Campy brakes with SRAM Force

shortchevy

Sep 16, 2013
I recently bought a 2013 SRAM Force, 5 piece group set, overlooking the fact that brakes were not included. Live and learn, right? Will current brakes from Campy work with SRAM? (I am assuming that Shimano will work since it looks like if the two are compatible in shifters, derailleurs and cassettes.) There is plenty of time for me to wait on a great deal, so if something in the Campy line comes along, I would like to be confident it will work. Thanks for helping an out of retirement mid-aged avid recreational cyclist.

Leonard Zinn: "Prior to the advent of Dura-Ace 7900, Campagnolo, Shimano, and SRAM all had similar road-lever cable pull, so swapping in brakes from Campy or SRAM will not make a significant difference."

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/03/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq/technical-faq-with-lennard-zinn-more-on-the-legality-of-lances-tires-di2-brake-compatibility-stack-reach-and-more_162155

I will advise anyone buying Campy brake calipers to buy the dual-pivot rear version. I just swapped back to one of my bikes with a single-pivot rear caliper and it's like NOT having a rear brake when compared to the stopping power of the dual-pivot model.

That said, if you can wait, why not find a fall/winter deal on SRAM Force/Red/Black?

Reactions: shortchevy
Thanks CampyBob for the info. I'm just a little excited to get this new bike on the road as my current bike is almost 25 years old. Good deals might not be far off with people wanting to upgrade to electronic shifting and other new products hitting the market.

REMEMBER that Campagnolo brake calipers have NOT had a quick release for more than two decades ... So, THAT may-or-may-not be an inconvenience which you may-or-may-not want to deal with.

Quote: Originally Posted by alfeng .

REMEMBER that Campagnolo brake calipers have NOT had a quick release for more than two decades ...

So, THAT may-or-may-not be an inconvenience which you may-or-may-not want to deal with.

that's a very valid point, I would search ebay for a secondhand set of sram calipers.