Campy centaur triple to FSA compact crank conversion

MLee388407

Guest
Hi

I posted a problem about a bike I built up a year or two ago. The bike had
fairly short chainstays and ended up being a bit too noisy when I used 42-28
combination. You could see quite a bit of chain angle in that combo. Anyways,
I saw that Tyler Hamilton used a compact double crank and I thought that could
be a way to get the chainline to improve slightly. I have a few questions that
I know the group can help me with. 1. Can my centaur triple front shifter be
used with a double crank? Im guessing yes. 2. My centaur 9 speed triple rear
derailleur can I leave it on or should I go with a centaur 9 speed double? Im
guessing leave it on since Im using a 28T cog as the largest. The centaur never
had a long cage it was always a medium right? 3. Should I change the triple
front der to double? Im guessing yes. The BB gotta be change for sure.
Am I failing to consider any other factors? This group has always been great.
Thanks in advance.

Mike

"MLee388407" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi
>
> I posted a problem about a bike I built up a year or two ago. The bike

had
> fairly short chainstays and ended up being a bit too noisy when I used

42-28
> combination. You could see quite a bit of chain angle in that combo.

Anyways,
> I saw that Tyler Hamilton used a compact double crank and I thought that

could
> be a way to get the chainline to improve slightly. I have a few questions

that
> I know the group can help me with. 1. Can my centaur triple front shifter

be
> used with a double crank? Im guessing yes. 2. My centaur 9 speed triple

rear
> derailleur can I leave it on or should I go with a centaur 9 speed double?

Im
> guessing leave it on since Im using a 28T cog as the largest. The centaur

never
> had a long cage it was always a medium right? 3. Should I change the

triple
> front der to double? Im guessing yes. The BB gotta be change for sure.
> Am I failing to consider any other factors? This group has always been

great.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Mike

A word of warning...if you have short chainstays, the FSA compact and bb is
not a great idea. I did the same conversion, and the chain line sucks. I
called FSA and all they said was that it was a problem with short stayed
bikes. I recently ordered the Campy 2005 Compact and compact specific front
derailleur so that I can use my Record BB. While my regular front
derailleur works okay (not great), the new one is supposed to shift better.

HTH,
Cat

Cat

Most of your guesses are right, but not #3...

Remember, it will cost you nothing to change nothing.

1. Campy makes only one shifter, and it works with double and triple.

2. All the "triple" RD does is wrap more chain. It adds perhaps 5
grams. See if you like how it works with the compact.

3. Read up on the Campy compact FD. There are two considerations on
their model - it has a smaller radius for the smaller big ring, and it
has the big plate on the inside to help keep the chain from falling down
to the inside. You will note that your current Racing Triple has that
same inner plate shape.

Again, switch just your crank & BB and see how the derailleurs do for you.

(I switched to a short cage RD and double FD because I had another bike
that really wanted the Racing Triple derailleurs.)

388407 wrote:
> Hi
>
> I posted a problem about a bike I built up a year or two ago. The bike had
> fairly short chainstays and ended up being a bit too noisy when I used 42-28
> combination. You could see quite a bit of chain angle in that combo. Anyways,
> I saw that Tyler Hamilton used a compact double crank and I thought that could
> be a way to get the chainline to improve slightly. I have a few questions that
> I know the group can help me with. 1. Can my centaur triple front shifter be
> used with a double crank? Im guessing yes. 2. My centaur 9 speed triple rear
> derailleur can I leave it on or should I go with a centaur 9 speed double? Im
> guessing leave it on since Im using a 28T cog as the largest. The centaur never
> had a long cage it was always a medium right? 3. Should I change the triple
> front der to double? Im guessing yes. The BB gotta be change for sure.
> Am I failing to consider any other factors? This group has always been great.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Mike

mlee-<< 1. Can my centaur triple front shifter be
used with a double crank? Im guessing yes. >><BR><BR>

Guess right, yes.

mlee-<< 2. My centaur 9 speed triple rear
derailleur can I leave it on or should I go with a centaur 9 speed double? Im
guessing leave it on since Im using a 28T cog as the largest >><BR><BR>

Leave it, the cage length is not important on a double, just ensure the chain
is the proper length. No droop in small/small, enough chain for big/big.

mlee-<< 3. Should I change the triple
front der to double? Im guessing yes. The BB gotta be change for sure.
Am I failing to consider any other factors? >><BR><BR>

Nope, Just put on the crank and BB, adjust chainlength, front der height and
limit screws, go ride.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Peter Chisholm quoted, AOL style:

> mlee-<< 1. Can my centaur triple front shifter be
> used with a double crank? Im guessing yes. >><BR><BR>

and replied:

> Guess right, yes.
>
> mlee-<< 2. My centaur 9 speed triple rear
> derailleur can I leave it on or should I go with a centaur 9 speed double? Im
> guessing leave it on since Im using a 28T cog as the largest >><BR><BR>
>
> Leave it, the cage length is not important on a double, just ensure the chain
> is the proper length. No droop in small/small, enough chain for big/big.

