Campy Centaur CT FDer Stupidity

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Johnny Two Pedals, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. Chalk it up to a lingering bout of flu, but I made a bonehead mistake.
    I bought a used Centaur CT Braze-on FD on EBay, planning on swapping
    out the braze-on fitting for a my present clamp on. The Campy parts
    list shows that the only difference between them is the mount. I wanted
    to try the compact FD on the cheap, and the EBay price for the braze-on
    was right.
    Here is where the flu part comes in.....
    I checked the Centaur parts list for interchangeability, but forgot
    that my present FD is Daytona. The Daytona shift cage is attached to
    the clamp with a jesus clip, but the Centaur is attached via a bolt.
    Further, the lower pivot pins aapear to be different sizes.
    After a few minutes of self-flagellation, the Campy parts list was
    consulted, and it looks like I could get away with a FD-CE008 rear
    clamp half (26.8mm), and swap out the rest of the parts.
    I live in an area that is not very Campy friendly, so I'm throwing
    myself on the mercy of the fine denizens of RBT......anybody got a clue
    as to the price of a clamp half?
    Be gentle....I'm still sick

    Johnny

    When cryptography is outlawed,
    bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.

    "Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum
    pantorum"
    - Comicus

    Tags:

  2. raelwelcome

    raelwelcome Guest

    "Johnny Two Pedals" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Chalk it up to a lingering bout of flu, but I made a bonehead mistake.
    > I bought a used Centaur CT Braze-on FD on EBay, planning on swapping
    > out the braze-on fitting for a my present clamp on. The Campy parts
    > list shows that the only difference between them is the mount. I wanted
    > to try the compact FD on the cheap, and the EBay price for the braze-on
    > was right.
    > Here is where the flu part comes in.....
    > I checked the Centaur parts list for interchangeability, but forgot
    > that my present FD is Daytona. The Daytona shift cage is attached to
    > the clamp with a jesus clip, but the Centaur is attached via a bolt.
    > Further, the lower pivot pins aapear to be different sizes.
    > After a few minutes of self-flagellation, the Campy parts list was
    > consulted, and it looks like I could get away with a FD-CE008 rear
    > clamp half (26.8mm), and swap out the rest of the parts.
    > I live in an area that is not very Campy friendly, so I'm throwing
    > myself on the mercy of the fine denizens of RBT......anybody got a clue
    > as to the price of a clamp half?
    > Be gentle....I'm still sick
    >
    > Johnny
    >
    > When cryptography is outlawed,
    > bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.
    >
    > "Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum
    > pantorum"
    > - Comicus

    This solution worked for me. It seems easier and cheaper than other
    options.

    http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8
    &description=Front+Derailleur+Clamp+Adaptor&vendorCode=PS&major=1&minor=
    33

  3. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    " Cave ne quidquam incipias, quod post poeniteat." - Syrus

    On 17 Mar 2006 18:53:47 -0800, "Johnny Two Pedals"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Chalk it up to a lingering bout of flu, but I made a bonehead mistake.
    >I bought a used Centaur CT Braze-on FD on EBay, planning on swapping
    >out the braze-on fitting for a my present clamp on. The Campy parts
    >list shows that the only difference between them is the mount. I wanted
    >to try the compact FD on the cheap, and the EBay price for the braze-on
    >was right.
    >Here is where the flu part comes in.....
    >I checked the Centaur parts list for interchangeability, but forgot
    >that my present FD is Daytona. The Daytona shift cage is attached to
    >the clamp with a jesus clip, but the Centaur is attached via a bolt.
    >Further, the lower pivot pins aapear to be different sizes.
    >After a few minutes of self-flagellation, the Campy parts list was
    >consulted, and it looks like I could get away with a FD-CE008 rear
    >clamp half (26.8mm), and swap out the rest of the parts.
    >I live in an area that is not very Campy friendly, so I'm throwing
    >myself on the mercy of the fine denizens of RBT......anybody got a clue
    >as to the price of a clamp half?
    >Be gentle....I'm still sick

    You're either overthinking this or simply overmedicated on flu
    elixirs. Just remove the retaining fasteners (circlip or bolt, as the
    case may be) and take the articulating arms, spring and cage plates
    off each of their respective mounts and switch them. They'll fit, so
    don't acquire any unnecessary new hardware . Fix the new bits on each
    mount using that mount's original fastener.

    -------------------------------
    John Dacey
    Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
    http://www.businesscycles.com
    Since 1983
    Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
    -------------------------------

  4. John Dacey wrote:

    > You're either overthinking this or simply overmedicated on flu
    > elixirs. Just remove the retaining fasteners (circlip or bolt, as the
    > case may be) and take the articulating arms, spring and cage plates
    > off each of their respective mounts and switch them. They'll fit, so
    > don't acquire any unnecessary new hardware . Fix the new bits on each
    > mount using that mount's original fastener.
    >
    > -------------------------------
    > John Dacey
    > Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
    > http://www.businesscycles.com
    > Since 1983
    > Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
    > -------------------------------

    John,

    The flu meds are going in the garbage this morning. Between the meds
    and hanging out with too many nukes at work, I really did overthink
    this. The bits do in fact fit just fine. I'm now the proud owner of
    the only Two Tone CenTona CT in the neighborhood.
    Thanks

    John D.

    " The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's
    limits"
    - A. Einstein