Campy Centaur Shifter Mileage/Lifespan

nerdag

Dec 12, 2004
Does anybody have any idea how long I could expect a pair of Campag centaur (10s model, pre-QS) shifters to last before a full rebuild is needed, assuming regular servicing, but used in a local club racing environment?

Reason I'm interested is that I'm looking at buying a used pair, and I'm not sure how used is too used to justify a particular pricepoint. I'm also wary of buying used parts that have had far too much use.

This is for a commuter bike, so new and pretty is definitely not a priority, but functional life is.

Any experiences or perspectives you could offer would be helpful.

n

nerdag said:
Does anybody have any idea how long I could expect a pair of Campag centaur (10s model, pre-QS) shifters to last before a full rebuild is needed, assuming regular servicing, but used in a local club racing environment?

Reason I'm interested is that I'm looking at buying a used pair, and I'm not sure how used is too used to justify a particular pricepoint. I'm also wary of buying used parts that have had far too much use.

This is for a commuter bike, so new and pretty is definitely not a priority, but functional life is.

Any experiences or perspectives you could offer would be helpful.

n
The (apparent) recommendation is to have the G-Springs replaced at 12,000 miles -- THAT is very much dependent on frequency of shifting, and the actual mileage could be much more, or less.

As a very arbitrary rule-of-thumb, I would say that when the hoods are worn SMOOTH, the G-springs need to be replaced. Now, having said that, SOME riders hold onto their levers with a death-grip AND the wear/smoothing could be premature to what I would expect.

Check the pictures and if they look good, chances are that they are good.
A spring replacement is not a large extra cost and it is the only thing that really wears out.

There's a video instruction on YouTube.com on how to replace the G-spring. Doesn't look too difficult if you are good at building models and other handy jobs.

How do you know when the G spring needs replacing?

My 4 yo (10,000km) centaur right shifter has lost the "clack" when using the thumb shifter. It still indexes fine but has a much softer sound/feel. Large shift lever still works well (and noise is mostly unchanged).

sogood said:
There's a video instruction on YouTube.com on how to replace the G-spring. Doesn't look too difficult if you are good at building models and other handy jobs.
Ta for the tips, all.

Alfeng, a somewhat related question (since you seem to be the Shimergo guru ;))

I'm also looking to setup another bike with the hubbub shimergo setup, but am having trouble finding a reasonably priced set of pre-07 ergos (unless I buy Chorus or Record, which I don't want to do).

Do you know if a left 07/08 QS shifter will work with such a setup? From my reading, I suspect that the "semi-indexing" of the QS shifters would work, but haven't been able to see them in action to verify either way.

I'm not bothered about single clicking to get RH upshifts/LH downshifts with the 2007 levers - that's no problem at all.

Ta,

n

nerdag said:
I'm also looking to setup another bike with the hubbub shimergo setup, but am having trouble finding a reasonably priced set of pre-07 ergos (unless I buy Chorus or Record, which I don't want to do).

Do you know if a left 07/08 QS shifter will work with such a setup? From my reading, I suspect that the "semi-indexing" of the QS shifters would work, but haven't been able to see them in action to verify either way.

I'm not bothered about single clicking to get RH upshifts/LH downshifts with the 2007 levers - that's no problem at all.
As the Fates would have it, I should be receiving a set of 2007 Campagnolo QS shifters later this week (in a couple of days) because my curiosity was getting the better of me & I was wondering the SAME thing!

The initial/(privately received) feedback which I've "heard" was inconclusive in that regard ...

I'll try to provide a more comprehensive answer in a few days ...

nerdag said:
Ta for the tips, all.

Alfeng, a somewhat related question (since you seem to be the Shimergo guru ;))

Ta,

n
The LH shifter controls the front, and the hubbub routing only affects the rear shifting.

thomas_cho said:
The LH shifter controls the front, and the hubbub routing only affects the rear shifting.
That's exactly what I'm interested in - I was only quoting the hubbub mod so that readers would know what the heck I am on about. Perhaps I could have been clearer.

Hey Thomas, are the ergos on your colnago that you run with a jtek shiftmate (pic you posted not long ago) QS, or are they pre-07?

n

Phill P said:
How do you know when the G spring needs replacing?

My 4 yo (10,000km) centaur right shifter has lost the "clack" when using the thumb shifter. It still indexes fine but has a much softer sound/feel. Large shift lever still works well (and noise is mostly unchanged).
It is a slow process. When the indexing is no more. That's when to get it looked at.

nerdag said:
That's exactly what I'm interested in - I was only quoting the hubbub mod so that readers would know what the heck I am on about. Perhaps I could have been clearer.

Hey Thomas, are the ergos on your colnago that you run with a jtek shiftmate (pic you posted not long ago) QS, or are they pre-07?

n
I am still not clear what you are interested in! :)

Anyway in regards to my Colnago setup, I used 06 chorus shifters. I have another setup where I used 07 QS Veloce shifters with the Jtek device in a 10 spd drivetrain.

