Campy Compact Report

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Cat Dailey, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. Cat Dailey

    Cat Dailey Guest

    For those of you who are interested in how the Campy Record Compact with
    compact front derailleur works:

    I had an FSA bottom bracket and FSA compact crank with regular Record front
    derailleur. As many others here experienced, the chain would often drop off
    to the inside, despite many, many adjustments. Also, I could not use the
    34-23 combination without having bad chainrub. FSA told me that my short
    chainstays were to blame for the crappy chainline and that they didn't have
    a solution.

    I put on the new Record compact crank (34-50), bottom bracket, and compact
    specific front derailleur. VOILA! Great chainline, perfect shifting across
    all the gears without chainrub anywhere (even cross-chained), and I CANNOT
    get the darned chain to fall off (I am curious to know if you can pick it
    back up with the front derailleur, since I couldn't with the FSA setup...I'd
    have to get off of the bike to do it).

    While I think the FSA carbon crank is more aesthetically pleasing than the
    Record one, I just had to have better performance.

    Cat
    who is thrilled that it was SIXTY DEGREES near Philly today after having
    ridden tow or three times in the twenties in the last week ;>

    Tags:

  2. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 20:51:01 -0500, "Cat Dailey"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I put on the new Record compact crank (34-50), bottom bracket, and compact
    >specific front derailleur. VOILA! Great chainline, perfect shifting across
    >all the gears without chainrub anywhere (even cross-chained), and I CANNOT
    >get the darned chain to fall off (I am curious to know if you can pick it
    >back up with the front derailleur, since I couldn't with the FSA setup...I'd
    >have to get off of the bike to do it).

    I'd like to guess that if you took the Campy 50t ring and put it on
    the FSA cranks, that the chain would not drop either. I don't think
    that the front derailleur would pick up the dropped chain either.
    That's easy enough to test.

    I'm guessing that the placement and length of the shift pins on the
    FSA ring are the culprit in both the ring being rubbed when crossed
    with the small ring and hanging onto the chain for a fraction of a
    second too long.

  3. Cat Dailey

    Cat Dailey Guest

    "Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 20:51:01 -0500, "Cat Dailey"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I put on the new Record compact crank (34-50), bottom bracket, and

    compact
    > >specific front derailleur. VOILA! Great chainline, perfect shifting

    across
    > >all the gears without chainrub anywhere (even cross-chained), and I

    CANNOT
    > >get the darned chain to fall off (I am curious to know if you can pick it
    > >back up with the front derailleur, since I couldn't with the FSA

    setup...I'd
    > >have to get off of the bike to do it).

    > I'd like to guess that if you took the Campy 50t ring and put it on
    > the FSA cranks, that the chain would not drop either. I don't think
    > that the front derailleur would pick up the dropped chain either.
    > That's easy enough to test.
    >
    > I'm guessing that the placement and length of the shift pins on the
    > FSA ring are the culprit in both the ring being rubbed when crossed
    > with the small ring and hanging onto the chain for a fraction of a
    > second too long.

    Nope, it was the chainline. FSA acknowledged as much and said it was "a
    problem" with short chainstay bikes like mine. For some reason, the drive
    side crank sits too far away from the bb.

    Cat

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Cat Dailey wrote:

    > For those of you who are interested in how the Campy Record Compact
    > with compact front derailleur works:
    >
    > I had an FSA bottom bracket and FSA compact crank with regular Record
    > front derailleur. As many others here experienced, the chain would
    > often drop off to the inside, despite many, many adjustments. Also,
    > I could not use the 34-23 combination without having bad chainrub.
    > FSA told me that my short chainstays were to blame for the crappy
    > chainline and that they didn't have a solution.
    >
    > I put on the new Record compact crank (34-50), bottom bracket, and
    > compact specific front derailleur. VOILA! Great chainline, perfect
    > shifting across all the gears without chainrub anywhere (even
    > cross-chained), and I CANNOT get the darned chain to fall off (I am
    > curious to know if you can pick it back up with the front derailleur,
    > since I couldn't with the FSA setup...I'd have to get off of the bike
    > to do it).
    >
    > While I think the FSA carbon crank is more aesthetically pleasing
    > than the Record one, I just had to have better performance.

    I wonder if there's a difference in chainline between these two setups. Have
    you measured it? Perhaps the FSA would have worked better with a different BB,
    giving the same chainline as the Campy.

    Matt O.

  5. Cat Dailey

    Cat Dailey Guest

    > Cat Dailey wrote:
    >
    > > For those of you who are interested in how the Campy Record Compact
    > > with compact front derailleur works:
    > >
    > > I had an FSA bottom bracket and FSA compact crank with regular Record
    > > front derailleur. As many others here experienced, the chain would
    > > often drop off to the inside, despite many, many adjustments. Also,
    > > I could not use the 34-23 combination without having bad chainrub.
    > > FSA told me that my short chainstays were to blame for the crappy
    > > chainline and that they didn't have a solution.
    > >
    > > I put on the new Record compact crank (34-50), bottom bracket, and
    > > compact specific front derailleur. VOILA! Great chainline, perfect
    > > shifting across all the gears without chainrub anywhere (even
    > > cross-chained), and I CANNOT get the darned chain to fall off (I am
    > > curious to know if you can pick it back up with the front derailleur,
    > > since I couldn't with the FSA setup...I'd have to get off of the bike
    > > to do it).
    > >
    > > While I think the FSA carbon crank is more aesthetically pleasing
    > > than the Record one, I just had to have better performance.

    > I wonder if there's a difference in chainline between these two setups.

    Have
    > you measured it? Perhaps the FSA would have worked better with a

    different BB,
    > giving the same chainline as the Campy.
    >
    > Matt O.

