Campy BB question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Road Man, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. Road Man

    Road Man Guest

    Hi!

    I'm in the process of building up my Woodrup frame, which has a 68 mm
    bottom bracket, presumably English threads. I have a Campy Racing T
    triple crank I can put on it and a Campy C-record double. What bottom
    brackets will work for each, and is there a BB that will work for
    both?

    Thanks!

    Ken Freeman
     
    Tags:


  2. Road Man wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm in the process of building up my Woodrup frame, which has a 68 mm
    > bottom bracket, presumably English threads. I have a Campy Racing T
    > triple crank I can put on it and a Campy C-record double. What bottom
    > brackets will work for each, and is there a BB that will work for
    > both?


    Yes, any Campagnolo 111mm length spindle BB. Like a AC-H or new
    Centaur, both in 111mm.

    This assuming the seatube of the Woodrup is 28.6 and the C-Record crank
    is from 1984 thru 1993.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Ken Freeman
     
  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 07:42:07 -0500, "Road Man"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi!
    >
    >I'm in the process of building up my Woodrup frame, which has a 68 mm
    >bottom bracket, presumably English threads. I have a Campy Racing T
    >triple crank I can put on it and a Campy C-record double. What bottom
    >brackets will work for each, and is there a BB that will work for
    >both?
    >

    I think that a 107 JIS or 111 ISO will work ok. Examples would be a
    Shimano UN53 or Campy Centaur 111, respectively. If the seatube is 32
    mm, you may need a 110 JIS or 115.5 ISO.
     
  4. Paul Kopit wrote:
    > On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 07:42:07 -0500, "Road Man"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi!
    > >
    > >I'm in the process of building up my Woodrup frame, which has a 68 mm
    > >bottom bracket, presumably English threads. I have a Campy Racing T
    > >triple crank I can put on it and a Campy C-record double. What bottom
    > >brackets will work for each, and is there a BB that will work for
    > >both?
    > >

    > I think that a 107 JIS or 111 ISO will work ok. Examples would be a
    > Shimano UN53 or Campy Centaur 111, respectively. If the seatube is 32
    > mm, you may need a 110 JIS or 115.5 ISO.


    Bad advice, as has been hashed around, by recommending JIS taper. LOTS
    of ISO taper BBs around, not scarce, no reason to NOT use the ISO BB.
     
  5. bfd

    bfd Guest

    Peter states:

    <This assuming the seatube of the Woodrup is 28.6 and the C-Record
    crank is from 1984 thru 1993. >

    Was there another period when the "C-Record" crank were made?
     
  6. Road Man

    Road Man Guest

    You may have already given me what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure.
    So let me try to clarify a little. Will a 111 mm Campy BB suit both a
    Racing tiple and a C-record double? I'd like to be able to test if I
    like a triple-shifting life versus a double-shifting life on this bike
    (I know, geeks with road bikes, go figger), so I'd like to be able to
    swap between those two crank sets without disturbing the BB. I'd also
    like to have a proper chainline with both cranksets.

    The Woodrup has a 28.6 seat tube, and the C-record is from '84 or '85.

    Shimano and ISO tapers are different from Campy, aren't they?

    Ken


    "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >
    > Road Man wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> I'm in the process of building up my Woodrup frame, which has a 68
    >> mm
    >> bottom bracket, presumably English threads. I have a Campy Racing
    >> T
    >> triple crank I can put on it and a Campy C-record double. What
    >> bottom
    >> brackets will work for each, and is there a BB that will work for
    >> both?

    >
    > Yes, any Campagnolo 111mm length spindle BB. Like a AC-H or new
    > Centaur, both in 111mm.
    >
    > This assuming the seatube of the Woodrup is 28.6 and the C-Record
    > crank
    > is from 1984 thru 1993.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Ken Freeman

    >
     
  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > Peter states:
    > <This assuming the seatube of the Woodrup is 28.6 and the C-Record
    > crank is from 1984 thru 1993. >


    bfd wrote:
    > Was there another period when the "C-Record" crank were made?


