Campy cassette, how to add big cog

Anonymous

Guest
Hey all,

Knowing little about Campy...

What's the deal with adding a, say, 27, 28, or 29 cog to a 2002 or 2003 10 speed double Centaur
equipped bike? Current largest cog looks like 23 or 25 to me.

I did some Deja searches and came up with some info, but I'm hoping to cut to the chase here and
bring me up to speed. Is the process the same as Shimano? ie, the smallest cog is special, in the
case of Campy it's the lockring too? Otherwise just throw a cog on there, but keep in mind the
capability of the rear der?

Which begs another question. What is the largest cog a double Centaur rear der can handle? It
appears from Deja posts the 2003 Centaur model is different from the 2002. If so, how can I tell the
difference and find the rating for each?

I checked Sheldon's site first of course, hoping to find an equivalent Campy section to match his
amazing Shimano section, but no apparently. His site does, however, say this: "Individual Campagnolo
sprockets are not readily available." http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#9cassettes Is that
still the case?

Thanks, Doug

Doug wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Knowing little about Campy...
>
> What's the deal with adding a, say, 27, 28, or 29 cog to a 2002 or 2003 10 speed double Centaur
> equipped bike? Current largest cog looks like 23 or 25 to me.
>
> I did some Deja searches and came up with some info, but I'm hoping to cut to the chase here and
> bring me up to speed. Is the process the same as Shimano? ie, the smallest cog is special, in the
> case of Campy it's the lockring too? Otherwise just throw a cog on there, but keep in mind the
> capability of the rear der?
>
> Which begs another question. What is the largest cog a double Centaur rear der can handle? It
> appears from Deja posts the 2003 Centaur model is different from the 2002. If so, how can I tell
> the difference and find the rating for each?
>
> I checked Sheldon's site first of course, hoping to find an equivalent Campy section to match his
> amazing Shimano section, but no apparently. His site does, however, say this: "Individual
> Campagnolo sprockets are not readily available."
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#9cassettes Is that still the case?
>
> Thanks, Doug
Follow this link:

http://www.branfordbike.com/cassette/cog5.html

Kenny Lee

If you have a 12/25 x 10 sp you can add a 9sp 28t cog and a spacer. For the 10 sp Centaur cassette
12/25 pull the 16. On the Chorus and Record cassette, you need to pull the 15. You can also use a
13t end cog from a 9sp cassette and make a 13/28. You can use your current rear derailleur. The 28t
'problem' cog is available from any shop from Quality Bicycle Supply. I have one I didn't use opting
to buy a 13x28 when I was 9sp and 13/29 with 10 sp. $23 shipped.

>What's the deal with adding a, say, 27, 28, or 29 cog to a 2002 or 2003 10 speed double Centaur
>equipped bike? Current largest cog looks like 23 or 25 to me.

Doug-<< What's the deal with adding a, say, 27, 28, or 29 cog to a 2002 or 2003 10 speed double
Centaur equipped bike? Current largest cog looks like 23 or 25 to me. >><BR><BR>

Cannot really do this. 10s are available in 13-26 and 13-29, for info.

No sinlge large 10s cogs available.

Doug-<< Which begs another question. What is the largest cog a double Centaur rear der can handle?
It appears from Deja posts the 2003 Centaur model is different from the 2002. If so, how can I tell
the difference and find the rating for each? >><BR><BR>

Centaur comes in short, medium and long cage versions. With some imaginative chain lengths,m you can
use a 13-29 w/o problem with the short cage.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Doug-<< What's the deal with adding a, say, 27, 28, or 29 cog to a 2002 or 2003 10 speed double
> Centaur equipped bike? Current largest cog looks like 23 or 25 to me. >><BR><BR>
>
> Cannot really do this. 10s are available in 13-26 and 13-29, for info.
>
> No sinlge large 10s cogs available.

Marchisio make single 10sp cogs in sizes up to 30T. I'm not sure how one could best be used in this
particular case though.

~PB

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 03:16:02 +0100, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

>> Cannot really do this. 10s are available in 13-26 and 13-29, for info.
>>
>> No sinlge large 10s cogs available.
>
>Marchisio make single 10sp cogs in sizes up to 30T. I'm not sure how one could best be used in this
>particular case though.

You can take the 16 out of a 10 sp 12/25 Centaur and add a 9sp 28t cog for a 12/28 cassette. You can
replace the 12 with a 13 and then add the 30 for a 13/30.