Campy 9sp shifter, shimano 9sp cassette body

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Alex, Mar 11, 2003.

  1. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Hi,

    I have a Campy 9sp rear der. and I'm looking at a used wheel set with a Shimano cassette body. I
    remember reading some time ago that the Campy 9sp should shift the Shimano 9sp alright. Is this
    true? If not, what needs to be replaced.

    Any advice is much appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Alex

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Alex <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a Campy 9sp rear der. and I'm looking at a used wheel set with a Shimano cassette body. I
    >remember reading some time ago that the Campy 9sp should shift the Shimano 9sp alright. Is this
    >true? If not, what needs to be replaced.

    Correct, 9-speed Shimano cogs work quite well with 9-speed Campy shifter and most any Campy rear
    derailleur designed for indexing. You can buy spacer kits to make the cog spacing totally
    identical to Campy's but it's really not necessary, the performance should be quite adequate with
    the Shimano spacing.

  3. ashayk1-<< I have a Campy 9sp rear der. and I'm looking at a used wheel set with a Shimano cassette
    body. I remember reading some time ago that the Campy 9sp should shift the Shimano 9sp alright. Is
    this true?

    Yes, Campagnolo 9s shifters and any Campagnolo rder will shift shimano 9s cassettes w/o
    modification.

  4. Rodger

    Rodger Guest

    Earlier today, Gary Young replied to a compatability query with a link to "A Summary of the methods
    Used for Mixing Campy Levers with Shimano Hubs."

    http://www.hearingoffice.com/download/hearing/10_Speed_Conversion_print.pdf

    That document mentions casettes available from Wheels Manufacturing that are effectively Shimano
    products respaced for Campagnolo shifters.

    Rodger

    On 11 Mar 2003 14:47:34 -0800, [email protected] (Alex) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a Campy 9sp rear der. and I'm looking at a used wheel set with a Shimano cassette body. I
    >remember reading some time ago that the Campy 9sp should shift the Shimano 9sp alright. Is this
    >true? If not, what needs to be replaced.
    >
    >Any advice is much appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Alex

  5. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:42:21 GMT, [email protected] (Rodger) wrote:

    >That document mentions casettes available from Wheels Manufacturing that are effectively Shimano
    >products respaced for Campagnolo shifters.

    How can you respace the Shimano hub body to Campy spacing? The cogs will not fit. You can
    respace 2 or 3 depending whether you use 2.8 Campy or IG, 2.65. The cogs that are on a spider
    don't get touched.

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Rodger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Earlier today, Gary Young replied to a compatability query with a link to "A Summary of the
    > methods Used for Mixing Campy Levers with Shimano Hubs."

    http://www.hearingoffice.com/download/hearing/10_Speed_Conversion_print.pdf

    > That document mentions casettes available from Wheels Manufacturing that are effectively Shimano
    > products respaced for Campagnolo shifters.

    Wheels makes an array of spacing kits to tweak cassette spacing for various formats. These are
    color-coded cog spacers-simple to use, cheap. They also produce a range called "Accelerator" that is
    quite dear and is a reworked cassette to duplicate Campagnolo Ten format on a Shimano hub.

    However, as has been noted here repeatedly, no special measures are needed to use any nine speed
    wheel in any nine speed bike. The actual variance among the various formats is less than the slop
    inherent a derailleur system.

  7. Fulmaduro

    Fulmaduro Guest

    >Yes, Campagnolo 9s shifters and any Campagnolo rder will shift shimano 9s cassettes w/o
    >modification.

    So, let me get this straight. I am excited now! If I have a Dura-Ace rear 130mm hub on my Heron
    and a 9 speed XTR 12-34 cassette, an all Veloce 9 speed group (currently friction setup w/ Suntour
    bar-cons), I can get the Veloce brifters and have no problems indexing? I don't need a spacing
    kit? I have the long cage rear Veloce derailleur, all triple setup. Also, any problems using the
    levers with canti's, in this case nos older XTR canti's? I desperately want to go this route, and
    have never tried indexing in all my years riding. I am motivated if this could work. Great seeing
    you highlighted in Bicycling Peter. Must feel awesome! You hve answered many Campy questions for
    me in the past.

    Sincerely,

    Tony Zanussi KCMO

  8. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On 13 Mar 2003 03:27:59 GMT, [email protected] (FULMADURO) wrote:

    >So, let me get this straight. I am excited now! If I have a Dura-Ace rear 130mm hub on my Heron and
    >a 9 speed XTR 12-34 cassette, an all Veloce 9 speed group (currently friction setup w/ Suntour
    >bar-cons), I can get the Veloce brifters and have no problems indexing? I don't need a spacing kit?
    >I have the long cage rear Veloce derailleur, all triple setup. Also, any problems using the levers
    >with canti's, in this case nos older XTR canti's?

    If you chain is properly set to be long enough to shift the big ring and big cog your ability to
    shift the 34 if iffy. You have a shot if your big ring is a 50. You can shift a 32 with the long
    cage Veloce. You can easilly shift the 34 if you get 2003, Centaur 3x10 long derailleur.

    You don't have to do anything special to the cassette but you do need a 9sp chain.

    If the canti brakes are sort of right angle shaped and stick out, you have a chance of using them
    with the Ergo. If the arms curve inward, you'll need to think of another kind of brake.

  9. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "FULMADURO" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > So, let me get this straight. I am excited now! If I have a Dura-Ace
    rear
    > 130mm hub on my Heron and a 9 speed XTR 12-34 cassette, an all Veloce 9
    speed
    > group (currently friction setup w/ Suntour bar-cons), I can get the
    Veloce
    > brifters and have no problems indexing? I don't need a spacing kit? I
    have
    > the long cage rear Veloce derailleur, all triple setup. Also, any
    problems
    > using the levers with canti's, in this case nos older XTR canti's? I desperately want to go this
    > route, and have never tried indexing in all my years riding. I am motivated if this could work.
    > Great seeing you
    highlighted
    > in Bicycling Peter. Must feel awesome! You hve answered many Campy
    questions
    > for me in the past.

    You are correct. Adding Ergo levers and a suitable 9x chain will do it and you're totally compatible
    with cantilevers as well.