Campy 8sp cassette question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Greg Hall, Feb 7, 2003.

  1. Greg Hall

    Greg Hall Guest

    Is it possible to substitute a spare 12 for the 13 in a 13-26 campy 8 speed cassette?

    Greg Hall

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Greg Hall wrote:
    > Is it possible to substitute a spare 12 for the 13 in a 13-26 campy 8 speed cassette?

    Yes it is, I've done it. The 12 must be a top cog - but I think all Campag 8sp 12t's are anyway.

    You may not like the jump from 12 to 14 though - could even have trouble shifting down if shifter or
    derailleur is in less than perfect condition. But, as an occasional use over-drive
    truck-slipsteaming gear, it'll be fine. Just shift twice then back one if having problems changing
    gears. I found the shift up from 14 to 12 worked fine although does go with an alarming (but
    satisfying!) big clunk.

    As an option, consider using a 13 between the 12 and 14, and chucking out one of the larger cogs.
    This 13 must not be a top sprocket.

    ~PB

  3. Pete-<< Yes it is, I've done it. The 12 must be a top cog - but I think all Campag 8sp 12t's
    are anyway.

    two campagnolo produced 8s cassettes-12-23 and 13-26...

  4. VC-<< Is it possible to substitute a spare 12 for the 13 in a 13-26 campy 8 speed cassette?

    yes but the shift from the 12 to the 14 may be 'poor' and may require a 'shift up the cassette
    twice, down once' to get onto the 14..

  5. Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > VC-<< Is it possible to substitute a spare 12 for the 13 in a 13-26 campy 8 speed cassette?
    >
    > yes but the shift from the 12 to the 14 may be 'poor' and may require a 'shift up the cassette
    > twice, down once' to get onto the 14..

    I think Qui si is upside-down. There won't be any problem upshifting, it's downshifting that may be
    slightly sub-optimal.

    Even that isn't likely to be a problem, we're only talking about a 2 tooth jump here.

    Sheldon "One Click" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------------+
    | I'm only a beer teetotaller, not a champagne teetotaller. | --George Bernard Shaw |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:

    >> yes but the shift from the 12 to the 14 may be 'poor' and may require a 'shift up the cassette
    >> twice, down once' to get onto the
    >> 14..
    >
    > I think Qui si is upside-down. There won't be any problem upshifting, it's downshifting that may
    > be slightly sub-optimal.
    >
    > Even that isn't likely to be a problem, we're only talking about a 2 tooth jump here.

    Yeahbut we're probably talking about well used 8sp Ergos and mech as well. Downshifting with mine
    was naff when I tried exactly what the OP wants to
    do. Chain often would not get on the 14 without going down to the 15 then back up.

    > Sheldon "One Click" Brown

    Pete "Three Clicks" Biggs

    ~PB