Campy barcon question - help!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dwight Moore, May 21, 2003.

  1. Dwight Moore

    Dwight Moore Guest

    I'm building my first-ever TT bike, and I've never dealt with barcons before. I have a set of 9
    speed shifters from a couple of years ago. They're in brand new condition. I'm trying to figure out
    how to get the shifter firmly attached to the end of the handlebar. The right shifter seems to be
    more of a problem than the left one.

    What I've figured out so far is that I just twist the innermost plastic segmented ring to snug it up
    to the second plastic ring. Then I just kinda stuff it into the bar. Problem is that I can't seem to
    get it very tight, and if I try to twist the ring any further I can no longer get it into the bar.

    So. Is there some trick to this, or does it just take a whole lot of fiddling and patience? Any help
    would be HUGELY appreciated!

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Dwight Moore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm building my first-ever TT bike, and I've never dealt with barcons before. I have a set of 9
    > speed shifters from a couple of years ago. They're in brand new condition. I'm trying to figure
    > out how to get the shifter firmly attached to the end of the handlebar. The right shifter seems to
    > be more of a problem than the left one.
    >
    > What I've figured out so far is that I just twist the innermost plastic segmented ring to snug it
    > up to the second plastic ring. Then I just
    kinda
    > stuff it into the bar. Problem is that I can't seem to get it very tight, and if I try to twist
    > the ring any further I can no longer get it into the bar.
    >
    > So. Is there some trick to this, or does it just take a whole lot of fiddling and patience? Any
    > help would be HUGELY appreciated!

    Disassemble the shifter from the handlebar mount by withdrawing the screw. Lubricate the threads of
    the expander bolt under the black plastic wedges. Now you can use a 6mm allen wrench to turn the
    expander bolt anticlockwise to lock the mount to the handlebar before installing the shifter in it.
    I use a straightedge to line up the mount.