Campy Chorus vs Dura-Ace

sideshow_bob said:
To each their own. iI ride 2006 Chorus (alloy) which i love. However I quite like the very chunky industrial look of the new DA and Ultegra cranks. I'm actually in the process of ordering an Ultegra group for a training bike I'm building.
Why would you want to run both Campag and Shimano in the same stable? Wouldn't that mean you won't be able to share parts b/n your bikes?

i've owned campy since 1972...gran sport...record...c-record...chorus...cobalto...victory...triomphe...valentino...croce d'aune...i've run a lot of campy.

i just spent the last 5000 miles on '06 chorus and it's as good or better than any campy i've run in the past.

it shows very little wear. the shifters are still as crisp as the first ride and i shift a lot in the constant up & down terrain i live in.

dura-ace has always been darn nice equipment, but i gotta say that other than not having the ultimate campy surface finish the chorus components are beyond reproach.

i still haven't figured out what frame i'm going to build up for 2007, but i already know what gruppo will be hanging off it...CHORUS!

hd reynolds said:
To be specific, its the shifters and talking from experience (my own and riding friends - long story). All else cannot be faulted specially the hollowtech cranks and BB outboard bearings which I think is friendlier to the bearings (FSA has improved this design further BTW).

FWIW, the observation is also reflected by custom bike builder (Eisentraut) who specify fitting with campy for durability and shimano for price.

Thanks for info. Yes, thought the shifters would be the main wearout issue. If I can get another 2-3 years and 10K miles on them, I'll be happy.

FYI, asked my custom builder here in late '03 for advise on selection of DA 9 sp vs Chorus 10 sp triples. He said either one would be great, choice was strictly my personal preference. Prices were about the same then, since I went with an FSA Team Carbon crank.

sogood said:
Why would you want to run both Campag and Shimano in the same stable? Wouldn't that mean you won't be able to share parts b/n your bikes?

I've got enough Campy laying around that I can interchange parts anyway on my race bike. But ultimately the only thing I've ever historically interchanged are pedals and wheels. Pedals won't be a drama, which leaves wheels/clusters.

There are two reasons to interchange wheels.

1) You want some property in them in a race (ie an aero set or light set etc)
2) You've broken a spoke etc

As it is I've got a couple sets of Campy wheels already and will buy a set of Neutrons before the end of the year. I've already bought Neuvations for the training bike (a Cervelo Soloist), and may get an aero set down the track for the odd race.

So by and large it doesn't matter too much to me presently. On the upside it gives me an option when a friend might invite me to ride on their wheels to check them out or I screw a chain and the LBS doesn't have a campy part on the shelf etc etc.

--brett

Bro Deal said:
Someone once described the DA crank to me as the "flying scrotum crank."
Come to think of it, yeah it does look like a scrotum (viewed from below) with high lying testicles.:eek: :D

dhk2 said:
Thanks for info. Yes, thought the shifters would be the main wearout issue. If I can get another 2-3 years and 10K miles on them, I'll be happy.

FYI, asked my custom builder here in late '03 for advise on selection of DA 9 sp vs Chorus 10 sp triples. He said either one would be great, choice was strictly my personal preference. Prices were about the same then, since I went with an FSA Team Carbon crank.
I also use an FSA Team SL carbon crank on my Record equipped ride.. it looks the part too than a Record circa '03. Had issues on the ti BB (Real Design titanium 103mm).

johncc48 said:
I have 05 Record and have had the RD shifter wear out. NICE thing is that I had it rebuilt for $40 at my LBS. Depending on how often you shift (and many other issues) the option to rebuild the shifter is important to me. The Shimanos are throwaways!
same thing with my centaur. Don't think I would ever go back to shimano, only up to chorus or record.