Campy 9sp shifter, shimano 9sp cassette body

Alex

Guest
Hi,

I have a Campy 9sp rear der. and I'm looking at a used wheel set with a Shimano cassette body. I
remember reading some time ago that the Campy 9sp should shift the Shimano 9sp alright. Is this
true? If not, what needs to be replaced.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

In article <[email protected]>, Alex <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a Campy 9sp rear der. and I'm looking at a used wheel set with a Shimano cassette body. I
>remember reading some time ago that the Campy 9sp should shift the Shimano 9sp alright. Is this
>true? If not, what needs to be replaced.

Correct, 9-speed Shimano cogs work quite well with 9-speed Campy shifter and most any Campy rear
derailleur designed for indexing. You can buy spacer kits to make the cog spacing totally
identical to Campy's but it's really not necessary, the performance should be quite adequate with
the Shimano spacing.

ashayk1-<< I have a Campy 9sp rear der. and I'm looking at a used wheel set with a Shimano cassette
body. I remember reading some time ago that the Campy 9sp should shift the Shimano 9sp alright. Is
this true?

Yes, Campagnolo 9s shifters and any Campagnolo rder will shift shimano 9s cassettes w/o
modification.

Earlier today, Gary Young replied to a compatability query with a link to "A Summary of the methods
Used for Mixing Campy Levers with Shimano Hubs."

http://www.hearingoffice.com/download/hearing/10_Speed_Conversion_print.pdf

That document mentions casettes available from Wheels Manufacturing that are effectively Shimano
products respaced for Campagnolo shifters.

Rodger

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:42:21 GMT, [email protected] (Rodger) wrote:

>That document mentions casettes available from Wheels Manufacturing that are effectively Shimano
>products respaced for Campagnolo shifters.

How can you respace the Shimano hub body to Campy spacing? The cogs will not fit. You can
respace 2 or 3 depending whether you use 2.8 Campy or IG, 2.65. The cogs that are on a spider
don't get touched.

"Rodger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Earlier today, Gary Young replied to a compatability query with a link to "A Summary of the
> methods Used for Mixing Campy Levers with Shimano Hubs."

http://www.hearingoffice.com/download/hearing/10_Speed_Conversion_print.pdf

> That document mentions casettes available from Wheels Manufacturing that are effectively Shimano
> products respaced for Campagnolo shifters.

Wheels makes an array of spacing kits to tweak cassette spacing for various formats. These are
color-coded cog spacers-simple to use, cheap. They also produce a range called "Accelerator" that is
quite dear and is a reworked cassette to duplicate Campagnolo Ten format on a Shimano hub.

However, as has been noted here repeatedly, no special measures are needed to use any nine speed
wheel in any nine speed bike. The actual variance among the various formats is less than the slop
inherent a derailleur system.

>Yes, Campagnolo 9s shifters and any Campagnolo rder will shift shimano 9s cassettes w/o
>modification.

So, let me get this straight. I am excited now! If I have a Dura-Ace rear 130mm hub on my Heron
and a 9 speed XTR 12-34 cassette, an all Veloce 9 speed group (currently friction setup w/ Suntour
bar-cons), I can get the Veloce brifters and have no problems indexing? I don't need a spacing
kit? I have the long cage rear Veloce derailleur, all triple setup. Also, any problems using the
levers with canti's, in this case nos older XTR canti's? I desperately want to go this route, and
have never tried indexing in all my years riding. I am motivated if this could work. Great seeing
you highlighted in Bicycling Peter. Must feel awesome! You hve answered many Campy questions for
me in the past.

Sincerely,

Tony Zanussi KCMO

On 13 Mar 2003 03:27:59 GMT, [email protected] (FULMADURO) wrote:

>So, let me get this straight. I am excited now! If I have a Dura-Ace rear 130mm hub on my Heron and
>a 9 speed XTR 12-34 cassette, an all Veloce 9 speed group (currently friction setup w/ Suntour
>bar-cons), I can get the Veloce brifters and have no problems indexing? I don't need a spacing kit?
>I have the long cage rear Veloce derailleur, all triple setup. Also, any problems using the levers
>with canti's, in this case nos older XTR canti's?

If you chain is properly set to be long enough to shift the big ring and big cog your ability to
shift the 34 if iffy. You have a shot if your big ring is a 50. You can shift a 32 with the long
cage Veloce. You can easilly shift the 34 if you get 2003, Centaur 3x10 long derailleur.

You don't have to do anything special to the cassette but you do need a 9sp chain.

If the canti brakes are sort of right angle shaped and stick out, you have a chance of using them
with the Ergo. If the arms curve inward, you'll need to think of another kind of brake.

"FULMADURO" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> So, let me get this straight. I am excited now! If I have a Dura-Ace
rear
> 130mm hub on my Heron and a 9 speed XTR 12-34 cassette, an all Veloce 9
speed
> group (currently friction setup w/ Suntour bar-cons), I can get the
Veloce
> brifters and have no problems indexing? I don't need a spacing kit? I
have
> the long cage rear Veloce derailleur, all triple setup. Also, any
problems
> using the levers with canti's, in this case nos older XTR canti's? I desperately want to go this
> route, and have never tried indexing in all my years riding. I am motivated if this could work.
> Great seeing you
highlighted
> in Bicycling Peter. Must feel awesome! You hve answered many Campy
questions
> for me in the past.

You are correct. Adding Ergo levers and a suitable 9x chain will do it and you're totally compatible
with cantilevers as well.