Campy Brake Levers

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ddallam, Sep 8, 2005.

1. ddallam

ddallam New Member

Does anyone know if/how vintage Campy Super Record brake levers can be converted from non-aero to aero design??? Thanks.

Tags:

2. mark higgins

mark higgins New Member

I seem to remember trying to convert my levers in the 80s, when I first saw Hainault with this. I think I tried drilling a hole through the back of the lever and inserting the cable through this. You need the fat cable ends to brace the cable to the back of the lever. I seem to remember the braking being dreadful. Also you had to drill holes in the bars to pass the cables. Alright if you are light like I was then. If you have a nice retro bike I wouldn't want to chance wrecking it, unless you are good with power tools!

3. carpediemracing

carpediemracing New Member

this is before the white hooded levers right? because those have a kit to convert from aero to non-aero and vice versa. so this applies to Nuovo Record, Super Record, etc.

there are two ways, one is clean looking and doesn't work that great, the other is messy looking and works well.

1. clean looking, sort of - you will use the lever body as the cable housing stop. drill a hold for the cable approximately at the crotch of the top of the lever body. drill it at an angle (sort of pointing up towards the top of the lever itself). you can file an indent to help hold the cable housing in place. The cable housing will run under the hood. as mentioned before, it doesn't work well, tons of friction. maybe one of those wonder cables (the kind that doesn't have steel) would work well. if you have vintage hoods, they will rip. you need to have the softer more pliable aftermarket ones, forget brand name, the ones that came in really obnoxious colors.

2. messy looking. use a large cable housing stop in the TOP of the lever body, where the cable housing normally stops. but this time put the cable through it, and thread it into the lever where the cable normally terminates. the housing ends at that stop and comes out from under the lever. messy but functionally feels similar - stiff, nice clack when you release the lever, etc.

I converted my levers in both ways when DiaCompe first came out with their aero levers. Eventually I stayed with the second type (messy looking but it works) before ultimately going to aero levers.

I tried to drill something into the housing to mimic a normal aero setup but couldn't get it done right and now I forget what the problems were that I encountered.