If that is not possible with your particular gear range/rear derailer,
opt for making it long enough to fit "big/big."

Droop in "small/small" is not important. You should never, ever ride in
that gear anyway, but even if you do the droop won't cause any serious
problem.

Sheldon "Chainline" Brown
+------------------------------------+
| Immigrants are not our burden, |
| They are our wealth --Jane Adams |
+------------------------------------+
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

>From: "Cat Dailey" [email protected]

>A word of warning...if you have short chainstays, the FSA compact and bb is
>not a great idea. I did the same conversion, and the chain line sucks. I
>called FSA and all they said was that it was a problem with short stayed
>bikes. I recently ordered the Campy 2005 Compact and compact specific front
>derailleur so that I can use my Record BB. While my regular front
>derailleur works okay (not great), the new one is supposed to shift better.
>
>HTH,
>Cat

------
Hi Cat
How short are your chainstays? Does the campy improve the chainline over the
fsa? Isnt the campy compact 10 speed only and 9 speed components are non
compatible? thanks for the reply

Mike

"MLee388407" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >From: "Cat Dailey" [email protected]

> >A word of warning...if you have short chainstays, the FSA compact and bb

is
> >not a great idea. I did the same conversion, and the chain line sucks.

> >called FSA and all they said was that it was a problem with short stayed
> >bikes. I recently ordered the Campy 2005 Compact and compact specific

front
> >derailleur so that I can use my Record BB. While my regular front
> >derailleur works okay (not great), the new one is supposed to shift

better.

> >HTH,
> >Cat

> ------
> Hi Cat
> How short are your chainstays? Does the campy improve the chainline over

the
> fsa? Isnt the campy compact 10 speed only and 9 speed components are non
> compatible? thanks for the reply
>
> Mike

Pretty short as I have a cut out in the seat tube to put the rear wheel in
even tighter to the frame. I suspect that the campy compact might be 10
speed only, but Peter would know the answer to that question.

Cat

>From: "Cat Dailey" [email protected]

>Pretty short as I have a cut out in the seat tube to put the rear wheel in
>even tighter to the frame. I suspect that the campy compact might be 10
>speed only, but Peter would know the answer to that question.
>
>Cat

-------

Yeah thats short....mine is nowhere that close. I hate to trouble you but can
you tell me how short in inches or cm? thanks

Mike

cat-<< I suspect that the campy compact might be 10
speed only, but Peter would know the answer to that question. >><BR><BR>

Nope. Altho the big ring is a wee bit closer to the small ring, it'll work with
any Campagnolo system. 7s thru 10s, friction thru ergo.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

"MLee388407" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >From: "Cat Dailey" [email protected]

> >Pretty short as I have a cut out in the seat tube to put the rear wheel

in
> >even tighter to the frame. I suspect that the campy compact might be 10
> >speed only, but Peter would know the answer to that question.
> >
> >Cat
> >

> -------
>
> Yeah thats short....mine is nowhere that close. I hate to trouble you but

can
> you tell me how short in inches or cm? thanks
>
> Mike

I'm not sure what the appropriate points are, but the distance from the
center of the BB spindle to the center of the rear dropout (the center of
the rear quick release) is 40 cm. The whole bike from front wheel to rear
wheel quick releases is only 96.5 cm, which is shorter than my other bikes
(typically around 98 cm).

Does that make sense/help you out any?

Cat

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> cat-<< I suspect that the campy compact might be 10
> speed only, but Peter would know the answer to that question. >><BR><BR>
>
> Nope. Altho the big ring is a wee bit closer to the small ring, it'll work with
> any Campagnolo system. 7s thru 10s, friction thru ergo.

So the crank can be used with 7/8 speed chain? (Obviously 9 and 10 speed
chain can be used on 5, 6, 7 and 8 speed systems.)

--
Tom Sherman

Tom-<< So the crank can be used with 7/8 speed chain? (Obviously 9 and 10 speed

chain can be used on 5, 6, 7 and 8 speed systems.) >><BR><BR>

Yes. The big ring is closer to the small but the width of the rings is the
same, has been for years.

I have used a SuperRecord crank and front der with a 10s ERGO.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

>From: "Cat Dailey" [email protected]

>I'm not sure what the appropriate points are, but the distance from the
>center of the BB spindle to the center of the rear dropout (the center of
>the rear quick release) is 40 cm. The whole bike from front wheel to rear
>wheel quick releases is only 96.5 cm, which is shorter than my other bikes
>(typically around 98 cm).
>
>Does that make sense/help you out any?
>
>Cat

--------

Thanks Cat

I measure 41.25 cm. Im probably going with a race face signature BB with the
adjustable chainline with the fsa energy compact isis. I guess with this combo
Ill have some room to finetune.

Mike