Campy Athena 7 sp. freewheel?

Frank Krygowski

Guest
I'm posting this for a friend who's Usenet-impaired.

He's got a bike with 1990-era Campy Athena equipment - all but the
7-speed freewheel. Seems someone was working on his bike as a favor and
lost the freewheel. (Seriously!) Ever since this happened, several
years ago, the bike's been out of commission.

What can he do to get this bike back on the road?

I'm sure he'd prefer to keep his shifters & derailleurs. He tells me
there is no friction option in the shifter. Assuming that's true, is
there a freewheel available with the proper spacing, etc?

I think he'd prefer something like a 13-28.

I'll pass on any advice. Thanks.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

frk-<< He's got a bike with 1990-era Campy Athena equipment - all but the
7-speed freewheel. Seems someone was working on his bike as a favor and
lost the freewheel. (Seriously!) Ever since this happened, several
years ago, the bike's been out of commission. >><BR><BR>
<< What can he do to get this bike back on the road? >><BR><BR>

Many 7s freewheels still available that will work just great with 8s ERGO.
Sram, shimano, new and old, even Falcon and newer Sram FW...

We have 14-28 Sram FW for $25. Also DA FW for lots and lots more.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Frank Krygowski wrote:

> I'm posting this for a friend who's Usenet-impaired.
>
> He's got a bike with 1990-era Campy Athena equipment - all but the
> 7-speed freewheel. Seems someone was working on his bike as a favor and
> lost the freewheel. (Seriously!) Ever since this happened, several
> years ago, the bike's been out of commission.
>
> What can he do to get this bike back on the road?
>
> I'm sure he'd prefer to keep his shifters & derailleurs. He tells me
> there is no friction option in the shifter. Assuming that's true, is
> there a freewheel available with the proper spacing, etc?
>
> I think he'd prefer something like a 13-28.

I seem to recall that the original offering in that period was a 7 speed
Regina . I still have one, it shifted so bad you couldn't pass it on to
customers. You should be able to pick up a Campa 8 speed wheel cheaply
---
Marten

Campy 7 speed freewheels have 5mm spacing between cogs. Shimano has
the same spacing, so if you can get your hands on a Dura Ace 7 speed
freewheel, it will work fine.
Sachs freewheels will also work fine.

Bill K. wrote:

> Campy 7 speed freewheels have 5mm spacing between cogs. Shimano has
> the same spacing, so if you can get your hands on a Dura Ace 7 speed
> freewheel, it will work fine.
> Sachs freewheels will also work fine.

No reason to limit it to thosse overpriced options. Any modern 7-speed
freewheel will index properly, and the current Shimano models are a huge
bargain.

They'll also shift better than the older models mentioned above.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#7

Sheldon "Hyperglide" Brown
| Some say the world will end in fire, |
| Some say in ice. |
| From what I've tasted of desire |
| I hold with those who favor fire. |
| But if it had to perish twice, |
| I think I know enough of hate |
| To say that for destruction ice |
| Is also great |
| And would suffice. --Robert Frost |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Frank Krygowski wrote:
> He's got a bike with 1990-era Campy Athena equipment - all but the
> 7-speed freewheel. Seems someone was working on his bike as a favor and
> lost the freewheel. (Seriously!)

-snip-
> What can he do to get this bike back on the road?
> I'm sure he'd prefer to keep his shifters & derailleurs. He tells me
> there is no friction option in the shifter. Assuming that's true, is
> there a freewheel available with the proper spacing, etc?
> I think he'd prefer something like a 13-28.

The Campagnolo SyncroII shifter does have a friction mode.
Pull out the right side cover turn 90 degrees and let go.

The shift insert inside has a dash of colored paint across
it. Various freehweel and derailleur combinations are
covered with different color rings. Write back with the
color of the ring in his shifter.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

I came late to this thread so sorry if this idea has already come up.

I frequently see Sachs Aris 7 speed 13x28 freewheels for sale, which
were specifically desiged for 7 speed indexed drive trains. My brother
has a Kline with the exact setup described here, with a Sachs(now SRAM)
7 speed chain and it indexes just fine (not Exa-drive fine but Syncros
II was not exactly Campy's most precise indexing effort either :)

I have seen them here new from $25 up and BikePro has them for $36.
Look around, they were everywhere a few years ago :)

Good Luck

Terry