Campy cabling...

Iand

Guest
All,

I finally got my campy record brifters no cables tho. Concerning gear/brake cables, should I be
using gear cabling for the brake/gear levers or is there a seperate cable for each lever ? Also,
must I use the campy cable set or ???

Thanks,

Ian

The housing & cables are much like other systems, only more wrapped up under the tape. You need 2
brake cables plus 2 brake housings plus 2 gear cables plus 2 gear housings.

You can use non-Campagnolo cables and housing, but make sure it's low friction for the extra bends
and tight turns in the housing. I like Teflon-lined housing and smooth stainless steel inner cables.

Instructions (PDF files) are available online www.Campagnolo.com.

Barnetts manuals have good info on cutting and trimming your cable housing
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=38747

"IanD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> All,
>
> I finally got my campy record brifters no cables tho. Concerning gear/brake cables, should I be
> using gear cabling for the brake/gear levers or is there a seperate cable for each lever ? Also,
> must I use the campy cable set or ???

See http://www.icyclesusa.com for some very reasonable Campy cable pricing.

Alan "IanD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> All,
>
> I finally got my campy record brifters no cables tho. Concerning gear/brake cables, should I be
> using gear cabling for the brake/gear levers or is there a seperate cable for each lever ? Also,
> must I use the campy cable set or ???
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ian

IanD-<< Concerning gear/brake cables, should I be using gear cabling for the brake/gear levers or is
there a seperate cable for each lever ? Also, must I use the campy cable set or ??? >><BR><BR>

Use brake cable and housing for the brake and der inner wire and housing for the ders. They are
different. You can use any road brake cable but the der cable needs to have a smaller 'end' for the
shifter. Torelli, QBP, Campagnolo cables all work.

If this sounds like a mystery to you, a trip to the LBS is in order.

There are 3rd party cables that would work for Campy gears. HOWEVER, be aware that Campy has a
smaller "socket" than does Shimano. If you use the slightly larger Shimano cable end, it could be in
there forever... careful out there!

One other thing - if you see a 3rd party cable for Campy, don't look at a real Campy cable! The
Campy is so much nicer (a bit more flexible, "woven", etc) that you might spring for the extra $5.

[email protected] (IanD) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> All,
>
> I finally got my campy record brifters no cables tho. Concerning gear/brake cables, should I be
> using gear cabling for the brake/gear levers or is there a seperate cable for each lever ? Also,
> must I use the campy cable set or ???

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 01:41:20 GMT, richard <[email protected]>
wrote:

>There are 3rd party cables that would work for Campy gears. HOWEVER, be aware that Campy has a
>smaller "socket" than does Shimano. If you use the slightly larger Shimano cable end, it could be
>in there forever... careful out there!

Actually, Shimano housing is 4.0 mm and smaller than Campy's 4.5 mm. I use 5 mm housing with Campy
along with the requisite ferrule. If the larger ferrule doesn't come out easilly, I just use a sheet
metal screw threaded into the ferrule and pull it out. I takes little force. The wider ferrule with
a rounded seems to allow a new cable to be passed through easier than the narrow one. I think that
the hole in the ferrule gets lined up better.

Both Shimano and Campy use 1.2 mm derailleur cable. Many brands now come with smaller head for
the Campy hole. Sram makes some wire that is 1.1 mm that I've tried and it works as well as the
Campy, Torelli, or Quality Bicycle stuff. It comes in a neat little package with a cable crimp
and costs ~$2.

"richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There are 3rd party cables that would work for Campy gears. HOWEVER, be aware that Campy has a
> smaller "socket" than does Shimano. If you use the slightly larger Shimano cable end, it could be
> in there forever... careful out there!

I found this out the hard way. I put Shimano cables in my Sachs Ergos when I had them. No bueno! Had
to get a punch to get the head out...

So, what I've taken to doing is using a Dremel to grind away some of the head of a standard
Shimano cable.

Seems to work well. A little more effort, but its a LOT easier to find Shimano compatible cables
than it is Campy compatible cables.

Mike