Campy 9s cassette on Aksium campy cassette body?

jbvcoaching

Dec 28, 2005
Will a Campy 9s cassette fit on a Mavic Aksium campy cassette body designed for 10 speed? Is it 9/10 compatible? I normally run Shimano/SRAM cassettes, so I don't know. I was handed a set of Aksiums for 'cross, and I run Campy 9 on my 'cross bikes.

Alternatively, since I'd have to buy a cassette anyway (~$50), where would one get a Shimano cassette body for the Aksium, and what do those run?

jbvcoaching said:
Will a Campy 9s cassette fit on a Mavic Aksium campy cassette body designed for 10 speed? Is it 9/10 compatible? I normally run Shimano/SRAM cassettes, so I don't know. I was handed a set of Aksiums for 'cross, and I run Campy 9 on my 'cross bikes.

Alternatively, since I'd have to buy a cassette anyway (~$50), where would one get a Shimano cassette body for the Aksium, and what do those run?

Yes, including 11s.

At a local bike shop, and $50.

jbvcoaching said:

AFAIK, you should have no problem using a 9-speed Camapgnolo cassette on your Aksium wheel -- I mounted BOTH a 9-speed & 10-speed Campagolo cassette on a MAVIC Ksyrium SSC SL wheelset a few years ago.

MAVIC's alternate/replacement freehub body (Shimano or Campagnolo) is available through your LBS, through Peter's shop, or via eBay once-in-a-while (to name three sources) -- cost varies. The installation, obviously, is not included ... the instructions are available on-line ...

N.B. Presuming you've actually mistyped what you're currently using (i.e., you meant to say you're running a Shimano 9 on your 'cross bike) ... if you get a Veloce cogset, you can restack it with WHEELS MANUFACTURING SPACERS to achieve 'perfect' Shimano 9-speed spacing ... OR, simply/possibly borrow-before-you-buy a Campagnolo 10-speed cassette to see if the indexing is acceptable to you with your Shimano 9-speed drivetrain -- it could/should be REASONABLY CLOSE across most of the cogs if you fiddle with the stops + the indexing's adjustment because of the cavernous space between the chain's plates -- you WILL 'lose' access to either-the-highest-or-lowest (10th) cog of your choice, of course.