Campy Chorus vs Dura-Ace

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by cw2864, Oct 29, 2006.

1. cw2864

cw2864 New Member

I'm looking at a new bike (BMC SLT-01) and have been offered either Dura-Ace or Campy Chorus for about the same price- Ultegra for about $600 less. Although the Chorus is Campy's 2nd tier while Dura-Ace is Shimano's top unit, some reviews rate them about the same. Anybody ever ridden both and have suggestions? Is the jump in price above Ultegra worth it? I want to get the bike set up so I'm not staring wistfully at the dispaly cabinet later...

Tags:

2. rudycyclist

rudycyclist New Member

Tough choice. I ride Chorus and am fully satisfied with it. It has done everything I have ever wanted. D/A is nice but performance wise it's about the same as Ultegra. Most people will agree that the only difference between Ultegra and d/a is weight.

Another thing to throw into the equation is what do your friends/teammates ride? I'd go with whatever they ride mostly. This way if a wheel breaks or fails or you just want to use a different wheel, you can use theirs. I would have gotten Ultegra but my entire team is on Campy. I hadn't ridden Campy before they gave me my bike and I will never go back to Shimano. Probably the thing I love most about it is the stationary brake lever. Once I had ridden both, I realized how much I hated the brake lever being used as a shifter too.

As for looks, they both look super sexy. d/a is silver and just has a real sleek look to it. Whereas Chorus is carbon. How can a cyclist say carbon shifters and carbon ders is not hot? Tough choice but I'd have to go with Chorus. It's also more sturdy as many will also tell you. It will last you much longer than d/a will and it's rebuildable.

3. carbonguru

carbonguru New Member

CW this is a really a matter of preference on a series of different levels. For me, I'm a CAMPY die hard. I have ridden and raced DA, but felt like I never could get 100% comfortable in the hoods. For me the Campy Hoods cradle my hands in a way that DA has never been able to do.

Shifting preference is a big factor too. I like Campy's Trigger Shifting. I spend a lot of my riding time on the hoods, so being able to throw my gears up with the flick of the lever or down quickly with a shot from my thumb without the chance of a mishift in the heat of a race is comforting. I seemed to mishift at most inopportune time when I raced with DA. I never got over it.

Quality and longevity is a subject to address. We all know that Shimano wears out. When the levers are toast you need to replace the whole unit. With Campy, you have the ability to rebuild your lever and shifting mechanisms. I like this feature. I have only done it once and it is really not that bad with the right tools and parts.

For me, I would go with Chorus. Especially is it comes with the new 2007 Ultra Torque Cranks. This feature is amazing.

4. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

Chorus will outlast the DA. A 2007 Chorus is a 2005 Record.

5. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

hd, just curious as to how you can make the statement that Chorus will outlast DA. Are you talking about the shifters, derailleurs, crank or cassettes? Have you seen any actual data on a large sample, or is your statement based on experience on your own bikes or of people you ride with?

I've got a DA 9 sp set up on my current bike (except for the crank), and it shows no signs of failure yet at 12K miles. I had to replace the DA cassette at 10K miles when I put on the second replacement chain, but was told that was decent life for a cassette. I probably shift 5-10 times/ mile currently, about twice as often on the RD as the FD. Is there some point where the STI shifters will wearout, ie, after 100,000 shifts, or will something else break first?

6. cw2864

cw2864 New Member

Thanks all- I will think this over. My preference was towards the Chorus, I think this will confirm it.

7. PeterF

PeterF New Member

Chorus is really only "2nd tier" due to the use of stainless and alloy hardware compared to ti hardware (alloy hardware on the chainrings) that Record uses. Record uses a little more carbon throughout the group as well, but performance wise they are really the same. DA has always been a step up from Ultegra (although the gap is shrinking with the 10 speed stuff). I'm a Campy guy myself, but it's really a matter of preference. You can't go wrong with either. IMHO that frame is just screaming "Record"...

8. cw2864

cw2864 New Member

I know...but will probably have to sell one of my kidneys just to get this. I want a bike that I will be happy with for a long time, and not looking at what I might have, or should have gotten- but have to draw the line somewhere. Thanks for the info on Ultegra/DA.

9. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

To be specific, its the shifters and talking from experience (my own and riding friends - long story). All else cannot be faulted specially the hollowtech cranks and BB outboard bearings which I think is friendlier to the bearings (FSA has improved this design further BTW).

FWIW, the observation is also reflected by custom bike builder (Eisentraut) who specify fitting with campy for durability and shimano for price.

10. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

07 chorus is completely different to 05 record, and 06 record. They compeltely redesigned. 07 Chorus is better than 05 record.

11. carbonguru

carbonguru New Member

The 2007 Record Group I have on my current bike is FAR SUPERIOR to the 2005 and 2006 Groups I have had in the past. Campy really did their design homework with this release. I just hope that they can get more groups here to America. Not many have a complete 2007 Group in stock.

12. johncc48

johncc48 New Member

I have 05 Record and have had the RD shifter wear out. NICE thing is that I had it rebuilt for $40 at my LBS. Depending on how often you shift (and many other issues) the option to rebuild the shifter is important to me. The Shimanos are throwaways!

13. carbonguru

carbonguru New Member

A perfect example of Campy's ease of maintenence. I am surprised they wore out so soon, but I guess you shift a lot.

14. mrklein

mrklein New Member

I ride Dura Ace and have been happy with it but a friend got the 06 Chorus and it looks great and when I rode it I was impressed. I wore out a Dura Ace lever after about 8 years. Some people have rebuilt them but Shimano doesn't sell the parts that I know about. I would get the Campy because it seems a bit more unusual and it has that cool Euro style. Either will work well so I'd go with the one you like the look of. My next group will be Campy; I rode it for many years and just long for their look and style again nothing against the dura Ace. Since I am rambling here, I bought a Dura Ace crank in 1974. A Shimano rep (younger guy) told me there was no such thing! Except for the one hanging over there on my old bike. The first Dura Ace brakes were center pull and had SAFETY LEVERS!! How times change!

15. MidBunchLurker

MidBunchLurker New Member

My DA 9speed gruppo has more than 20,000 miles on it, training & racing, rain & shine. No shifting probs and not expecting to throw any shifters away just yet. Only things that have been replaced are cassettes and chains (obviously), my 42 chainring and the b/b.

Having said that though, I'd choose Chorus '07 over DA, just cos those DA 10-speed hoods don't work for my hands, and they look plain ugly.

16. mrklein

mrklein New Member

My Dur Ace has been good too. I didn't mention that is the 9 not the new 10 speed. Speaking of ugly, I don't like the new style Dura Ace crank. I bet it works fine but the Campy or FSA carbon are so much better looking.

17. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Someone once described the DA crank to me as the "flying scrotum crank."

18. mrklein

mrklein New Member

That is the only way I will refer to it from now on, except in polite company when I will stick to calling it a turd which btw cannot be polished!

19. sideshow_bob

sideshow_bob New Member

To each their own. iI ride 2006 Chorus (alloy) which i love. However I quite like the very chunky industrial look of the new DA and Ultegra cranks. I'm actually in the process of ordering an Ultegra group for a training bike I'm building.

--brett

20. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

I personally think that term would be much better suited to claviculas, but they are a nicer crank.