Campy compact crankset compatibility

Chuck731

Nov 15, 2005
I normally ride in California's dead flat central valley, so I use 53/39 on both of my bikes. But this year I am looking to ride some double centuries in more mountainous regions. I was wondering if Campy's compact cranksets from lower gruppos are compatible with normal record bottom bracket and front derailleur? If so, it would be an economic way of changing the ratios to suite the mountains.

Chuck731 said:
I normally ride in California's dead flat central valley, so I use 53/39 on both of my bikes. But this year I am looking to ride some double centuries in more mountainous regions. I was wondering if Campy's compact cranksets from lower gruppos are compatible with normal record bottom bracket and front derailleur? If so, it would be an economic way of changing the ratios to suite the mountains.

The cheaper Campy compacts (mirage/Veloce/Centaur) fit the Centaur/Veloce BB which is a 111mm symmetric and will NOT provide the proper chainline with the 102mm BB that the Record and Chorus standard and compact double cranksets use. The Veloce BB can be obtained for less than $30 so it isn't that big of an expense, but does have the hassle of changing out the BB.

Although Campy recommends use of their compact FD, the regular one should work fine.