    I would have said that just as Peter did to ensure that's
    exactly what was meant. In the shop, it's common to be asked
    for a C-180 chainring, then the customer brings in Nuovo
    Record arm and the other way around too.



    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971
     
  8. bfd wrote:
    > Peter states:
    >
    > <This assuming the seatube of the Woodrup is 28.6 and the C-Record
    > crank is from 1984 thru 1993. >
    >
    > Was there another period when the "C-Record" crank were made?


    'C' Record was made from 1984 thru the early part of 1990 when it
    became known as 'Record' but the crank and the 111mm spindle stayed the
    same until the 1995 model year. Then the spindle became 102mm.
     
  9. Road Man wrote:
    > You may have already given me what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure.
    > So let me try to clarify a little. Will a 111 mm Campy BB suit both a
    > Racing tiple and a C-record double?


    Yes it will.

    I'd like to be able to test if I
    > like a triple-shifting life versus a double-shifting life on this bike
    > (I know, geeks with road bikes, go figger), so I'd like to be able to
    > swap between those two crank sets without disturbing the BB. I'd also
    > like to have a proper chainline with both cranksets.
    >
    > The Woodrup has a 28.6 seat tube, and the C-record is from '84 or '85.
    >
    > Shimano and ISO tapers are different from Campy, aren't they?


    They are and the abundance of proper BBs available make useage of an
    imprper BB not necessary.
    >
    > Ken
    >
    >
    > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > Road Man wrote:
    > >> Hi!
    > >>
    > >> I'm in the process of building up my Woodrup frame, which has a 68
    > >> mm
    > >> bottom bracket, presumably English threads. I have a Campy Racing
    > >> T
    > >> triple crank I can put on it and a Campy C-record double. What
    > >> bottom
    > >> brackets will work for each, and is there a BB that will work for
    > >> both?

    > >
    > > Yes, any Campagnolo 111mm length spindle BB. Like a AC-H or new
    > > Centaur, both in 111mm.
    > >
    > > This assuming the seatube of the Woodrup is 28.6 and the C-Record
    > > crank
    > > is from 1984 thru 1993.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks!
    > >>
    > >> Ken Freeman

    > >
     
  10. Road Man

    Road Man Guest

    I got this crankset used in the mid-80s, and it is definitely not a
    Nuovo or
    Super. It has the one spider integral with the pedal arm, and it was
    the
    first such design. So it fits Peter's 111 mm time frame.


    "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > 'C' Record was made from 1984 thru the early part of 1990 when it
    > became known as 'Record' but the crank and the 111mm spindle stayed
    > the
    > same until the 1995 model year. Then the spindle became 102mm.
    >



    Ken
     
  11. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On 3 Jan 2006 10:08:46 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bad advice, as has been hashed around, by recommending JIS taper. LOTS
    >of ISO taper BBs around, not scarce, no reason to NOT use the ISO BB.


    The Campy ACH x 111 ISO bb used those damned star shaped cups to
    insall. I understand that the later Campy bb use the Campy lockring
    tool to do the job. Unless you spent lots of $ on the TACX tool, there
    was no way to torque the Park tool for the star cup. Other than
    Campy, I think that 111 ISO is not so common.

    107 JIS bb are much more available and using a Shimano tool or ISIS
    tool, like a Pedros or FSA works fine.

    In my limited experience, I've had great luck with Campy AC-H and
    Shimano UN5?, UN7?, and UN91.

    My Cannondale road tandem, 140 mm dropouts, uses a AC-H 115.5 bb for
    either a Racing-T crankarm or Sugino XD set up as a 110 ring spaced
    'compact' double. There has been zero problem.
     
  12. bfd

    bfd Guest

    I agree that the Campy ACH cups are a pain to install, but I think the
    point Peter was trying to make is that using a Shimano or JIS tapered
    bb with a Campy crank runs the risk of ruining the crank. Why take the
    chance? In that case, if you're going to use a Campy crank, its best to
    use either a Campy bb or one with Campy ISO taper. Campy ACH or similar
    bb are affordable and work well.

    Simiarly, if you have a Shimano or Sugino crank that uses JIS taper bb,
    then uses a JIS bb. Shimano UN-xx series are excellent bb for the money.
     
