Campy brake pads

Chris M

Guest
I know that OEM is not the only choice for parts but when you have
something that works so fantastic (and ends up being rolled out across
the board since you bought them) I figure I will stick with it.

I am getting a frame ready for spring and "in season" rides. Some
components are going to be moved over from the current frame (I only
have 1 pair of Record "differential" calipers) and I want to have the
spring bike ready to roll as soon as we get a patch of warm (70+ F
through the majority of the day for several days or more) weather and I
want to replace the pads on my Record D calipers. I recall an advert in
a bunch of the British cycling mags bragging about Campy's habit of
trickle down tech. They say (among other claims) that the pads used for
their Mirage calipers (entry level?) are the same as the Record pads.
The last time I saw a Veloce or lower caliper they had pads without the
aluminum backing. They were made from a one-piece rubber compound. Is
that what they mean, that the compound is the same as Record? Or are
the latest components literally identical? I want a new set of pads
with the assurance that they will perform the same as I've had. Also,
is that fast wear? The Record "D" calipers came out when? My yearly
miles on that bike have been only 6k or so (though I do use that bike
for bad weather so grit might be a factor but OTOH I am a smooth rider
that uses minimal braking) at most they have made it through 15K miles?
I guess that is pretty good and they are not totally gone. Plus those
last 3 years have been in my new location where there are no flat roads
(for the first 20 years I lived next to a trail that was pancake flat
along the bay for the opening 10 miles). Maybe I just need to adjust my
expectations of how long they should last.

OK, what I really want to know is what pads I need to order to assure
the same performance as these Record Ds put in service late 2002.

TIA

PS - I find it amazing that the front and rear each seem to have worn
at virtually the same rate.

"Chris M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I know that OEM is not the only choice for parts but when you have
> something that works so fantastic (and ends up being rolled out across
> the board since you bought them) I figure I will stick with it.
>
> I am getting a frame ready for spring and "in season" rides. Some
> components are going to be moved over from the current frame (I only
> have 1 pair of Record "differential" calipers) and I want to have the
> spring bike ready to roll as soon as we get a patch of warm (70+ F
> through the majority of the day for several days or more) weather and I
> want to replace the pads on my Record D calipers. I recall an advert in
> a bunch of the British cycling mags bragging about Campy's habit of
> trickle down tech. They say (among other claims) that the pads used for
> their Mirage calipers (entry level?) are the same as the Record pads.
> The last time I saw a Veloce or lower caliper they had pads without the
> aluminum backing. They were made from a one-piece rubber compound. Is
> that what they mean, that the compound is the same as Record? Or are
> the latest components literally identical?

They mean the compound. The latest Mirage brakes still have one-piece
blocks; Veloce's have orbital adjustment and look similar to Record's.

> I want a new set of pads
> with the assurance that they will perform the same as I've had. Also,
> is that fast wear? The Record "D" calipers came out when? My yearly
> miles on that bike have been only 6k or so (though I do use that bike
> for bad weather so grit might be a factor but OTOH I am a smooth rider
> that uses minimal braking) at most they have made it through 15K miles?
> I guess that is pretty good and they are not totally gone. Plus those
> last 3 years have been in my new location where there are no flat roads
> (for the first 20 years I lived next to a trail that was pancake flat
> along the bay for the opening 10 miles). Maybe I just need to adjust my
> expectations of how long they should last.
>
> OK, what I really want to know is what pads I need to order to assure
> the same performance as these Record Ds put in service late 2002.

All Campag pads give the same performance when adjusted properly, just
some shoes have orbital adjustment and replaceable pads and some don't,
and the appearance varies (and weight?).

Kool Stop Salmon and Dual brake well, last well, and are less susceptable
to picking up bits of metal.

~PB

Chris M wrote:
> I know that OEM is not the only choice for parts but when you have
> something that works so fantastic (and ends up being rolled out across
> the board since you bought them) I figure I will stick with it.
>
> I am getting a frame ready for spring and "in season" rides. Some
> components are going to be moved over from the current frame (I only
> have 1 pair of Record "differential" calipers) and I want to have the
> spring bike ready to roll as soon as we get a patch of warm (70+ F
> through the majority of the day for several days or more) weather and I
> want to replace the pads on my Record D calipers. I recall an advert in
> a bunch of the British cycling mags bragging about Campy's habit of
> trickle down tech. They say (among other claims) that the pads used for
> their Mirage calipers (entry level?) are the same as the Record pads.
> The last time I saw a Veloce or lower caliper they had pads without the
> aluminum backing. They were made from a one-piece rubber compound. Is
> that what they mean, that the compound is the same as Record? Or are
> the latest components literally identical?

Veloce use a holder that use the same slide in blocks as Record and all
the others. Mirage use a really well made one piece block that will
work fine on any Campag brake.