Campy 8s on 9/10 hub?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Wayne Pein, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Wayne Pein

    Wayne Pein Guest

    Does a Campy 8s cassette fit on a 9/10s body? If not, is there a modification to make it work? I use
    downtube friction levers, so indexing is not an issue.

    Thanks, Wayne

    Tags:

  2. wpein-<< Does a Campy 8s cassette fit on a 9/10s body? If not, is there a modification to make it
    work? I use downtube friction levers, so indexing is not an issue.

    Altho Campag 8s cogs will actually fit onto a 9/10s freehub body, they don't grab a lot of aluminum
    and shouldn't be used.

    Why not just put on a 9s or 10s casette?

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does a Campy 8s cassette fit on a 9/10s body? If not, is there a modification to make it work? I
    > use downtube friction levers, so indexing is not an issue.

    The 9/10 cassette body/cogs interface is a much smaller diameter than eight. I'd add a nine
    cassette, personally, if you already own a nine/ten hub. You will be at the edge of lever capacity
    but it shifts with 1013 levers.

    I believe, with Sheldon, that over the forseeable future nine will be well supported and eight will
    continue on the path to obscurity.

  4. Wayne Pein

    Wayne Pein Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

    > wpein-<< Does a Campy 8s cassette fit on a 9/10s body? If not, is there a modification to make it
    > work? I use downtube friction levers, so indexing is not an issue.
    >
    > Altho Campag 8s cogs will actually fit onto a 9/10s freehub body, they don't grab a lot of
    > aluminum and shouldn't be used.
    >
    > Why not just put on a 9s or 10s casette?

    Hi Peter,

    Thanks for replying, again.

    2 reasons to consider using an 8 on a 9/10. First, I've got a few 8s already, and they are cheaper
    if I need more. Second, I can use an inexpensive Sachs 8s chain.

    Wayne

  5. On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 12:57:56 -0500, Wayne Pein wrote:

    > 2 reasons to consider using an 8 on a 9/10. First, I've got a few 8s already, and they are cheaper
    > if I need more.

    Actually, no, they are not cheaper. I got 9speed cassettes for $39, and the same shop offers 8speed
    for $50. Go figure.

    > Second, I can use an inexpensive Sachs 8s chain.

    Sachs 9-speed chains are essentially the same price.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. -- _`\(,_ | Michael Crichton