  13. Road Man

    Road Man Guest

    Thanks to all for the help! I'm looking for a 111 mm campy BB,
    because I don't believe the Shimano tapers will be a good fit. The
    Campy's don't cost that much, anyway.

    Best regards,

    Ken


    "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I agree that the Campy ACH cups are a pain to install, but I think
    >the
    > point Peter was trying to make is that using a Shimano or JIS
    > tapered
    > bb with a Campy crank runs the risk of ruining the crank. Why take
    > the
    > chance? In that case, if you're going to use a Campy crank, its best
    > to
    > use either a Campy bb or one with Campy ISO taper. Campy ACH or
    > similar
    > bb are affordable and work well.
    >
    > Simiarly, if you have a Shimano or Sugino crank that uses JIS taper
    > bb,
    > then uses a JIS bb. Shimano UN-xx series are excellent bb for the
    > money.
    >
     
  14. Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:
    > ...
    > Yes, any Campagnolo 111mm length spindle BB. Like a AC-H or new
    > Centaur, both in 111mm.


    What type of grease should I use on the tapers when installing the
    cranks?

    --
    Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley
     
  15. Johnny Sunset wrote:
    > Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:
    > > ...
    > > Yes, any Campagnolo 111mm length spindle BB. Like a AC-H or new
    > > Centaur, both in 111mm.

    >
    > What type of grease should I use on the tapers when installing the
    > cranks?
    >
    > --
    > Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley


    Put 2 people in a room and ask this question, get three 'opinions'....

    You 'should' do what the factory recommends, like I do.
     
  16. Paul Kopit wrote:
    > On 3 Jan 2006 10:08:46 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Bad advice, as has been hashed around, by recommending JIS taper. LOTS
    > >of ISO taper BBs around, not scarce, no reason to NOT use the ISO BB.

    >
    > The Campy ACH x 111 ISO bb used those damned star shaped cups to
    > insall. I understand that the later Campy bb use the Campy lockring
    > tool to do the job. Unless you spent lots of $ on the TACX tool, there
    > was no way to torque the Park tool for the star cup. Other than
    > Campy, I think that 111 ISO is not so common.
    >
    > 107 JIS bb are much more available and using a Shimano tool or ISIS
    > tool, like a Pedros or FSA works fine.


    I guess this falls into YMMV. I use the new park tool for the AC-H all
    the time..NOT expensive. Call around and see how many bike shops
    actually have a 107mm shimano cart bearing square taper BB...not many
    in Boulder.

    >
    > In my limited experience, I've had great luck with Campy AC-H and
    > Shimano UN5?, UN7?, and UN91.
    >
    > My Cannondale road tandem, 140 mm dropouts, uses a AC-H 115.5 bb for
    > either a Racing-T crankarm or Sugino XD set up as a 110 ring spaced
    > 'compact' double. There has been zero problem.


    My point is that I believe that you should use the correct part for the
    job, not something else, unless that correct part is just not
    available. 'Not available' mostly means a lazy bike shop, not that it
    truly can't be found.
     
  17. Road Man

    Road Man Guest

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >> What type of grease should I use on the tapers when installing the
    >> cranks?

    >
    > You 'should' do what the factory recommends, like I do.
    >


    So, Peter, what DOES the factory recommend? Grease or not? I've done
    a few recent Nuovo Record R&Rs on my older bike without grease but
    with a torque wrench based on Lennard Zinn's recommendation in print,
    with no problems.

    Ken
     
  18. Road Man wrote:
    > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >> What type of grease should I use on the tapers when installing the
    > >> cranks?

    > >
    > > You 'should' do what the factory recommends, like I do.
    > >

    >
    > So, Peter, what DOES the factory recommend? Grease or not? I've done
    > a few recent Nuovo Record R&Rs on my older bike without grease but
    > with a torque wrench based on Lennard Zinn's recommendation in print,
    > with no problems.
    >
    > Ken


    Dry spindle, torqued to 23.6 to 28 ft-lbs.
     
Loading...
Loading...