Campy barcon question - help!

Dwight Moore

Guest
I'm building my first-ever TT bike, and I've never dealt with barcons before. I have a set of 9
speed shifters from a couple of years ago. They're in brand new condition. I'm trying to figure out
how to get the shifter firmly attached to the end of the handlebar. The right shifter seems to be
more of a problem than the left one.

What I've figured out so far is that I just twist the innermost plastic segmented ring to snug it up
to the second plastic ring. Then I just kinda stuff it into the bar. Problem is that I can't seem to
get it very tight, and if I try to twist the ring any further I can no longer get it into the bar.

So. Is there some trick to this, or does it just take a whole lot of fiddling and patience? Any help
would be HUGELY appreciated!

"Dwight Moore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm building my first-ever TT bike, and I've never dealt with barcons before. I have a set of 9
> speed shifters from a couple of years ago. They're in brand new condition. I'm trying to figure
> out how to get the shifter firmly attached to the end of the handlebar. The right shifter seems to
> be more of a problem than the left one.
>
> What I've figured out so far is that I just twist the innermost plastic segmented ring to snug it
> up to the second plastic ring. Then I just
kinda
> stuff it into the bar. Problem is that I can't seem to get it very tight, and if I try to twist
> the ring any further I can no longer get it into the bar.
>
> So. Is there some trick to this, or does it just take a whole lot of fiddling and patience? Any
> help would be HUGELY appreciated!

Disassemble the shifter from the handlebar mount by withdrawing the screw. Lubricate the threads of
the expander bolt under the black plastic wedges. Now you can use a 6mm allen wrench to turn the
expander bolt anticlockwise to lock the mount to the handlebar before installing the shifter in it.
I use a straightedge to line up the mount.