe, one of these days I'll see if a 10-speed indexing wheel can be retrofitted into the RIGHT 1998 shifter body.

BTW. I think that I had observed some minor differences in the "clockwork" spring part of the assembly in various post-1998 levers, but I don't know if that is a variation in the Record-to-Mirage components OR (without looking) a bad memory & confusing the variation with the older 8-speed style's assembly.

Peter@vecchios said:
Interesting stuff. I remember the first time i took an ERGO apart, about 1993, cuz it didn't work. Found a broken spring. Just before, I took an ultegra lever apart...sent the pieces to shimano in a ziplock bag, no putting that thing back together, and they warrantied it!!
AND, that's another example of why I think Shimano's Customer Service is so great ...

BUT, of course, it is disappointing that the STI shifters become expensive paperweights if/when they stop working.

Maybe the next generation of Shimano shifters will (finally!) be rebuildable.

daveornee said:
If you keep the Shimano Freehub and use 8 Speed Shimano HG cassette you will have cogs that are 0.1 mm thinner than Campy and spacers that are 0.1 mm thinner than Campy.
I suppose you can find loose cog Shimano HG 8 speed cassette cogs and then find 3.2 mm spacers to go along with the 1.8 mm thick cogs to get you the desired 5.0 mm spacing... I just don't know if there is sufficient room on the freehub body and if the lock ring has enough thread depth to get the job done.
Campy 8 speed has 1.9 mm thick cogs and 3.1 mm spacers.
Shimano 8 speed has 1.8 mm thick cogs and 3.0 mm spacers.

http://www.wheelsmfg.com/products.php?cat=shiftconv&prod=shiftconv8
BTW. It was Sheldon Brown who noted (somewhere in his site) that the Shimano & Campagnolo 8-speed indexing was close enough ...

Apparently, it's just one of those compatibility situations that doesn't look feasible on paper, but is.

alfeng said:
Other than lacking the "hole" for the ErgoBrain button on the 1998 shifters, I haven't paid enough/any attention to the difference with the post-1998 brake lever handle bodies ...

One of these days, I'll check more closely ...

AND/OR ... maybe, one of these days I'll see if a 10-speed indexing wheel can be retrofitted into the RIGHT 1998 shifter body.

BTW. I think that I had observed some minor differences in the "clockwork" spring part of the assembly in various post-1998 levers, but I don't know if that is a variation in the Record-to-Mirage components OR (without looking) a bad memory & confusing the variation with the older 8-speed style's assembly.

AND, that's another example of why I think Shimano's Customer Service is so great ...

BUT, of course, it is disappointing that the STI shifters become expensive paperweights if/when they stop working.

Maybe the next generation of Shimano shifters will (finally!) be rebuildable.

Don't count on it. Yes you can make a 1998 right lever 10s but you need to swap most of the innrads, front and back. With the prices, it's probably cheaper to just buy a 10s lever.

Peter@vecchios said:
Don't count on it.
Well, Shimano might actually surpise us ... one of these decades!
Peter@vecchios said:
Yes you can make a 1998 right lever 10s but you need to swap most of the innrads, front and back. With the prices, it's probably cheaper to just buy a 10s lever.
Unfortunately, too true ...

And, that's why I will generally cannibalize one shifter to get parts for another!

alfeng said:
Well, Shimano might actually surpise us ... one of these decades!
Unfortunately, too true ...

And, that's why I will generally cannibalize one shifter to get parts for another!

And why I use friction shifters and a freewheel. 20 years old(shifters and rder) and going strong.