Campy cabling...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Iand, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Iand

    Iand Guest

    All,

    I finally got my campy record brifters no cables tho. Concerning gear/brake cables, should I be
    using gear cabling for the brake/gear levers or is there a seperate cable for each lever ? Also,
    must I use the campy cable set or ???

    Thanks,

    Ian

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Kwapil

    Jeff Kwapil Guest

    The housing & cables are much like other systems, only more wrapped up under the tape. You need 2
    brake cables plus 2 brake housings plus 2 gear cables plus 2 gear housings.

    You can use non-Campagnolo cables and housing, but make sure it's low friction for the extra bends
    and tight turns in the housing. I like Teflon-lined housing and smooth stainless steel inner cables.

    Instructions (PDF files) are available online www.Campagnolo.com.

    Barnetts manuals have good info on cutting and trimming your cable housing
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=38747

    "IanD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > All,
    >
    > I finally got my campy record brifters no cables tho. Concerning gear/brake cables, should I be
    > using gear cabling for the brake/gear levers or is there a seperate cable for each lever ? Also,
    > must I use the campy cable set or ???

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    See http://www.icyclesusa.com for some very reasonable Campy cable pricing.

    Alan "IanD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > All,
    >
    > I finally got my campy record brifters no cables tho. Concerning gear/brake cables, should I be
    > using gear cabling for the brake/gear levers or is there a seperate cable for each lever ? Also,
    > must I use the campy cable set or ???
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ian

  4. IanD-<< Concerning gear/brake cables, should I be using gear cabling for the brake/gear levers or is
    there a seperate cable for each lever ? Also, must I use the campy cable set or ??? >><BR><BR>

    Use brake cable and housing for the brake and der inner wire and housing for the ders. They are
    different. You can use any road brake cable but the der cable needs to have a smaller 'end' for the
    shifter. Torelli, QBP, Campagnolo cables all work.

    If this sounds like a mystery to you, a trip to the LBS is in order.

  5. Richard

    Richard Guest

    There are 3rd party cables that would work for Campy gears. HOWEVER, be aware that Campy has a
    smaller "socket" than does Shimano. If you use the slightly larger Shimano cable end, it could be in
    there forever... careful out there!

    One other thing - if you see a 3rd party cable for Campy, don't look at a real Campy cable! The
    Campy is so much nicer (a bit more flexible, "woven", etc) that you might spring for the extra $5.

    [email protected] (IanD) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > All,
    >
    > I finally got my campy record brifters no cables tho. Concerning gear/brake cables, should I be
    > using gear cabling for the brake/gear levers or is there a seperate cable for each lever ? Also,
    > must I use the campy cable set or ???

  6. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 01:41:20 GMT, richard <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >There are 3rd party cables that would work for Campy gears. HOWEVER, be aware that Campy has a
    >smaller "socket" than does Shimano. If you use the slightly larger Shimano cable end, it could be
    >in there forever... careful out there!

    Actually, Shimano housing is 4.0 mm and smaller than Campy's 4.5 mm. I use 5 mm housing with Campy
    along with the requisite ferrule. If the larger ferrule doesn't come out easilly, I just use a sheet
    metal screw threaded into the ferrule and pull it out. I takes little force. The wider ferrule with
    a rounded seems to allow a new cable to be passed through easier than the narrow one. I think that
    the hole in the ferrule gets lined up better.

    Both Shimano and Campy use 1.2 mm derailleur cable. Many brands now come with smaller head for
    the Campy hole. Sram makes some wire that is 1.1 mm that I've tried and it works as well as the
    Campy, Torelli, or Quality Bicycle stuff. It comes in a neat little package with a cable crimp
    and costs ~$2.

  7. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There are 3rd party cables that would work for Campy gears. HOWEVER, be aware that Campy has a
    > smaller "socket" than does Shimano. If you use the slightly larger Shimano cable end, it could be
    > in there forever... careful out there!

    I found this out the hard way. I put Shimano cables in my Sachs Ergos when I had them. No bueno! Had
    to get a punch to get the head out...

    So, what I've taken to doing is using a Dremel to grind away some of the head of a standard
    Shimano cable.

    Seems to work well. A little more effort, but its a LOT easier to find Shimano compatible cables
    than it is Campy compatible cables.

    Mike