Campy 9 spd Mirage Lever downshift problem

Sir Ridesalot

Guest
Hello there. I just joined this Usenet list.

I have Campy Mirage 9 spd Ergos and a 30 - 42 - 52 racing triple on my
bicycle. The other day I shifted the front derailleur onto the granny
gear while going up a hill.

When I changed back to the 42 tooth middle ring I was then unable to
shift back down into the granny ring.

I have hung the bike up and tried shifting but the only way I can get
onto the granny ring up front is to hold the long upshift lever while
depressing the thumb button.

I don't think this is practical on the road and fear I might break
something.

There are less than 2 thousands kilometers on this bicycle.

Can some one suggest a possible home-fix for this problem?

Thanking you in advance for all serious replies.

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> Hello there. I just joined this Usenet list.
>
> I have Campy Mirage 9 spd Ergos and a 30 - 42 - 52 racing triple on my
> bicycle. The other day I shifted the front derailleur onto the granny
> gear while going up a hill.
>
> When I changed back to the 42 tooth middle ring I was then unable to
> shift back down into the granny ring.
>
> I have hung the bike up and tried shifting but the only way I can get
> onto the granny ring up front is to hold the long upshift lever while
> depressing the thumb button.
>
> I don't think this is practical on the road and fear I might break
> something.
>
> There are less than 2 thousands kilometers on this bicycle.
>
> Can some one suggest a possible home-fix for this problem?
>
> Thanking you in advance for all serious replies.

Sounds like maybe a frayed der cable or something else. Tough to say
w/o seeing it but a take apart of ther lever may be called for. Does
the lever work with the cable disconnected?

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> > Hello there. I just joined this Usenet list.
> >
> > I have Campy Mirage 9 spd Ergos and a 30 - 42 - 52 racing triple on my
> > bicycle. The other day I shifted the front derailleur onto the granny
> > gear while going up a hill.
> >
> > When I changed back to the 42 tooth middle ring I was then unable to
> > shift back down into the granny ring.
> >
> > I have hung the bike up and tried shifting but the only way I can get
> > onto the granny ring up front is to hold the long upshift lever while
> > depressing the thumb button.
> >
> > I don't think this is practical on the road and fear I might break
> > something.
> >
> > There are less than 2 thousands kilometers on this bicycle.
> >
> > Can some one suggest a possible home-fix for this problem?
> >
> > Thanking you in advance for all serious replies.

> Sounds like maybe a frayed der cable or something else. Tough to say
> w/o seeing it but a take apart of ther lever may be called for. Does
> the lever work with the cable disconnected?

Thanks very much Peter.

I disconnected the front derailleur cable and the downshift button then
worked fine. So I then removed the lever and a broken plastic
cable-housing ferrule fell out. Oddly enough there was a metal cable
housing ferrule on the cable housing as well. Seems there were two
ferrules for some weird reason.

Every thing seems fine now.

Cheers.