Campy 8s on 9/10 hub?

Wayne Pein

Guest
Does a Campy 8s cassette fit on a 9/10s body? If not, is there a modification to make it work? I use
downtube friction levers, so indexing is not an issue.

Thanks, Wayne

wpein-<< Does a Campy 8s cassette fit on a 9/10s body? If not, is there a modification to make it
work? I use downtube friction levers, so indexing is not an issue.

Altho Campag 8s cogs will actually fit onto a 9/10s freehub body, they don't grab a lot of aluminum
and shouldn't be used.

Why not just put on a 9s or 10s casette?

"Wayne Pein" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Does a Campy 8s cassette fit on a 9/10s body? If not, is there a modification to make it work? I
> use downtube friction levers, so indexing is not an issue.

The 9/10 cassette body/cogs interface is a much smaller diameter than eight. I'd add a nine
cassette, personally, if you already own a nine/ten hub. You will be at the edge of lever capacity
but it shifts with 1013 levers.

I believe, with Sheldon, that over the forseeable future nine will be well supported and eight will
continue on the path to obscurity.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> wpein-<< Does a Campy 8s cassette fit on a 9/10s body? If not, is there a modification to make it
> work? I use downtube friction levers, so indexing is not an issue.
>
> Altho Campag 8s cogs will actually fit onto a 9/10s freehub body, they don't grab a lot of
> aluminum and shouldn't be used.
>
> Why not just put on a 9s or 10s casette?

Hi Peter,

Thanks for replying, again.

2 reasons to consider using an 8 on a 9/10. First, I've got a few 8s already, and they are cheaper
if I need more. Second, I can use an inexpensive Sachs 8s chain.

Wayne

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 12:57:56 -0500, Wayne Pein wrote:

> 2 reasons to consider using an 8 on a 9/10. First, I've got a few 8s already, and they are cheaper
> if I need more.

Actually, no, they are not cheaper. I got 9speed cassettes for $39, and the same shop offers 8speed
for $50. Go figure.

> Second, I can use an inexpensive Sachs 8s chain.

Sachs 9-speed chains are essentially the same price.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. -- _`\(,_ | Michael Crichton