Campy 9spd crank and ft der shifting problems w 10 spd rear der

Alan

Guest
I am trying to use a 2001 era (about) racing triple crank which is 9
spd on a 10 spd setup in the back and a 9 spd triple f der. I am
having problems shifting the ft der. Campy says on their web site
that the spacing is different between the 9 spd crank and 10. Can I
get different chainring bolts to fix the spacing problem? If so let
me know what I need.

Do you think the 9 spd ft der is causing problems with this setup?
Per campy again they say this will not work.

It would be easier to get a f der than a new crank.

Thanks so much. I appreciate the help.

Alan

On Dec 4, 12:49 am, Alan <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am trying to use a 2001 era (about) racing triple crank which is 9
> spd on a 10 spd setup in the back and a 9 spd triple f der. I am
> having problems shifting the ft der. Campy says on their web site
> that the spacing is different between the 9 spd crank and 10. Can I
> get different chainring bolts to fix the spacing problem? If so let
> me know what I need.
>
> Do you think the 9 spd ft der is causing problems with this setup?
> Per campy again they say this will not work.
>
> It would be easier to get a f der than a new crank.
>
> Thanks so much. I appreciate the help.
>
> Alan

What Campy tells you is beside the point for your 9 spd cranks. If you
had a 10 spd crank, you could buy shims to pad out the space between
the chainwheels
for use with 9 spd chain, because yes, there is a tiny reduction in
the distance between the crankarms for 10 speeds.

http://www.branfordbike.com/cgi-bin...e=crank/crank1.html&ORDER_ID=125683522#item2a

If you have a problem, it may be narrower spacing between the cage
halves of the rear der.. A pair of very, very thin washers can take
care of that.

On Dec 4, 1:01 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Dec 4, 12:49 am, Alan <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I am trying to use a 2001 era (about) racing triple crank which is 9
> > spd on a 10 spd setup in the back and a 9 spd triple f der. I am
> > having problems shifting the ft der. Campy says on their web site
> > that the spacing is different between the 9 spd crank and 10. Can I
> > get different chainring bolts to fix the spacing problem? If so let
> > me know what I need.

> > Do you think the 9 spd ft der is causing problems with this setup?
> > Per campy again they say this will not work.

> > It would be easier to get a f der than a new crank.

> > Thanks so much. I appreciate the help.

> > Alan

> What Campy tells you is beside the point for your 9 spd cranks. If you
> had a 10 spd crank, you could buy shims to pad out the space between
> the chainwheels
> for use with 9 spd chain, because yes, there is a tiny reduction in
> the distance between the crankarms for 10 speeds.
>
> http://www.branfordbike.com/cgi-bin/perlshop/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=push...
>
> If you have a problem, it may be narrower spacing between the cage
> halves of the rear der.. A pair of very, very thin washers can take
> care of that.

Sorry I meant to make it clear that this is a 10 spd setup w a KMC 10
spd chain and the back shifts fine. Problems are on the front der and/
or crank.

Alan

Perhaps you could describe the shifting "problems" with the front
derailleur and crankset?

And are all the components involved in serviceable condition?

MW

> Sorry I meant to make it clear that this is a 10 spd setup w a KMC 10
> spd chain and the back shifts fine. Problems are on the front der and/
> or crank.
>
> Alan

I've been using my C-Record crank (officially 8speed I suppose) with
8, 9 & 10speed drivetrains without any problems. I don't think the
crank is the problem - I'd check to make sure the FD is setup
correctly.

Alan wrote:
> I am trying to use a 2001 era (about) racing triple crank which is 9
> spd on a 10 spd setup in the back and a 9 spd triple f der. I am
> having problems shifting the ft der. Campy says on their web site
> that the spacing is different between the 9 spd crank and 10. Can I
> get different chainring bolts to fix the spacing problem? If so let
> me know what I need.
>
> Do you think the 9 spd ft der is causing problems with this setup?
> Per campy again they say this will not work.
>
> It would be easier to get a f der than a new crank.

The crank is not the problem. Unless your left lever is QS it should
function well. With a QS lever it may require extreme effort or a new
front changer.
What sort of 'problems'??
--
Andrew Muzi