I have not personally used the hubbub routing yet. I would be very surprised if it didnt work with 06 or 07 campy shifters.

thomas_cho said:
I am still not clear what you are interested in! :)

Anyway in regards to my Colnago setup, I used 06 chorus shifters. I have another setup where I used 07 QS Veloce shifters with the Jtek device in a 10 spd drivetrain.

I have not personally used the hubbub routing yet. I would be very surprised if it didnt work with 06 or 07 campy shifters.
Hubbub cable anchoring works fine - I am using it on my Shimano 9s commuter at the moment with '06 Centaur 10s ergos.

The reason for all of these 'strange' questions is that I'm looking at 'downgrading' the commuter bike to '07 Veloce, so I can use the Centaur levers on my current Shimano 9s road bike. Reason for doing this is that I have decided I find the feel of ergos better for my small hands. Another reason is that apart from the brifters, the Shimano drivetrain is less costly than Campag, especially cassettes/chains, so in the long run it will work out cheaper, especially on a day-to-day road bike.

I'm interested in whether the front shifting with the QS shifters will work with non-Campag FD/cranks (i.e. Shimano), like the pre-07 shifters would. It sounds like you are running one with your Veloce Ergo equipped bike!

Is there are difference in the front shifting between your two ShimErgo bikes?

Ta,

n

nerdag said:
Hubbub cable anchoring works fine - I am using it on my Shimano 9s commuter at the moment with '06 Centaur 10s ergos.

The reason for all of these 'strange' questions is that I'm looking at 'downgrading' the commuter bike to '07 Veloce, so I can use the Centaur levers on my current Shimano 9s road bike. Reason for doing this is that I have decided I find the feel of ergos better for my small hands. Another reason is that apart from the brifters, the Shimano drivetrain is less costly than Campag, especially cassettes/chains, so in the long run it will work out cheaper, especially on a day-to-day road bike.

I'm interested in whether the front shifting with the QS shifters will work with non-Campag FD/cranks (i.e. Shimano), like the pre-07 shifters would. It sounds like you are running one with your Veloce Ergo equipped bike!

Is there are difference in the front shifting between your two ShimErgo bikes?

Ta,

n
Ah ok it all makes sense now. No problems with Front shifting on either bike. But I do prefer the 06 shifters, as they have trimming clicks shifting up or down. I do not get any trimming shifting down with the 07 Veloce. Its much like Shimano indexing shifting down (hope that makes sense). I use a Ultegra FD on both bikes, but would very much like to try a Campy QS FD, I am guessing/hoping that front shifting would be better with the QS dedicated FD.

Good luck.

alfeng said:
As the Fates would have it, I should be receiving a set of 2007 Campagnolo QS shifters later this week (in a couple of days) because my curiosity was getting the better of me & I was wondering the SAME thing!

The initial/(privately received) feedback which I've "heard" was inconclusive in that regard ...

I'll try to provide a more comprehensive answer in a few days ...
Would appreciate hearing your experience alfeng. Are you planning to run it with a triple, or just a double?

n

thomas_cho said:
But I do prefer the 06 shifters, as they have trimming clicks shifting up or down. I do not get any trimming shifting down with the 07 Veloce. Its much like Shimano indexing shifting down (hope that makes sense)
Ta for the feedback. I presume you are running a double with the QS Veloce ergos? Is the trimming available going up a gear?

The commuter is currently running a triple crankset with a top pull FD (frame limitations), and the current pre-QS centaurs shift the chain brilliantly, so 'trim' is pretty important.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to try the Campag FD, since its bottom pull only!

n

nerdag said:
Ta for the feedback. I presume you are running a double with the QS Veloce ergos? Is the trimming available going up a gear?

The commuter is currently running a triple crankset with a top pull FD (frame limitations), and the current pre-QS centaurs shift the chain brilliantly, so 'trim' is pretty important.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to try the Campag FD, since its bottom pull only!

n
I have to agree that with a triple setup trimming up and down would make things easier.

The QS Veloces use multiple clicks to shift up. Just like the 06 models.

I am actually also contemplating using the QS shifters on my touring bike which has a triple chainring. So looking forward to your experience!

nerdag said:
Would appreciate hearing your experience alfeng. Are you planning to run it with a triple, or just a double?
Probably, a double.

But, I will test it with a triple & a Shimano front derailleur just to see what does/n't happen.

alfeng said:
Probably, a double.

But, I will test it with a triple & a Shimano front derailleur just to see what does/n't happen.
Cheers alfeng. I appreciate the feedback.

n

nerdag said:
My preliminary findiing (i.e., the critical, bottom line!) is that the 2007 Campagnolo QS front/(left) shifter does, indeed, work with a Shimano 6503 front derailleur + Ultegra 6503 crankset (where the Ultegra triple crank was installed on a 112.5mm XTR bottom bracket -- it's what I have my DA crank installed on -- almost the perfect Octalink bottom bracket if you don't have/need an Italian BB, BTW, and you don't get bent out of shape about the Q-factor being offset by an additional ~1.5mm). The actual triple crankset & BB are irrelevant to the test, of course.

