Campy chainrings or crankset upgrade question

R

Richard

Good Day

I have the Veloce cranks with stamped chainrings, 9 speed. I am interested in upgrading just the
chainrings, though they are not even too worn, I just want to get it over with before the high
mileage better weather days (I live in the northeast)

I see that Campy, FSA, and Salsa make chainrings for 135mm BCD.

I seek recommendations from the group, including the option of going for the whole Campy "racing-T"
crankset, a few of which are still available NOS for, say, ~$117

Thanks very much if you have a hunch on this,

Richard

chad AT alumni DOT unh DOT edu

Richard wrote:
> Good Day
>
>
> I have the Veloce cranks with stamped chainrings, 9 speed. I am interested in upgrading just the
> chainrings, though they are not even too worn, I just want to get it over with before the high
> mileage better weather days (I live in the northeast)
>
> I see that Campy, FSA, and Salsa make chainrings for 135mm BCD.
>
> I seek recommendations from the group, including the option of going for the whole Campy "racing-
> T" crankset, a few of which are still available NOS for, say, ~$117
>
>
> Thanks very much if you have a hunch on this,
>
>
>
> Richard
>
>
>
> chad AT alumni DOT unh DOT edu
>
>
Best deal in my opinion is the Centaur triple.

Kenny Lee

Richard wrote:
> Good Day

Good morning.

> I have the Veloce cranks with stamped chainrings, 9 speed. I am interested in upgrading just the
> chainrings, though they are not even too worn, I just want to get it over with before the high
> mileage better weather days (I live in the northeast)
>
> I see that Campy, FSA, and Salsa make chainrings for 135mm BCD.

Specialites TA also make them - better than Chorus, IMO, and available in more sizes.

> I seek recommendations from the group, including the option of going for the whole Campy "racing-
> T" crankset, a few of which are still available NOS for, say, ~$117

From what I managed to research when choosing my cranks, Mirage, Veloce, Centaur and Racing T triple
crank arms are all the same except for finish (and that varies from year to year) so you'd only
really be getting better rings if upgrading unless going up to Chorus or Record.

~PB

Richard-<< I have the Veloce cranks with stamped chainrings, 9 speed. I am interested in upgrading
just the chainrings, though they are not even too worn, I just want to get it over with before the
high mileage better weather days >><BR><BR>

Campagnolo and TA rings are the ones I suggest. As for a triple, great idea altho you need a new
front der, ideally rear der, perhaps BB for it. Another option is the aluminum compact crank from
FSA-$160, $200 with a ISIS BB. Also a great idea.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Richard <[email protected]> writes:

>Good Day

>I have the Veloce cranks with stamped chainrings, 9 speed. I am interested in upgrading just the
>chainrings, though they are not even too worn, I just want to get it over with before the high
>mileage better weather days (I live in the northeast)

>I see that Campy, FSA, and Salsa make chainrings for 135mm BCD.

Among these three choices, I would recommend T.A. :) :)

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/chainrings.asp

- Don Gillies San Diego, CA

You can get a 2003 Chorus crankset at many shops in the $120 to $130 range. This would require a new
bottom bracket (extra $$$), however, you would have a stiffer crankset because the rings and BB are
stiffer. And the 2003 Chorus is still the most beautiful crank, imho.

- Don

Thanks so much for all your feedback! I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I already have a 30-42-52
triple, so I won't need the new der.'s or BB. This is also the reason that the Racing-T crankset may
be a natural.

BTW, unlike so many others, I came to Campagnolo gear late in the game, having used Shimano for some
time. In 2001, I was traveling on business, and met a bike nut who had an nice Bianchi/Athena rig in
addition to his stunning Independent Fab/Record. One very fast afternoon later, I was hooked. I now
live in an absurdly hilly area, hence my first triple.

I want to give a round of applause for Ergopower; people told me I would never want to, or couldn't
switch from STI. I has been no problem. STI is fine, but can be tough to differentiate with thicker
gloves - I know this has been observed before. I also like the overhaul capabilities of Ergo.

Thanks again for pointing out Specialites TA, especially, as I had only seen vintage stuff
from them.

best

Richard

chad AT alumni DOT unh DOT edu

Richard wrote:
> Thanks so much for all your feedback! I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I already have a 30-42-52
> triple, so I won't need the new der.'s or BB. This is also the reason that the Racing-T crankset
> may be a natural.
>

Actually, I think you will. As I understand it, the Veloce/Centaur BB is different from the Racing-T
and Chorus/Record BB. The shape of the arms are different, which means a diffenrent q-factor is
necessary. The derailleur is probably fine.

Rob Strickland

Robert Strickland wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>> Thanks so much for all your feedback! I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I already have a 30-42-
>> 52 triple, so I won't need the new der.'s or BB. This is also the reason that the Racing-T
>> crankset may be a natural.
>
> Actually, I think you will. As I understand it, the Veloce/Centaur BB is different from the Racing-
> T and Chorus/Record BB. The shape of the arms are different, which means a diffenrent q-factor is
> necessary.

Finish is the only variation between Racing T, Centaur, Veloce and Mirage triple cranks. Chainrings
are different, though. Chorus is where the different crank shape and BB starts.

By the way, can anyone confirm that Xenon crank arms are different to Mirage? I've heard that they
have more material and are made by Miche but I'm not sure that's true.

~PB