campy and shimano compatability

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by nath1, Mar 25, 2006.

1. nath1

nath1 New Member

Hi, does shimano squared taperd cranks fit onto campy square taperd bottem brackets? The reason im asking is that im currently building a training bike and the selection of bottem brackets by campag is better in price than shimano. cheers nathan.

Tags:

2. TWOPBikeGuy

TWOPBikeGuy New Member

I would imagine so. Did you check prices of cranksets? I would imagine it might be slightly cheeper to buy the whole set at once, even a whole groupo at your LBS.

3. IEatRice4Dinner

IEatRice4Dinner New Member

i wouldent use a shimano crank on campy bb. or shimano bb on campy crank the tapers are different.

4. John M

John M New Member

Do not use shimano cranks on Campy BB or vice versa. Some will say they have done it without problem, but although they both have the same taper angle, the size of the end of the spindle is different. The shimano could slide farther onto the Campy BB and may bottom out, thus making a loose fit that can damage the crank arm over time, or even the crank arm may fall off. Additionally this will distort the chainline and could have a deleterious effect on shifting. In practice, it can work, if you get the crank arm on there really tight and compensate for the chainline with a slightly longer BB. Best to just get a shimano BB for shimano crank.

See Sheldon Brown's site for the whole story:

http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#square