Campy 9 speed shifting troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul Morrison

I just had my first tune up on my bike. It has Record 9 sp. and it is a 52cm Serotta. The chain was
worn, so I got a new 9 sp Campy chain and a new 9 sp Ti Cassette. (12x23). It was having problems in
the top 4 gears, so I also had the shifter rebuilt. (I did not get new gears in the shifter -
springs and one other part). It is still having problems in the top 3 or 4 cogs. Problems like going
up (in number of teeth), it clicks and makes all kinds of noise. It is like it wants to go 1 1/2
steps per click of the lever. If I tap the thumb shifter lever gently, the noise goes away. I took
it back to the shop, and am now trying a Dura-Ace chain. Still has the same problem. The gruppo was
purchased used with around 1k miles on it, and I have since put 2500 or 3000 miles on it. I put 2000
since last March.

Anyone have such an odd problem? Anyone have any tips? Going down (in number of teeth) is smooth and
never misses. Going up or down multiple clicks also works excellently, never misses. What about the
Derailleur itself? are there parts I should replace or look into?

Thanks! Paul Morrison [email protected]

In article <%[email protected]>, "Paul Morrison" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I just had my first tune up on my bike. It has Record 9 sp. and it is a 52cm Serotta. The chain
> was worn, so I got a new 9 sp Campy chain and a new 9 sp Ti Cassette. (12x23). It was having
> problems in the top 4 gears, so I also had the shifter rebuilt. (I did not get new gears in the
> shifter - springs and one other part). It is still having problems in the top 3 or 4 cogs.
> Problems like going up (in number of teeth), it clicks and makes all kinds of noise. It is like it
> wants to go 1 1/2 steps per click of the lever. If I tap the thumb shifter lever gently, the noise
> goes away. I took it back to the shop, and am now trying a Dura-Ace chain. Still has the same
> problem. The gruppo was purchased used with around 1k miles on it, and I have since put 2500 or
> 3000 miles on it. I put 2000 since last March.
>
> Anyone have such an odd problem? Anyone have any tips? Going down (in number of teeth) is smooth
> and never misses. Going up or down multiple clicks also works excellently, never misses. What
> about the Derailleur itself? are there parts I should replace or look into?
>
> Thanks! Paul Morrison [email protected]

Is the rear derailleur cable entering the clamp in the right spot, as illustrated in the derailleur
manual? Maybe this is too obvious, but it fooled me for a couple of rides before someone else
diagnosed it.

--Chuan

"Paul Morrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<%[email protected]>...
> I just had my first tune up on my bike. It has Record 9 sp. and it is a 52cm Serotta. The chain
> was worn, so I got a new 9 sp Campy chain and a new 9 sp Ti Cassette. (12x23). It was having
> problems in the top 4 gears, so I also had the shifter rebuilt. (I did not get new gears in the
> shifter - springs and one other part). It is still having problems in the top 3 or 4 cogs.
> Problems like going up (in number of teeth), it clicks and makes all kinds of noise. It is like it
> wants to go 1 1/2 steps per click of the lever. If I tap the thumb shifter lever gently, the noise
> goes away. I took it back to the shop, and am now trying a Dura-Ace chain. Still has the same
> problem. The gruppo was purchased used with around 1k miles on it, and I have since put 2500 or
>
> Anyone have such an odd problem? Anyone have any tips? Going down (in number of teeth) is smooth
> and never misses. Going up or down multiple clicks also works excellently, never misses. What
>

Paul,

I had the same sort of problem with a new install last year with 9sp Daytona. After much tweaking,
swearing and searching Google (thanks everyone!), the problem turned out to be a slightly misaligned
rder hanger. Either take the frame to your LBS and have them check the hanger, or do it yourself
with a long metal straight edge. The plane of the hanger must be parallel to that of the cogs (or by
extension, the plane of the rim). Also, make sure the cassette is lightly greased and torqued down
to spec....

Good luck

John D.

root-<< I just had my first tune up on my bike. It has Record 9 sp >><BR><BR> << The chain was worn,
so I got a new 9 sp Campy chain and a new 9 sp Ti Cassette. (12x23). << It is still having problems
in the top 3 or 4 cogs. << It is like it wants to go 1 1/2 steps per click of the lever. If I tap
the thumb shifter lever gently, the noise goes away

This is in keeping with a busted post on the part EC-RE-111, the spring carrier(1998 or
later lever??)

This post breaks often, makes the disc not return smoothly. Have the wrench take the lever off, look
for the top of the post at the 1 oclock position. If it is loose like a tooth-it is
busted(cheap/easy to replace). Taking some plastic off the back cap right above the post will
prevent this in the future. If the wrench gives you a tholusand yard stare, send the lever to me or
have him call me.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Funny thing is, when I went to pick it up (the first time), i rode it around the lot and noticed
this same problem. One of the dudes started adjusting the cable at the rear of the der., another
dude said exactly what you did, and $25.00 (and a lost day of riding!) would fix it. He showed me
the new EC-RE-111 and the new design with the beefier flange.... They say they rebuilt the shifter
and replaced that part and the spring. It is really eating me alive that before the tune up it
didn't do this (or I didn't notice) although the shifting is from another planet now. I had no idea
what I was missing! It is so fast and so smooth now (except for this small problem). It's also
killing me that there is a Dura-Ace chain on there. . .

