Campy compatability (again!)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul Westall, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. Paul Westall

    Paul Westall Guest

    Thanks for the great info I have received on this group so far. I thought I was all set to order
    parts to fix up one of my road bikes, but now I'm not sure. While looking at the new Nashbar
    catalog, I noticed that all of their Campy derailleurs are supposed to work only with 2001 and newer
    shifters. I have 8 speed Veloce shifters, which I hope not to replace. The derailleur is very worn,
    and I suspect that the cassette is as well. I was hoping to replace the derailleur, 8 speed cassette
    and chain. Is it true that the new derailleurs willnot work on older ('90's, but not sure of year)
    drive trains? If this is true, does anyone have a reasonably priced used derailleur for sale that
    would be compatable? TIA Paul

    Tags:

  2. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 00:21:33 GMT, "Paul Westall" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is it true that the new derailleurs willnot work on older ('90's, but not sure of year) drive
    >trains? If this is true, does anyone have a reasonably priced used derailleur for sale that would
    >be compatable? TIA Paul

    A new derailleur will work fine.

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Paul Westall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks for the great info I have received on this group so far. I thought
    > was all set to order parts to fix up one of my road bikes, but now I'm not sure. While looking at
    > the new Nashbar catalog, I noticed that all of
    their
    > Campy derailleurs are supposed to work only with 2001 and newer shifters.
    > have 8 speed Veloce shifters, which I hope not to replace. The derailleur is very worn, and I
    > suspect that the cassette is as well. I was hoping to replace the derailleur, 8 speed cassette and
    > chain. Is it true that the
    new
    > derailleurs willnot work on older ('90's, but not sure of year) drive trains? If this is true,
    > does anyone have a reasonably priced used derailleur for sale that would be compatable?

    If you review that question here in archives you'll see that techicians who enjoy some volume of
    Campagnolo service business ( like us) install new changers in early Ergo systems routinely. Our
    customers are happy (we could not get away with sloppy performance ).

    There is a theoretical variance that seems to be lost in the noise of a bicycle gear train ( upper
    pulley float, etc).

    Others note that this is not "supposed" to shift well. At least one rider claimed here that his new
    changer did not shift well in his older Ergo system. I do not doubt him but there may be more to
    that than just the changer.

    To optimize any modern index system, ensure the control wire and casing are not worn or damaged,
    double check changer alignment and note that replacements for worn Ergo springs are inexpensive,
    available and easily changed.

  4. Paul-<< While looking at the new Nashbar catalog, I noticed that all of their Campy derailleurs are
    supposed to work only with 2001 and newer shifters.
    >><BR><BR>

    Noty so in actual practice. Older ERGO works just fine with new rear ders and vice versa.

    << I have 8 speed Veloce shifters, which I hope not to replace. The derailleur is very worn, and I
    suspect that the cassette is as well. >><BR><BR>

    Just put on any Campagnolop rear der-it will work well.

    << If this is true, does anyone have a reasonably priced used derailleur for sale that would be
    compatable? >><BR><BR>

    Not true, see above....