Campy Chorus/Record Freehub Axle interchangeable??

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tnark, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Tnark

Tnark New Member

Can anybody confirm whether a 94-96 Record/Chorus rear hub axle is interchangeable with the earlier similar design Record/Chorus axle?

I recently bought a wheelset with a 93 vintage Chorus rear hub. The rear axle cone is shot and needs replacing. On this hub, the axle cone is part of the axle itself, part number FH-RE001 ie I need to replace the whole axle! Stupid design, Campy changed this approach on the 94-96 Record/Chorus hubset, with a cone that slides onto the axle, Axle part Number is FH-RE101 with cone FH-RE110. I need to know whether this combo can replace the original axle set. Drawings on the Campy website show them looking the same.

Tags:

2. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

I'm thinking that cone from the older hub can be tapped off and replaced BUT to answer your question, yes the axle from the later Record/Chorus hubs will work. Have you tried to tap it off. Put the axle in a vice weith the shoulder of the cone hanging over the edges and gently tap it?

3. Tnark

Tnark New Member

Yep, it did come off! Thanks for the suggestion. At first inspection it did not look removable.

Bought a new cone, all running well now.