Campy Chain Wear Question

goldmine848

Guest
I recently upgrade to campy 10 speed. I am using a Veloce chain. I
have about 2700 miles on the chain and the Park CC-2 chain checker
still only shows wear of .50. I did not have the chain checker when I
first installed the chain so I am not sure what the reading was
initially. At this rate I will get considerably more use out of this
chain than expected. I hate to change the chain unnecessarily since
they are not cheap, but I also would hate to trash the cassette since
they are even more expensvie. I have been careful to keep the chain
clean and avoid cross-chaining. Is what I am experiencing normal?

goldmine848 wrote:
> I recently upgrade to campy 10 speed. I am using a Veloce chain. I
> have about 2700 miles on the chain and the Park CC-2 chain checker
> still only shows wear of .50. I did not have the chain checker when I
> first installed the chain so I am not sure what the reading was
> initially. At this rate I will get considerably more use out of this
> chain than expected. I hate to change the chain unnecessarily since
> they are not cheap, but I also would hate to trash the cassette since
> they are even more expensvie. I have been careful to keep the chain
> clean and avoid cross-chaining. Is what I am experiencing normal?

I have very very good experience with Campy C10 and the Narrow chains.
If you want to know the relative wear buy a new one (you have to
eventually) and hang them next to each other from the ceiling.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

On Sep 14, 9:21 am, goldmine848 <[email protected]> wrote:
>Is what I am experiencing normal?

Sure, if you kept the thing clean, that's normal. I usually kill a
chain in 2,500 miles--but I never clean them short of wiping the crud
off the outside.

In article
<[email protected]>,
goldmine848 <[email protected]> wrote:

> I recently upgrade to campy 10 speed. I am using a Veloce chain. I
> have about 2700 miles on the chain and the Park CC-2 chain checker
> still only shows wear of .50. I did not have the chain checker when I
> first installed the chain so I am not sure what the reading was
> initially. At this rate I will get considerably more use out of this
> chain than expected. I hate to change the chain unnecessarily since
> they are not cheap, but I also would hate to trash the cassette since
> they are even more expensvie. I have been careful to keep the chain
> clean and avoid cross-chaining. Is what I am experiencing normal?

You want to know more about your chain so make a second
measurement with a different tool. Take a scale marked
with inches and align one end with a pin on the chain.
Observe the length of 24 pins from the first. If the
twenty-fourth pin is at 12" 1/8 or more the chain is
out of specification and should be replaced.

--
Michael Press

goldmine848 wrote:
> I recently upgrade to campy 10 speed. I am using a Veloce chain. I
> have about 2700 miles on the chain and the Park CC-2 chain checker
> still only shows wear of .50. I did not have the chain checker when I
> first installed the chain so I am not sure what the reading was
> initially. At this rate I will get considerably more use out of this
> chain than expected. I hate to change the chain unnecessarily since
> they are not cheap, but I also would hate to trash the cassette since
> they are even more expensvie. I have been careful to keep the chain
> clean and avoid cross-chaining. Is what I am experiencing normal?

I've told the tale here before, but I'm riding two bikes currently, both
Campy Record equipped. The older one has over 20,000 km on the chain
and cassette. The newer one is at 9,600 km and going strong on the
original chain and cassette.

I ride the bikes roughly an equal amount, and I clean the drivetrain
about every two to three weeks. I spray Simple Green on the chain,
cassette, and chainrings, rinse off the bike, wash a little bit with car
washing detergent, rinse again, dry, then apply Pedro's Ice Wax and wipe
down the chain.

The lube doesn't seem to attract much dirt - the paper towel I wipe with
stays pretty much gray, not black.

I'm to the point of seeing how long these pieces can go. I have a new
cassette and chain sitting in their boxes, waiting to be put to work, so
it won't be very costly to get the "maximum use" answer - I've already
spent the parts money, and just have to pay the labor for installation.

On 2007-09-14, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
><[email protected]>,
> goldmine848 <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I recently upgrade to campy 10 speed. I am using a Veloce chain. I
>> have about 2700 miles on the chain and the Park CC-2 chain checker
>> still only shows wear of .50. I did not have the chain checker when I
>> first installed the chain so I am not sure what the reading was
>> initially. At this rate I will get considerably more use out of this
>> chain than expected. I hate to change the chain unnecessarily since
>> they are not cheap, but I also would hate to trash the cassette since
>> they are even more expensvie. I have been careful to keep the chain
>> clean and avoid cross-chaining. Is what I am experiencing normal?

