Campy Avanti

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul Westall, May 2, 2003.

  1. Paul Westall

    Paul Westall Guest

    Where does Avanti stand in the Campy lineup? Is it below Mirage? Still in production or
    discontinued, anyone ever ride on thiese parts? Thanks, Paul

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Paul Westall wrote:
    > Where does Avanti stand in the Campy lineup? Is it below Mirage? Still in production or
    > discontinued, anyone ever ride on thiese parts?

    Avanti was below Mirage and was dropped around 1999 (maybe 98?). The quality was similar to today's
    Mirage and better than Xenon.

    A good example is the brake calipers. A brand new Mirage one I just bought is virtually identical to
    the Avanti's on a bike I bought new in 1999 (just with slightly better cable adjuster and chromed
    bolt head).

    You may find some details on the Campagnolo website in the spare parts section.

    ~PB

  3. Paul Westall

    Paul Westall Guest

    > Paul Westall wrote:
    > > Where does Avanti stand in the Campy lineup? Is it below Mirage? Still in production or
    > > discontinued, anyone ever ride on thiese parts?
    >
    > Avanti was below Mirage and was dropped around 1999 (maybe 98?). The quality was similar to
    > today's Mirage and better than Xenon.
    >
    > A good example is the brake calipers. A brand new Mirage one I just bought is virtually identical
    > to the Avanti's on a bike I bought new in 1999 (just with slightly better cable adjuster and
    > chromed bolt head).
    >
    > You may find some details on the Campagnolo website in the spare parts section.
    >
    > ~PB

    Thanks, I have heard that the Xenon comp's were terrible, so I wanted to make sure that Avanti
    wasn't just the old name for Xenon. Thinking of buying a bike w/ Avanti (it's really cheap)-if it
    lasts a few years before being replaced w/ better parts, it will be worth it to me.

  4. Peter-<< Where does Avanti stand in the Campy lineup? Is it below Mirage? Still in production or
    discontinued, anyone ever ride on thiese parts?

    Discontined in 2000, replaced with Xenon in 2003, below Mirage when in production. Lots of plastic
    but it worked and was convertible to 9s...

  5. Dana Kilalps

    Dana Kilalps Guest

    "Paul Westall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Where does Avanti stand in the Campy lineup? Is it below Mirage? Still in production or
    > discontinued, anyone ever ride on thiese parts? Thanks, Paul

    I recently bought a used Bianchi Trofeo 8 sp that has Avanti derailleurs and brakes and Mirage
    brifters. I have not rode it much yet, but I was immediately suprised at the crisp accurate shifts
    and braking. It seems as good as my old Chorus 10sp. Dana

  6. Paul Westall

    Paul Westall Guest

    "Dana Kilalps" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Paul Westall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Where does Avanti stand in the Campy lineup? Is it below Mirage? Still
    in
    > > production or discontinued, anyone ever ride on thiese parts? Thanks, Paul
    > >

    > I recently bought a used Bianchi Trofeo 8 sp that has Avanti derailleurs
    and
    > brakes and Mirage brifters. I have not rode it much yet, but I was immediately suprised at the
    > crisp accurate shifts and braking. It seems
    as
    > good as my old Chorus 10sp. Dana

    Nice to hear that, as a Trofeo is the bike I'm looking at also. Paul