    Maybe, but I used the FSA bb that was supposed to go with the FSA crank.
    Some people have suggested that the chainline is supposed to be identical,
    but even I could see that the drive side crank sat further away from the
    frame on the FSA cranks than the campy cranks.

    Cat

  6. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Cat Dailey wrote:

    > Maybe, but I used the FSA bb that was supposed to go with the FSA
    > crank. Some people have suggested that the chainline is supposed to
    > be identical, but even I could see that the drive side crank sat
    > further away from the frame on the FSA cranks than the campy cranks.

    So they're trying to blame it on your frame, when they've moved the chainline
    further out. They need to revise their BB axle length. Their fault.

    Matt O.

  7. Matt O'Toole wrote:
    > Cat Dailey wrote:
    >
    > > Maybe, but I used the FSA bb that was supposed to go with the FSA
    > > crank. Some people have suggested that the chainline is supposed to
    > > be identical, but even I could see that the drive side crank sat
    > > further away from the frame on the FSA cranks than the campy

    cranks.

    > So they're trying to blame it on your frame, when they've moved the

    chainline
    > further out. They need to revise their BB axle length. Their fault.
    >
    > Matt O.

    I'm pretty sure that the FSA cranks mentioned by Cat are designed
    around the ISIS standard - 108mm BB. If I understand the ISIS
    licensing agreement correctly, in order to comply, you need to conform
    - redesigning the BB is not an option. Curiously, ISTR that the
    chainline is also part of the standard (but I am very likely mistaken
    in this).

    SYJ

  8. rosco

    rosco Guest

    "Cat Dailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > For those of you who are interested in how the Campy Record Compact with
    > compact front derailleur works:
    >
    > I had an FSA bottom bracket and FSA compact crank with regular Record

    front
    > derailleur. As many others here experienced, the chain would often drop

    off
    > to the inside, despite many, many adjustments. Also, I could not use the
    > 34-23 combination without having bad chainrub. FSA told me that my short
    > chainstays were to blame for the crappy chainline and that they didn't

    have
    > a solution.
    >
    > I put on the new Record compact crank (34-50), bottom bracket, and compact
    > specific front derailleur. VOILA! Great chainline, perfect shifting

    across
    > all the gears without chainrub anywhere (even cross-chained), and I CANNOT
    > get the darned chain to fall off (I am curious to know if you can pick it
    > back up with the front derailleur, since I couldn't with the FSA

    setup...I'd
    > have to get off of the bike to do it).
    >
    > While I think the FSA carbon crank is more aesthetically pleasing than the
    > Record one, I just had to have better performance.
    >
    > Cat
    > who is thrilled that it was SIXTY DEGREES near Philly today after having
    > ridden tow or three times in the twenties in the last week ;>

    I'm looking to get a Campy setup but using the FSA Compact Cranks instead of
    the Campy ones because of lower cost that FSA adheres to the 110 BCD
    standard. I was speaking with the guy from www.GVHbikes.com and he told me
    they have tried the new Campy compact front deraileur with the FSA SL-K
    Compact Megaexo, and it didn't work well at all. They were strongly
    recommending using the regular Campy front derailuer. I believe the Megaexo
    is an entirely different setup than ISIS, so that may create a difference as
    well.

  9. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On 3 Jan 2005 02:34:10 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >I'm pretty sure that the FSA cranks mentioned by Cat are designed
    >around the ISIS standard - 108mm BB. If I understand the ISIS
    >licensing agreement correctly, in order to comply, you need to conform
    >- redesigning the BB is not an option. Curiously, ISTR that the
    >chainline is also part of the standard (but I am very likely mistaken
    >in this).

    I'm a bit suspect of FSA. Their square taper crank needed a "103" bb.
    People were searching around for the Shimano 103 JIS, which became
    almost unobtainium, and used 107 JIS. At the crank hole on the back
    of the crank were the letters, ISO. Turns out a Campy 102 bb was a
    perfect match. The cranks were 130 bolt pattern but I think they came
    in 135 also.

    I wonder how much retooling that they did when they went for a 108
    ISIS fitting?

  10. Jim P

    Jim P Guest

    Cat Dailey wrote:
    > "Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 20:51:01 -0500, "Cat Dailey"
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I put on the new Record compact crank (34-50), bottom bracket, and

    > compact
    >
    >>>specific front derailleur. VOILA! Great chainline, perfect shifting

    > across
    >
    >>>all the gears without chainrub anywhere (even cross-chained), and I

    > CANNOT
    >
    >>>get the darned chain to fall off (I am curious to know if you can pick it
    >>>back up with the front derailleur, since I couldn't with the FSA

    > setup...I'd
    >
    >>>have to get off of the bike to do it).

    >>I'd like to guess that if you took the Campy 50t ring and put it on
    >>the FSA cranks, that the chain would not drop either. I don't think
    >>that the front derailleur would pick up the dropped chain either.
    >>That's easy enough to test.
    >>
    >>I'm guessing that the placement and length of the shift pins on the
    >>FSA ring are the culprit in both the ring being rubbed when crossed
    >>with the small ring and hanging onto the chain for a fraction of a
    >>second too long.

    > Nope, it was the chainline. FSA acknowledged as much and said it was "a
    > problem" with short chainstay bikes like mine. For some reason, the drive
    > side crank sits too far away from the bb.
    >
    > Cat

    Thanks for the posting... I have had the problem w/ the chain dropping
    off the inside as well. I am running the FSA carbon compact crank w/ the
    FSA Platinum BB (108)on a meduim Giant TCR frame (short chainstay). I
    just put the Campy compact specific front derraileur on and the shifting
    appears to be much better and the chain has yet to drop. I will be
    making a longer ride over the weekend to make sure. The trimming of the
    derraileur when on the large chain ring appears to be a bit more
    finicky, but I may need to make an adjustment here.