Campy brake/shifters Question

Maui Mike

May 12, 2004
Just wondering if you can use Campy brakelever/shifters with Shimano derailers?

Originally posted by Maui Mike
Just wondering if you can use Campy brakelever/shifters with Shimano derailers?
Not generally,because campy and shimano derailers have different throw ratios. Sometimes you get lucky and a mismatched combination will work because it's 'close enough'. Campy 10 shifters will work well with an otherwise shimano 9 drivetrain,by using an alternate cable mount at the RD, that alters the throw ratio. There are other similar mixes that work.

Yeah I have heard the same. Campy levers work best with their stuff. I have used a Shimano wheel and cassette with Campy shifters and derailuers though.

Originally posted by gubaguba
Yeah I have heard the same. Campy levers work best with their stuff. I have used a Shimano wheel and cassette with Campy shifters and derailuers though.
That's because the cog spacing tho not the same is close enough that it works pretty well.

Originally posted by sfcommuter
Sorry, meant to add a few words to describe the link I posted. It lists various methods for mixing campy brifters with Shimano, including using a special adapter (Veloparts) that from what I've heard works pretty well to allow ERGO brifters to shift a Shimano RD. Other methods in the doc as well...

http://www.hearingoffice.com/download/hearing/10_Speed_Conversion_screen.pdf

or you could just use the right stuff no?

u should never really have any problems with the front derailleur obviously as there is no real indexing on these (it may be the same throw ratio anyway) but i think with the rear you are just better off using the right stuff to start with. saves a lot of hassles.

Originally posted by drewjc
u should never really have any problems with the front derailleur obviously as there is no real indexing on these (it may be the same throw ratio anyway) but i think with the rear you are just better off using the right stuff to start with. saves a lot of hassles.
Campy levers will work with alot of FD because of the way the shifters work.Shimanos indexed front shifter is alot pickier,especially with a triple and even to a degree with a double.I have alot of shimano FDs that 'should work' with a shimano STI front,but don't, because of incompatible arm length or throw ratio.