campy cassette locking rings

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Charles Beristain, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. recently bought a couple of 13-29 chorus 10 speed cassettes for hill
    climbing. they came without locking rings. I removed a 12-25 cassette
    and put the 13-29 on without any problems, using the existing locking
    ring.. However, the locking ring on the existing 11-23 all Ti cassette
    is too small in diameter to hold the rings in place.

    It appears that the two locking rings are of different diameters.

    Does anyone know how I find out about these various diameter locking
    rings... and where to get one to fit the 13-29 cassette?

    thanks

    ps... we going to Ascutney tomorrow to do some practice hill climbing
    to see if we are capable of attempting the mt. washington hill climb
    next year.
    I'm set up with a single 29 chain ring with a 13-29 rear so i will
    have a low of 29-29 .. a 1:1 ratio. My friend is much stronger and he
    will go with a compact crankset with a 13-29 cassette.

    Tags:

  2. bfd

    bfd Guest

    "Charles Beristain" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > recently bought a couple of 13-29 chorus 10 speed cassettes for hill
    > climbing. they came without locking rings. I removed a 12-25 cassette
    > and put the 13-29 on without any problems, using the existing locking
    > ring.. However, the locking ring on the existing 11-23 all Ti cassette
    > is too small in diameter to hold the rings in place.
    >
    > It appears that the two locking rings are of different diameters.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I find out about these various diameter locking
    > rings... and where to get one to fit the 13-29 cassette?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > ps... we going to Ascutney tomorrow to do some practice hill climbing
    > to see if we are capable of attempting the mt. washington hill climb
    > next year.
    > I'm set up with a single 29 chain ring with a 13-29 rear so i will
    > have a low of 29-29 .. a 1:1 ratio. My friend is much stronger and he
    > will go with a compact crankset with a 13-29 cassette.

    Best lockring description, with pictures too!:

    http://www.branfordbike.com/cassette/cog18.html#item3

  3. O. Simonsen

    O. Simonsen Guest

    > Does anyone know how I find out about these various diameter locking
    > rings... and where to get one to fit the 13-29 cassette?

    You have to consider two things here. First there is the model/year of
    the hub. If it is a "oversize" model the diameter of the threaded part
    of the lockring is 27 mm, otherwise it is 26 mm. Then there is the
    question of the first cassette cog. If it's a 11T you need one with a
    small outer diameter (~ 35 mm) and if it is a 12T/13T use one with a
    large outer diameter (~ 38 mm)

    Regards

    O. Simonsen

  4. bfd and os

    thanks so much for the info...
    I found a small spacer in my junk box that just fit the inside of
    the13 cog and allows the locking ring to hold the cassette in place...
    at least until we buy a proper one.

    >http://www.branfordbike.com/cassette/cog18.html#item3

    charlieb in ct