> You want to know more about your chain so make a second
> measurement with a different tool. Take a scale marked
> with inches and align one end with a pin on the chain.
> Observe the length of 24 pins from the first. If the
> twenty-fourth pin is at 12" 1/8 or more the chain is
> out of specification and should be replaced.

Don't they say replace at 12 1/16"?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html:

# If the rivet is less than 1/16" past the mark, all is well.

# If the rivet is 1/16" past the mark, you should replace the chain,
# but the sprockets are probably undamaged.

# If the rivet is 1/8" past the mark, you have left it too long, and
# the sprockets (at least the favorite ones) will be too badly worn.
# If you replace a chain at the 1/8" point, without replacing the
# sprockets, it may run OK and not skip, but the worn sprockets will
# cause the new chain to wear much faster than it should, until it
# catches up with the wear state of the sprockets.

# If the rivet is past the 1/8" mark, a new chain will almost
# certainly skip on the worn sprockets, especially the smaller ones.

On Sep 14, 8:21 am, goldmine848 <[email protected]> wrote:
> I recently upgrade to campy 10 speed. I am using a Veloce chain. I
> have about 2700 miles on the chain and the Park CC-2 chain checker
> still only shows wear of .50. I did not have the chain checker when I
> first installed the chain so I am not sure what the reading was
> initially. At this rate I will get considerably more use out of this
> chain than expected. I hate to change the chain unnecessarily since
> they are not cheap, but I also would hate to trash the cassette since
> they are even more expensvie. I have been careful to keep the chain
> clean and avoid cross-chaining. Is what I am experiencing normal?

Yes..we have a few customers who have seen this and a wee bit more
milage. Cleanliness, not cross chaining, etc..and these will last for
a while. 10s chain lack of longevity is a myth. PLUS least expensive
compatible chain is the way to go.

In article
<[email protected]>,
Ben C <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 2007-09-14, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article
> ><[email protected]>,
> > goldmine848 <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> I recently upgrade to campy 10 speed. I am using a Veloce chain. I
> >> have about 2700 miles on the chain and the Park CC-2 chain checker
> >> still only shows wear of .50. I did not have the chain checker when I
> >> first installed the chain so I am not sure what the reading was
> >> initially. At this rate I will get considerably more use out of this
> >> chain than expected. I hate to change the chain unnecessarily since
> >> they are not cheap, but I also would hate to trash the cassette since
> >> they are even more expensvie. I have been careful to keep the chain
> >> clean and avoid cross-chaining. Is what I am experiencing normal?

> > You want to know more about your chain so make a second
> > measurement with a different tool. Take a scale marked
> > with inches and align one end with a pin on the chain.
> > Observe the length of 24 pins from the first. If the
> > twenty-fourth pin is at 12" 1/8 or more the chain is
> > out of specification and should be replaced.

> Don't they say replace at 12 1/16"?

Yes, I got it wrong. Thanks.

On Sep 14, 6:51 pm, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
> goldmine848 wrote:
> > I recently upgrade to campy 10 speed. I am using a Veloce chain. I
> > have about 2700 miles on the chain and the Park CC-2 chain checker
> > still only shows wear of .50. I did not have the chain checker when I
> > first installed the chain so I am not sure what the reading was
> > initially. At this rate I will get considerably more use out of this
> > chain than expected. I hate to change the chain unnecessarily since
> > they are not cheap, but I also would hate to trash the cassette since
> > they are even more expensvie. I have been careful to keep the chain
> > clean and avoid cross-chaining. Is what I am experiencing normal?

> I've told the tale here before, but I'm riding two bikes currently, both
> Campy Record equipped. The older one has over 20,000 km on the chain
> and cassette. The newer one is at 9,600 km and going strong on the
> original chain and cassette.

I think if you leave the same chain and cassette combination together,
they will run together almost forever. Almost. But the more they
wear each other out and change shape, the more they will start ruining
the chainrings. So when you do finally replace the chain and
cassette, you will also need to replace the chainrings because the
chainrings will not work with the new chain.