Campy Compact FD

ADA23

Aug 10, 2005
Do I "need" a different FD for a 50/34 Campy compact crankset or will my current 53/39 FD do the job?

It really depends on your setup. I find that I need a compact specific derailleur. It helps for me.

free_rideman said:
It really depends on your setup. I find that I need a compact specific derailleur. It helps for me.
Thanks, but will my current FD still work and if so will it work ok or annoy th @#$%^& out of me?

ADA23 said:
Thanks, but will my current FD still work and if so will it work ok or annoy th @#$%^& out of me?

You need to try it. Freeride is correct in that it depends on several factors. What brand of FD and crankset and chain are you talking about? It also depends on what your annoyance threshold is.

ADA23 said:
Do I "need" a different FD for a 50/34 Campy compact crankset or will my current 53/39 FD do the job?

Regardless if you have a brazed-on or clamped-on set up, you will need a compact-specific FD with a 50/34 combo. Altho it is still the same 4T difference as the 53/39, the compact vertical distance between teeth of the two chainrings is about 15% more (a 50/36T will be about the same vert distance as a 53/39).