What are the chances that they screwed up the install/rebuild? At this point I'm bummed I didn't go
to 10sp! (new cassette, new chain, shifter rebuild) seems I could have added a 10sp der. to the mix
and be on my way!

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there something I can look at without tearing it all apart? Do you
offer like an exchange or a 'core' replacement?

[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> This is in keeping with a busted post on the part EC-RE-111, the spring carrier(1998 or later
> lever??)
>
> This post breaks often, makes the disc not return smoothly. Have the wrench take the lever off,
> look for the top of the post at the 1 oclock position. If it is loose like a tooth-it is
> busted(cheap/easy to replace). Taking some plastic off the back cap right above the post will
> prevent this in the future.

Try twisting the shifter disc around 180 degrees.

"Paul Morrison" <[email protected]> wrote in news:%[email protected]:
>
>

Make sure you are running the cable to the proper side of the derailleur bolt.

I had a similar problem. The derailleur cable was lacking enough tension. When I shifted from the
smallest to the next cog, I was actually doing it on the 2nd click and not the first.

You problem is also symptomatic of a out of line rear derailleur hangar.

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 05:18:51 GMT, "Paul Morrison" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyone have such an odd problem? Anyone have any tips? Going down (in number of teeth) is smooth
>and never misses. Going up or down multiple clicks also works excellently, never misses. What about
>the Derailleur itself? are there parts I should replace or look into?

"Paul Morrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...
> I just had my first tune up on my bike. It has Record 9 sp. and it is a
52cm
> Serotta. The chain was worn, so I got a new 9 sp Campy chain and a new 9
sp
> Ti Cassette. (12x23). It was having problems in the top 4 gears, so I also had the shifter
> rebuilt. (I did not get new gears in the shifter - springs and one other part). It is still having
> problems in the top 3 or 4 cogs. Problems like going up (in number of teeth), it clicks and makes
> all kinds of noise. It is like it wants to go 1 1/2 steps per click of the lever. If
I
> tap the thumb shifter lever gently, the noise goes away. I took it back to the shop, and am now
> trying a Dura-Ace chain. Still has the same problem. The gruppo was purchased used with around 1k
> miles on it, and I have since put 2500 or 3000 miles on it. I put 2000 since last March.
>
> Anyone have such an odd problem? Anyone have any tips? Going down (in
number
> of teeth) is smooth and never misses. Going up or down multiple clicks
also
> works excellently, never misses. What about the Derailleur itself? are there parts I should
> replace or look into?

Is the rear changer's cage parallel to the chainrings? Shift to high gear and get your head behind
the rear changer so you can sight that. Is the top roller of the rear changer worn? Is the top part
of the rear changer's cage bent or splayed apart?

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

> [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > This is in keeping with a busted post on the part EC-RE-111, the spring carrier(1998 or later
> > lever??)
> >
> > This post breaks often, makes the disc not return smoothly. Have the
wrench
> > take the lever off, look for the top of the post at the 1 oclock
position. If
> > it is loose like a tooth-it is busted(cheap/easy to replace). Taking
some
> > plastic off the back cap right above the post will prevent this in the
future.

"Paul Morrison" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Funny thing is, when I went to pick it up (the first time), i rode it around the lot and noticed
> this same problem. One of the dudes started adjusting the cable at the rear of the der., another
> dude said exactly what you did, and $25.00 (and a lost day of riding!) would fix it. He showed me
> the new EC-RE-111 and the new design with the beefier flange.... They say they rebuilt the shifter
> and replaced that part and the spring. It is really eating me alive that before the tune up it
> didn't do this (or I didn't notice) although the shifting is from another planet now. I had no
> idea what I was missing! It is so fast and so smooth now (except for this small problem). It's
> also killing me that there is a Dura-Ace chain on there. . .
>
> What are the chances that they screwed up the install/rebuild? At this point I'm bummed I didn't
> go to 10sp! (new cassette, new chain, shifter rebuild) seems I could have added a 10sp der. to the
> mix and be on my way!
>
> Thanks for the quick reply. Is there something I can look at without tearing it all apart? Do you
> offer like an exchange or a 'core' replacement?

No need to change the rear derailleur. All Campagnolo rears shift both 9 and ten equally well.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

rbeldon-<< Try twisting the shifter disc around 180 degrees .

Cannot and still install it into the ERGO-with the three spring downtube shifters, this can happen
but not ERGO(2 spring to boot)-

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Status
Not open for further replies.