Campy Centaur CT FDer Stupidity

Johnny Two Pedals

Guest
Chalk it up to a lingering bout of flu, but I made a bonehead mistake.
I bought a used Centaur CT Braze-on FD on EBay, planning on swapping
out the braze-on fitting for a my present clamp on. The Campy parts
list shows that the only difference between them is the mount. I wanted
to try the compact FD on the cheap, and the EBay price for the braze-on
was right.
Here is where the flu part comes in.....
I checked the Centaur parts list for interchangeability, but forgot
that my present FD is Daytona. The Daytona shift cage is attached to
the clamp with a jesus clip, but the Centaur is attached via a bolt.
Further, the lower pivot pins aapear to be different sizes.
After a few minutes of self-flagellation, the Campy parts list was
consulted, and it looks like I could get away with a FD-CE008 rear
clamp half (26.8mm), and swap out the rest of the parts.
I live in an area that is not very Campy friendly, so I'm throwing
myself on the mercy of the fine denizens of RBT......anybody got a clue
as to the price of a clamp half?
Be gentle....I'm still sick

Johnny

When cryptography is outlawed,
bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.

"Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum
pantorum"
- Comicus

"Johnny Two Pedals" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Chalk it up to a lingering bout of flu, but I made a bonehead mistake.
> I bought a used Centaur CT Braze-on FD on EBay, planning on swapping
> out the braze-on fitting for a my present clamp on. The Campy parts
> list shows that the only difference between them is the mount. I wanted
> to try the compact FD on the cheap, and the EBay price for the braze-on
> was right.
> Here is where the flu part comes in.....
> I checked the Centaur parts list for interchangeability, but forgot
> that my present FD is Daytona. The Daytona shift cage is attached to
> the clamp with a jesus clip, but the Centaur is attached via a bolt.
> Further, the lower pivot pins aapear to be different sizes.
> After a few minutes of self-flagellation, the Campy parts list was
> consulted, and it looks like I could get away with a FD-CE008 rear
> clamp half (26.8mm), and swap out the rest of the parts.
> I live in an area that is not very Campy friendly, so I'm throwing
> myself on the mercy of the fine denizens of RBT......anybody got a clue
> as to the price of a clamp half?
> Be gentle....I'm still sick
>
> Johnny
>
> When cryptography is outlawed,
> bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.
>
> "Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum
> pantorum"
> - Comicus

This solution worked for me. It seems easier and cheaper than other
options.

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8
&description=Front+Derailleur+Clamp+Adaptor&vendorCode=PS&major=1&minor=
33

" Cave ne quidquam incipias, quod post poeniteat." - Syrus

On 17 Mar 2006 18:53:47 -0800, "Johnny Two Pedals"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Chalk it up to a lingering bout of flu, but I made a bonehead mistake.
>I bought a used Centaur CT Braze-on FD on EBay, planning on swapping
>out the braze-on fitting for a my present clamp on. The Campy parts
>list shows that the only difference between them is the mount. I wanted
>to try the compact FD on the cheap, and the EBay price for the braze-on
>was right.
>Here is where the flu part comes in.....
>I checked the Centaur parts list for interchangeability, but forgot
>that my present FD is Daytona. The Daytona shift cage is attached to
>the clamp with a jesus clip, but the Centaur is attached via a bolt.
>Further, the lower pivot pins aapear to be different sizes.
>After a few minutes of self-flagellation, the Campy parts list was
>consulted, and it looks like I could get away with a FD-CE008 rear
>clamp half (26.8mm), and swap out the rest of the parts.
>I live in an area that is not very Campy friendly, so I'm throwing
>myself on the mercy of the fine denizens of RBT......anybody got a clue
>as to the price of a clamp half?
>Be gentle....I'm still sick

You're either overthinking this or simply overmedicated on flu
elixirs. Just remove the retaining fasteners (circlip or bolt, as the
case may be) and take the articulating arms, spring and cage plates
off each of their respective mounts and switch them. They'll fit, so
don't acquire any unnecessary new hardware . Fix the new bits on each
mount using that mount's original fastener.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
http://www.businesscycles.com
Since 1983
Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
-------------------------------

John Dacey wrote:

> You're either overthinking this or simply overmedicated on flu
> elixirs. Just remove the retaining fasteners (circlip or bolt, as the
> case may be) and take the articulating arms, spring and cage plates
> off each of their respective mounts and switch them. They'll fit, so
> don't acquire any unnecessary new hardware . Fix the new bits on each
> mount using that mount's original fastener.
>
> -------------------------------
> John Dacey
> Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
> http://www.businesscycles.com
> Since 1983
> Our catalog of track equipment: online since 1996
> -------------------------------

John,

The flu meds are going in the garbage this morning. Between the meds
and hanging out with too many nukes at work, I really did overthink
this. The bits do in fact fit just fine. I'm now the proud owner of
the only Two Tone CenTona CT in the neighborhood.
Thanks

John D.

" The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's
limits"
- A. Einstein