campy cassette locking rings

Charles Beristain

Guest
recently bought a couple of 13-29 chorus 10 speed cassettes for hill
climbing. they came without locking rings. I removed a 12-25 cassette
and put the 13-29 on without any problems, using the existing locking
ring.. However, the locking ring on the existing 11-23 all Ti cassette
is too small in diameter to hold the rings in place.

It appears that the two locking rings are of different diameters.

Does anyone know how I find out about these various diameter locking
rings... and where to get one to fit the 13-29 cassette?

thanks

ps... we going to Ascutney tomorrow to do some practice hill climbing
to see if we are capable of attempting the mt. washington hill climb
next year.
I'm set up with a single 29 chain ring with a 13-29 rear so i will
have a low of 29-29 .. a 1:1 ratio. My friend is much stronger and he
will go with a compact crankset with a 13-29 cassette.

"Charles Beristain" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> recently bought a couple of 13-29 chorus 10 speed cassettes for hill
> climbing. they came without locking rings. I removed a 12-25 cassette
> and put the 13-29 on without any problems, using the existing locking
> ring.. However, the locking ring on the existing 11-23 all Ti cassette
> is too small in diameter to hold the rings in place.
>
> It appears that the two locking rings are of different diameters.
>
> Does anyone know how I find out about these various diameter locking
> rings... and where to get one to fit the 13-29 cassette?
>
> thanks
>
> ps... we going to Ascutney tomorrow to do some practice hill climbing
> to see if we are capable of attempting the mt. washington hill climb
> next year.
> I'm set up with a single 29 chain ring with a 13-29 rear so i will
> have a low of 29-29 .. a 1:1 ratio. My friend is much stronger and he
> will go with a compact crankset with a 13-29 cassette.

Best lockring description, with pictures too!:

http://www.branfordbike.com/cassette/cog18.html#item3

> Does anyone know how I find out about these various diameter locking
> rings... and where to get one to fit the 13-29 cassette?

You have to consider two things here. First there is the model/year of
the hub. If it is a "oversize" model the diameter of the threaded part
of the lockring is 27 mm, otherwise it is 26 mm. Then there is the
question of the first cassette cog. If it's a 11T you need one with a
small outer diameter (~ 35 mm) and if it is a 12T/13T use one with a
large outer diameter (~ 38 mm)

Regards

O. Simonsen