I used THREE indents to move the chain up from the granny to the middle chainring & TWO indents to move the chain onto the outer ring from the middle ring.

The larger ring was an older, 52t, 8-speed 105 ring (whew -- gotta make the test tougher than with the "ideally" ramped-and-pinned chainring just to put the shifters through their paces), and the shifting was fine once I had the outer stop re-set (you would think that it would't have changed from where it was with the double OR something about the cable travel is ever so slightly different OR the crank wasn't bolted onto the spindle as far/tightly) ... but, it was only coming off a 42t middle ring that was originally on the crank instead of a 39t.

The smoothest shifting is, of course, was when the chain is on the middle cog in the rear!

The TWO downshifting indents allowed the chain to fall onto the proper ring, respectively ...

Trimming is almost as refined & can be done by up-shifting, if necessary, after dumping onto whichever smaller chainring the chain is on ...

So, I guess it actually is quicker if you don't have to move the cage back out!

The thumb shifter (both, left & right) are limited to ONE shift at a time ... the hood isn't even slotted ... cursory inspections suggests that there is a physical impediment on the shifter body which would not allow the thumb lever to move further, regardless.

The right shifter can downshift multiple cogs, still, but upshifting to smaller cogs with the thumb shifter is one cog at a time -- this is not as much of a potential handicap as it is with OTHER brands because the thumb shifter's range of motion is so short that I am sure a fairly rapid fire dumping of the cassette could be executed with a "twitchy" thumb action.

Even though my intention is to use them with a DOUBLE, I'm very pleased to find that the 2007 QS ERGO shifters will still function with some-if-not-all Shimano front derailleurs when the proper chain is used (NB. In the past, I could easily get away with a MISMATCHED front derailleur & chain -- e.g., 8-speed front derailleur & 9-speed chain); so, I think the new QS ERGO shifters will probably work with your current setup.

NB. I do NOT know how the 2007 QS innards compare with the XENON's internal mechanism -- it could be the same, it might simply be a slight modification thereof, or it might actually be a "new" design.

BTW. Due to a little laziness on my part, it took longer than necessary to rig the left-hand/front QS shifter to my Shimano 6503 (Ultegra "triple") front derailleur ...

I think it took me longer to adjust because I had to fiddle with the derailleur's stops (which means I'll have to putz with them when I restore things) ... but, if the stops are already "right" on your bike, then you will just have to tension the cable, properly.

For the most part, installation is, of course, similar to installing a regular ERGO shifter except you NEED to peel back the hood to get at the shifter's innards (vs. potentially just poking the cable through the slit in the bottom of the hood, which was not the ideal way) ...

Nontheless, I reckon that it will ALWAYS require slightly more time (for me, at least) to set up the front shifters than with a traditional 13-indent/(12-clicks) ERGO shifter AND the barrel adjuster may subsequently need to be tweaked more frequently. Maybe, not!?!

I do NOT know how the shifters will actually feel on the road ... it won't be as drastic going between a "regular" ERGO shifters & a QS shifter as it would be to go from an ERGO to a Shimano-or-SRAM shifter.

BTW2. WHETHER the QS is to mollify the newbies (AND, the long time Shimano-users, too!) who are comparing the feel of the Campagnolo shifters with Shimano's at their LBS [who subsequently think they like the lighter feel of the Shimano shifters rather than the stiffer feel of "classic" Campagnolo shifters] OR BECAUSE Campagnolo would like people like myself to stop saying that their Centaur/Veloce/Mirage shifters are functionally equivalent to the Record/Chorus shifters and it is unnecessary to spend the extra money, the final product IS physically lighter & truly does have a really light feel when there isN'T a derailleur attached to them compared with the traditional feel with which many of us are familiar ...

... The Veloce QS pair weighed about 340 grams vs. the 400+ grams for the pre-2007 model ... some of that weight is from the use of COMPOSITE material for at least ONE of the internal parts which had formerly been metal.

alfeng said:
My preliminary findiing (i.e., the critical, bottom line!) is that the 2007 Campagnolo QS front/(left) shifter does, indeed, work with a Shimano 6503 front derailleur + Ultegra 6503 crankset

<snip>

NB. I do NOT know how the 2007 QS innards compare with the XENON's internal mechanism -- it could be the same, it might simply be a slight modification thereof, or it might actually be a "new" design.
Thanks for your feedback alfeng - it sounds very promising!

As for the Xenon/Mirage/Veloce/Centaur differences, a glance of the 2007/08 Campag spare parts manuals (available on their website) gives me the impression that the only difference between the four shifters is a different brake lever blade. All the other spare parts codes for everything else (shifter assembly, body, innards etc.) are the same for those four groups.

I could be wrong, but I don't see how else to interpret it.

n